Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checking in, it's been a while.

I'm setting up my trading account for regular trading of 2 positions (selling calls and puts).

I've set it up this morning and have plans to keep rolling the losing leg. Positions in the account:

800 x TSLA
-8 x Apr 16 900c
-8 x Apr 16 900p
+9 x Jan '21 1300c
$150k cash
(Margin maintenance excess is at $104k)

My plan is to keep selling equal number of calls and puts with the same expiry date (a short strangle?) and roll the leg(s) that's at risk. Have been holding about -6 puts so far through this major TSLA dip and had no effect on my account, so I think so far it proved to be somewhat safe. Rolling these will likely generate 5 digit $ income every month for my family.

Looking for any feedback or warnings about this.

Is your margin requirement for Tesla 40%? Do you hold anything else other than Tesla in that account? someone said that E-trade changed my margin requirement for Tesla to 50% because I only hold 700 shares of Tesla and nothing else.

I think this is a good case study to re-align some misconceptions about buying calls, and awesome that it can be a situation where someone has ~doubled their money in a few weeks as opposed to a kicking the dog kind of thing. Diving into these concepts:

1. I suck at timing the market: This one is echoed quite a bit in this thread and, as you've found, one doesn't really need a complicated algorithm to identify probable direction. At its core directional trading is actually quite straightforward, and if we're really honest with the core of this apple, few if any people out there making the "I suck at timing the market" statement that have actually made a concerted effort to actually try.

The other big part of "I sell options because I suck at directional trading" is a false perception that its all about theta decay. In fact, as is evidence by folks in this thread, much if not most of those profits folks are realizing from sold contracts are actually coming from directional movement. So...if someone is actually making money selling options, they're actually already doing a pretty decent job of "timing the market". And of course, the big rub on this is that ∆ becomes progressively less favorable for profit on a sold contract, versus progressively more favorable for a bought contract...

Further impacting the false perception that selling options is all about theta, a good portion of the non-directional profit folks are taking are from decreasing volatility. (Not to mention that pretty much any profit taking in an increasing volatility environment will be from ∆)

The bottom line for anyone playing the "can't time the market" card is 1) Most folks aren't haven't actually tried to "time" the market" and 2) Most folks are making most of their profit by "good timing" on directional underlying movement.

2. The clock is running against me: It is generally bad practice to buy close expiration contracts because they are a) massively impacted by volatility changes and b) more unfavorably impacted by theta decay. Close expirations can work for VERY short position durations (like day trading) but a general rule of thumb is to not buy options any closer than 3 months expiration, and you are right to think about closing them out sooner rather than later Generally theta will burn off ~10% of the value of those bought options over the course of ~1 month.

3. The wild price swings are jarring: Its good to remember that ~1 bought contract is ~equivalent to ~1 sold contract. The diverging greeks [between sold and bought contracts] of course means that's only true within a small window, but its close enough for the thought experiment. So, your 11 OTM +C's calls are going to move more or less as fast as had you sold 11 OTM -P's. As you might imagine, and as others have shared, if you were holding 11 -P's (or CCs) over this pullback your account balance would have suffered a pretty jarring drawdown.
Thank you for your thoughtful post! Very helpful.

Reactions: bxr140
Just checking in, it's been a while.

I'm setting up my trading account for regular trading of 2 positions (selling calls and puts).

I've set it up this morning and have plans to keep rolling the losing leg. Positions in the account:

800 x TSLA
-8 x Apr 16 900c
-8 x Apr 16 900p
+9 x Jan '21 1300c
$150k cash
(Margin maintenance excess is at $104k)

My plan is to keep selling equal number of calls and puts with the same expiry date (a short strangle?) and roll the leg(s) that's at risk. Have been holding about -6 puts so far through this major TSLA dip and had no effect on my account, so I think so far it proved to be somewhat safe. Rolling these will likely generate 5 digit $ income every month for my family.

Looking for any feedback or warnings about this.
Options Alpha suggests adjusting the leg not at risk...

Newbie question... I am curious about the advantage of -c900 and -p900, plus the work to roll a leg afterwards.

Compared to, say, setting up in one trade -c900 -p690 (if i am assuming 690-900 is closing range).

I ***think*** the same strikes will generate a significantly higher credit, and it's cheaper to just roll a leg later???

What am i missing? Thanks in advance!

There's really little value to a DITM -P. Its really just a shitty version of a high ∆ +C position, and only makes sense in the highest of volatility environments. The major issue is that the extrinsic value 'bubble' peaks ATM--that is, the farther you go from the money (in either direction, ITM or OTM) the extrinsic value drops off. This can be ok for a DOTM -P where you give yourself a wide safety margin, and even an slightly ITM -P where there's still a good amount of extrinsic value to burn off, but with a DITM -P the extrinsic value and corollary theta become all but irrelevant and by far your position's primary method of generating profit is from upward underlying movement. In other words, a DITM -P is explicitly a directional position that relies on its high ∆.

As noted its a shitty high ∆ position, because as underlying moves in your favor the DITM -P's ∆ decreases, progressively decreasing the rate at which the position generates profit. Not a huge deal for small underlying movement (single digit %’s) but progressively worse as price keeps going up.

Volatility also really starts to nuke potential profit as well when you start DOTM, as both the IV and Vega bubbles peak ATM. What that means is that even with NO fundamental change in volatility (which in reality would likely be unfavorable to you if price starts to shoot up), as underlying starts to come toward your DOTM strike IV and Vega will climb up their respective bubbles and in doings so naturally drive up the extrinsic value of the contract...which of course is unfavorable to you. Again, less of a deal with small underlying movement, then progressively worse.

Don't get sucked into thinking the mega credit on a DITM sold contract is a good thing. Other than what you realize as profit through directional movement of the underlying you have to give most of that credit back when you close the contract.

Anyway, IMHO far more sensible than a 900 -P would be to sell a DOTM - P for the same amount ofextrinsic value. You collect the ~same profit on time decay but you all but take the directional element out of the position. Or sell the 690 -P as you've identified and at least rake in a ton of extrinsic value. Then if you're also looking to capitalize on underlying directional movement, build a long position [that, as noted upthread many times, can include short legs].

I guess this all goes back to the notion of it being a fundamental requirement to understand how a position is actually going to generate profit before entering a position (which of course, is why you're asking the question--that's a good thing!). Bottom line, a DITM -P doesn't generally generate profit in a very efficient way.

I've been rolling 8 sold Puts for a few weeks now. I've generally been rolling out a couple of weeks and down as much as possible at zero cost. They're currently all at 19th March expiry with strikes between 785 and 820. I'm pretty comfortable with it since I had a similiar experience earlier in the year on the call side. I'd much rather be selling puts and calls together but it's nice to be able to recover from the unexpected and keep earning premiums.

I've had to manage portfolio margin along the way. Buying cheap puts has minimal impact on my margin calculation and I've found selling calls to be more effective. I'm currently maintaining at least 8 sold calls at a time and this is helping keep the margin healthy and some buying power intact.
Good to hear, thank you!

You mentioned to sell calls to manage margin, I guess those are covered calls? otherwise I’d think, that those would have a negative impact on margin?

Good to hear, thank you!

You mentioned to sell calls to manage margin, I guess those are covered calls? otherwise I’d think, that those would have a negative impact on margin?
Yes, all covered calls. I try to roughly balance the -C to -P but will sell excess covered calls if required to reign in margin on any DITM -P's. By margin I'm referring to my excess liquidity based on portfolio margin calculations, not an interest bearing negative margin balance. My -P's are generally margin backed with some degree of nakedness, although any real risk of early exercise would be covered by margin/excess liquidity.

I haven't sold anything this week. The last couple of weeks when I sell calls or puts on Monday or Tuesday I get crappy premiums and then the stock moves a lot on Wednesday and I end up underwater for the week hoping that contracts expire OTM. I am Testing that theory this week and the way is going so far I see some puts and put spread to be sold later today.

Reactions: Tslynk67
I haven't sold anything this week. The last couple of weeks when I sell calls or puts on Monday or Tuesday I get crappy premiums and then the stock moves a lot on Wednesday and I end up underwater for the week hoping that contracts expire OTM. I am Testing that theory this week and the way is going so far I see some puts and put spread to be sold later today.

I'd recommend caution when trying to base a strategy on days of the week. Longer term there's not a lot of statistical relevance to directional probability between the days of the week, and in fact the standard deviation is pretty much equal across the week (its a slight downtrend as the week moves on). In reality, ups and downs are pretty much all governed by the bigger picture trend and much more accurately identified by other indicators; strategizing based on days of the week is heavy on trees and light on forest.

I'm a big proponent of technical analysis and real data, and if you can truly find something statistically relevant in the days of the week that's awesome (and please share, because I've hunted for something relevant for years)...but I'd encourage extreme skepticism when taking unquantified advice about days of the week and absolutely would discourage building a strategy around short term subjective observations.

I'm in the setup phase of a new and roughly half sized account. For me this is a rollover IRA as I bring former work retirement accounts under my direct control.

This also leaves me in a 700/705 strangle expiring this week.

I've rolled this 700/705 short strangle expiring this week to a 665/710 strangle expiring Apr 1. The call strike is a .35 delta and the put strike was the lowest strike I could get to for a net credit. The overall position was rolled for an approximately $8 net credit (9 total contracts - 5 put and 4 call - for a ~$7200 credit).

When I previously rolled the put from 650 to 700 I was more concerned with the shares continuing upwards. I think that I'll be a little bit less quick on the trigger and a bit less aggressive in a similar situation in the future. For instance - on that first roll I might have rolled to 680 or 690 instead; a smaller increase in the premium to age out this week, while leaving me with a wider range in which the shares could move profitably.

As a bonus I've accumulated enough additional cash to add a 6th put and went for the 500 strike. That's the .06 delta and worth a $5 premium (I was surprised at how high this is).

Today's trades for me

To capture short-term movements on the put side:
-1 x Mar 19 670p this morning at $26.29
+1 x Mar 19 670p noon-ish at $9.80

On the calls side, I did this yesterday:
-8 x Mar 19 720c at $8.85
Then today I rolled that into 705s based on price action
+8 x Mar 19 720c at $2.80
-8 x Mar 19 705c at $4.59

Also purchased 2 of my current favorites (now holding 11 of them with a 30% total gain, aiming for 300%)
+2 x Jan 21 1300c for $61.71 avg

Well I caught the peak at $700 yesterday and closed out the rest of the $725 April 1 calls I bought when we were in the $500’s. I’m happy with the 85% return I got from that bet.

Turned around and sold 5x $800 April 9 cc for $14.10. They’re trading at $10.50 now with today’s dip.

Near term goal is to build up enough cash to sell a cash covered put that I’ll roll until assigned.

I like this job

Well I caught the peak at $700 yesterday and closed out the rest of the $725 April 1 calls I bought when we were in the $500’s. I’m happy with the 85% return I got from that bet.

Turned around and sold 5x $800 April 9 cc for $14.10. They’re trading at $10.50 now with today’s dip.

Near term goal is to build up enough cash to sell a cash covered put that I’ll roll until assigned.

I like this job
No way am I trading over the P&D or Earnings, stock could go in either direction very fast regardless of what's reported, ergo will be sticking to the weeklies for the next two weeks

I had 2x DITM 805P- assigned mostly on margin well before market open today. It's annoying, especially considering whoever exercised the Puts would likely have made more money just selling the Puts. I've managed to roll the rest of my DITM Puts over to next week and will look to roll the Puts a bit earlier in future.

I have a very large couch coming on Monday so will be able to clear out the margin and then some. Then looking for a nice rise after Monday to sell a bunch of weekly calls.

I had 2x DITM 805P- assigned mostly on margin well before market open today. It's annoying, especially considering whoever exercised the Puts would likely have made more money just selling the Puts.

FWIW, when we talk about Roll Thursday, that's what we're hedging against. The vast majority of assignments come overnight thurs-fri.

Also FWIW, its a good idea to keep an eye on time value of DITM -P's and -C's. If its really small, the MM will likely execute their side of the contract to reduce their hedged exposure. That's because a sold contract with ~zero time value is basically equivalent in value to the shares, especially when the MM factors in their price advantage from owning the B/A spread.

IMHO, never keep an short ITM contract with less than ~5 cents of time value, regardless how close the exporation. Roll, or close and re-allocate the capital. (I also am a proponent of rolling/closing OTM contracts with less than 5 cents time value also, but that's another scenario).

I had 2x DITM 805P- assigned mostly on margin well before market open today. It's annoying, especially considering whoever exercised the Puts would likely have made more money just selling the Puts. I've managed to roll the rest of my DITM Puts over to next week and will look to roll the Puts a bit earlier in future.

I have a very large couch coming on Monday so will be able to clear out the margin and then some. Then looking for a nice rise after Monday to sell a bunch of weekly calls.
Thanks for posting - always helpful to see some of the lessons learned in hopes of not making them myself.

Reactions: MaxPain