Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone looking at rolling deep ITM BPS forward and down? I have Jan 24 -340/303.33P that get assigned every day this past week. It looks like i can roll down to Mar 23 240/203.33. Huge risk that it is only 3 months out, however being 1 year out seems not to be any safer. Puts the BPS back in play if we get any rally off Q4, or other good news.

If anyone has ITM Mar 23 BPS, are they getting exercised?

Am i crazy?

I am desparate.
At this point, I can't find any roll for a credit. Mid point shows a credit and then as soon as i place the order, midpoint becomes a debit. So furstrating, it feels like paying money to roll is throwing good money after bad...

I’m having the hardest time of my life not selling ATM CCs. The stock price action looks so much manipulated I don’t see a rally coming
That pop to 140.75 at 14:16 looked so promising, but AAPL got jumped-on at 14:14, brought the indexes down and stopped the momentum - at least that's my reading of it...

Just need a few things to come together, spook some of the shorts, get a little squeezy

I know, I'm a dreamer... I thought we might close above the heady-heights of 140 today, looking unlikely right now, pfff

Reactions: Jim Holder
Keeping my hands off CC’s for now!
There is no significant rise yet and we might get Giga news on Friday.
Will wait for Monday to see if there is news and a possible reaction to maybe sell CC for next Friday.
Probably no CC’s open because we will get P&D on Monday 01/02 (?).

Had some work managing my margin, but added some cash and good until 115 now and 105 soon.
Tough lesson this is considering margin, but luckily no stock sales.
If I have any money left then might load some shares on 12/30 and write some DITM calls against them to hedge a bit a P&D "miss", can hurt, eh?

That pop to 140.75 at 14:16 looked so promising, but AAPL got jumped-on at 14:14, brought the indexes down and stopped the momentum - at least that's my reading of it...

Just need a few things to come together, spook some of the shorts, get a little squeezy

I know, I'm a dreamer... I thought we might close above the heady-heights of 140 today, looking unlikely right now, pfff
What a deceiving power hour.
I loved the dream of the traders on Twitter expecting a big move up. I’m happy not to be the only dreaming

Defacto support group - I've sold everything. in part because I should have "capitulated" a long long time ago, in part tired of neverending margin calls. My account has been wiped out from a high of $9m a year ago to less than $1m today. I broke down in front of my wife for the first time as the stress of the last 12 months, my many stupid mistakes, and unbelievable world/Elon events have finally broken any lingering optimism. It is a hard thing to swallow knowing that in the span of 12 months I've lost more money than what my entire lifetime's gross income will be.
I know it's all a matter of perspective but while we won't go hungry, my family's path is forever altered like many of you have expressed here. This year will be burned to my crushed soul for as long as I live.
Nothing else to say on topic except maybe I leave options and perhaps the market all together. Clearly I have not been able to successfully incorporate the many lessons and experiences from this board. Wish you all a happy holidays as the year closes and may you find peace and happiness whatever your situation may be.

What a deceiving power hour.
I loved the dream of the traders on Twitter expecting a big move up. I’m happy not to be the only dreaming
I'm sure it will come. This isn't normal selling, this is manipulation by put selling to force Delta hedging, early exercise of puts on a mass-scale to force margin-calls and share selling

The short trade must be very crowded indeed and at some point people are going to look and realise what an amazing price this is to buy the stock, then all hell will break loose. I'm sure this ill happen, but I don't know when. Historically it has happened when least expected, likely when SW crooks decide to flip the switch and wipe-out retail shorts

I think the safest thing we can do right now is not to make any assumptions - that's how I got screwed this year, assuming Q3 P&D was a sure-fire beat, I still think it was and we were robbed, but there you go...

closed my -c150 cc at the open and when sp appeared to be going nowhere i STO BCS instead; 62% in 5 hrs, closing it now
1671655922580.png

Defacto support group - I've sold everything. in part because I should have "capitulated" a long long time ago, in part tired of neverending margin calls. My account has been wiped out from a high of $9m a year ago to less than $1m today. I broke down in front of my wife for the first time as the stress of the last 12 months, my many stupid mistakes, and unbelievable world/Elon events have finally broken any lingering optimism. It is a hard thing to swallow knowing that in the span of 12 months I've lost more money than what my entire lifetime's gross income will be.
I know it's all a matter of perspective but while we won't go hungry, my family's path is forever altered like many of you have expressed here. This year will be burned to my crushed soul for as long as I live.
Nothing else to say on topic except maybe I leave options and perhaps the market all together. Clearly I have not been able to successfully incorporate the many lessons and experiences from this board. Wish you all a happy holidays as the year closes and may you find peace and happiness whatever your situation may be.

I'm so sorry to hear this, and I struggle with what to say - but your message moved me and I feel compelled to say something - so I will offer up a story of my own, for what it's worth.

In the fall of 2020, I suffered from a severely aggravated nerve in my neck. It was absolute hell. Misery. For months. And during all of this, TSLA and my stock portfolio were going gangbusters. TSLA was possibly the only thing I felt like was going right at the time, and I couldn't even really enjoy it. And honestly? I felt like I would have gladly given it all (or maybe just most of it? 😬) just to feel like myself again.

In some ways, I feel like I got my wish - because now I am mostly back to my old self, but TSLA is doing horribly, and I too have had to sell some holdings at non-optimal prices for various reasons, impairing my own financial future.

But I truly believe that at the end of the day, things like my health, my family, matter far more than my wealth - because without them I could be worth as much as Elon himself and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

So when I'm struggling with what you're struggling with now, I try to focus on what really matters to me - and sometimes it helps. A little.

Hang in there.

Another horrible day for TSLA. Markets up nicely and we are looking to close Red. That is basically like losing another 2-4% today, because TSLA could be 130 as soon as the markets sell off again (which could be tomorrow)....

PCE numbers on Friday... I expect it to be good, given the CPI print.

Pretty much the same feeling as you however I didn’t have time to break down in front of my wife because I am always working like crazy to cover margin calls. At least working too much and hearing nurses speaking how they barely can afford groceries at Costco makes me relativise things and I can’t complain from my portfolio going down from 5M to 1M all this while throwing in 500k of fresh money in it.

At least we had the salary of my wife to live the whole year on because she started back working this year after maternity leave. She is happy because our personal investments are all doing extremely well while my corporation investment is a total calamity.

But hey, It’s only money, invented by society, the important things are the people around you, appreciate you and who are there to support you when you have health problems. Homo sapiens sapiens living in caves was happy hunting dears with friend with bow n arrows or lances. We don’t need a roadster to be happy ;)

A bunch of above the money calls volume > 500 contracts showed up the last 20 minutes or so, didn't see many earlier for 12/23... a couple of low puts as well.

EDIT: I'll add the gamma exposure here as well. Yesterday and today's close is about the same, so gamma peak is about the same. p135 interest increased the most as did slightly p130 and p140. c140 increased, c145 slightly, c150 stayed about the same, c160 interest flocked.

TSLA-TotalGamma-21Dec2022.png
TSLA-TotalGamma-20Dec2022.png

Last edited:
Yah, I feel your pain. Every ATM CC that expires worthless seems like a great win, until one realizes that they just made $5, but the stock dropped $20.:mad:
i "solved" this problem by STO ITM CC instead (i wanted higher probability of losing shares)

I think the safest thing we can do right now is not to make any assumptions
and simply pay attention to the price action... if everyone is yelling buy but sp is consolidating instead (like today it is bouncing inside PM low/high), then STO CC above the -c wall

Pierre Roberge’s brief daily TSLA TA analysis (3-5min tops) have been very to the point and drama-free. His post today speaks to this point exactly about how to know when to hop back in buying TSLA shares or calls for those of us considering to:

i ❤️ his analysis, i made notes and tonight i will copy all his lines

Defacto support group - I've sold everything. in part because I should have "capitulated" a long long time ago, in part tired of neverending margin calls. My account has been wiped out from a high of $9m a year ago to less than $1m today.
i am so sorry to hear this and i am not the best person to give advice

everyone is a genius in a bull market and i was in the $xxxK/week club, but this is my 1st yr of trading in a bear market so i made a lot of rookie reckless mistakes... what saved my acct is
  1. learning risk management - DO NOT trade up for the purpose of making more $; trade just enough to meet my income needs; if size is small, loss is also small
  2. moving to all-cash; i decided i wanted to be a trader instead of an investor... also, i was tired of getting upset every time there is a senseless MMD so i detached myself from the share price by selling all shares
  3. TA/fibs/lines/indicators/candlestick patterns - i used to find them all st*pid voodoo and couldn't be bothered but they are my lifeline now
  4. don't be greedy... only 10% profit? i'll take it
  5. YouTube daily summaries - this is free education: watching, listening, studying, reading... why today happened and what to expect next; everyone is just guessing what will happen tomorrow and i don't have to agree to everything but it keeps my antenna to be on the extra lookout

I'm sure it will come. This isn't normal selling, this is manipulation by put selling to force Delta hedging, early exercise of puts on a mass-scale to force margin-calls and share selling

The short trade must be very crowded indeed and at some point people are going to look and realise what an amazing price this is to buy the stock, then all hell will break loose. I'm sure this ill happen, but I don't know when. Historically it has happened when least expected, likely when SW crooks decide to flip the switch and wipe-out retail shorts

I think the safest thing we can do right now is not to make any assumptions - that's how I got screwed this year, assuming Q3 P&D was a sure-fire beat, I still think it was and we were robbed, but there you go...

I totally agree with this perspective. I think the price action right now is dominated by actions in the options market, margin calls, capitulation, and opportunistic short selling. Lots of things that have no bearing on the value or profitability of Tesla. At least today the downward momentum took a pause. That’s a first step to reversal.

At this point we need real company news, like the P&D report to spark a turnaround. Once the momentum shifts, look out above.

I hope you are able to come out of this stronger. I know it’s a tough pill to swallow but try not to worry about the 9m that you had at some point. That’s history now.

I don’t know how old you are but I hope you do not have to worry about retirement in the short term.

On the positive front think about the 1m you have. Not many folks are in that position. Don’t try to recover the 8m and just focus on investing if you think options are not for you. Best wishes from everyone here.

Could you explain this? Is this number of contracts traded? Why such a large 8M green box for February 150 strike, yet MaxPain.com doesn’t show much action at that strike, either OI or today’s trading. Why the difference? Furthermore, MaxPain shows 15,000 c160s for 2/18/23 we’re traded today, yet the heat map tweet only shows 200K at 160. What am I missing?

Reactions: JustMe
Some sad posts on here today. I think it's hard for our family and friends to understand what this experience is like, but it's great that we have this place where we can relate with each other. Hang in there everyone.

I ended up selling all the assigned shares and re-selling my puts out to Feb 13. I'm thinking of these assignments as a "forced roll" these days.

My plan is to try and not watch the stock as much until new years. I need to de-stress and de-Elon for a couple of weeks.