Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday there were 30k -100 for this week, today 34k; so they increased...

I closed out the -p110's I sold yesterday, sold 4x -115 straddle and 30x -c130 for next week, slightly too soon it seems, but there you go

Still have 52 -c130 in play for this week, I'm thinking they might expire, but a lot will depend on CPI, worst case it's an up-and-out roll, although strongly thinking to sell some shares for cash and de-risk a little bit
Same - closed my puts for $0.25 each - 1 day and $1 gain each... Nice.

Still have my CC's for next week that I rolled from $120 --> $125, going to let the theta burn for a bit on these as long as we don't go over $130.

Lets just say I end up losing 600 shares from panic selling at the bottom. Now with 4000 shares in my account, about how long might it take to increase the 4000 shares to 4600 shares, being careful and conservative? And taking into consideration that I study Free Options Trading Courses | Option Alpha and follow this thread and don't bug you guys too much.
In general, the people who have done the best are those in the main thread that have bought and held. It is very difficult to not lose money long term trading options with a stock as volatile as TSLA, even for experienced traders. The Trading Course will get you started, but be prepared to lose (a lot) more money than you make. This thread has resulted in members losing their trading accounts/retirements, going bankrupt, and even dying.

i think my 1/13 -p105 and -c130 are ready for tomorrow's CPI

the question is, should i move them now to 1/20 (to get the credits) and play the IV crush and then bring them back to 1/13 this Fri?

i dunno if that makes sense...

helpmeeeeeeeeeeeee

If you roll back from 1/20 to 1/13, you're trading theta for intrinsic value. I'm assuming you would only do this because you would be fairly certain about the direction of the stock after the CPI prints? If there's no certainty (or at least a better guesstimate), then aren't you adding more risk by rolling back?

Lets just say I end up losing 600 shares from panic selling at the bottom. Now with 4000 shares in my account, about how long might it take to increase the 4000 shares to 4600 shares, being careful and conservative? And taking into consideration that I study Free Options Trading Courses | Option Alpha and follow this thread and don't bug you guys too much.
As others have said, this is a dangerous game and any option plays you do, any at all, carry the risk of massive losses

However, if I were wanting to increase my share count in your position then I would sell weekly covered-calls at a premium that will buy you 12x TSLA. You'd need around $1500 to do that, so you could go for 15x $1 premiums, -c140's for next week, or 40x 0.38, which would be -c150's, or any other permutation that suits your risk tolerance

The benefit of writing a smaller %age of your shares is that you can roll ITM's up and out, but still have contracts available to write for the next week. The benefit of writing 40x low premiums is that based on history, the SP hasn't moved more than 23% up Friday to Friday

But history means nothing and we're at a very low share price now. Just needs good CPI, DED pivot, strong Tesla earnings and guidance, CyberTruck order page, etc., and TSLA could go up 5% daily for a month. We've seen this before, we'll (hopefully) see it again. Then what will you do and how ill you feel? At least you can get wiped-out like with puts or spreads, but you could lose out on a lot of potential gains

Be very, very careful. If you do play this game, start small, play safe, take profits sooner rather than later

You will ge burned, we all got burned, some of us fatally

Edit: to add, you can also sell puts at the strike you sold your shares for, or slightly lower, it might not bring much, but it's essentially risk-free premiums... so if you sold at the absolute low, $101.20 then 6x 1/20 p-100's would net you $200, and a lower CDA if they were to exercise

Last edited:
In general, the people who have done the best are those in the main thread that have bought and held. It is very difficult to not lose money long term trading options with a stock as volatile as TSLA, even for experienced traders. The Trading Course will get you started, but be prepared to lose (a lot) more money than you make. This thread has resulted in members losing their trading accounts/retirements, going bankrupt, and even dying.
I agree. Best case, one needs to dabble with options for a couple of years, keep trade sizes small, and get a feel for the difference between realty and what the options business promotes. Personally, options volatility never seems overstated enough for the associated options premium trading risk. Also, one needs to experience down markets where options rolling can clean the proverbial clock.

That’s 15% more shares, so assuming that you are able to do “safe” CCs, you might earn 0.5%/wk, so about 6mo. I’ve earned up to 1%/wk on CCs, but definitely lose some weeks and need to roll or close for loss. Since you would be new to options, a year might be a conservative estimate. Example, 1/13 -c130s are about $1, so 3/4%. Are they “safe”? Unfortunately, unknown, that’s why people play.

i think my 1/13 -p105 and -c130 are ready for tomorrow's CPI

the question is, should i move them now to 1/20 (to get the credits) and play the IV crush and then bring them back to 1/13 this Fri?

i dunno if that makes sense...

helpmeeeeeeeeeeeee
I know your goals, and everyone else, may be different. While away at work, I missed closing a -110/+105 BPS this morning for what could have been 85% ... good enough return for 1 day. At that same time I could have opened a +137/-132 BCS for just under a dollar with similar intentions, to skim when possible. It's just how I am personally managing risk.

OT: Checking roll targets into Jun '25, Fidelity only shows put strikes up to 240. Is that the same on other platforms?

Once you study the course, you will understand how much you can make every week depends on IV and how for OTM you sell the call. This post tells you about 16% is "safe" by looking at history. So, you can figure out at various IV how much you can make.

Yoona's TSLA Safe Iron Condor Range for 5 DTE Trading - Last 52 Weeks

View attachment 883811

2022 OTM:
View attachment 883830

1673458632854.png

I agree. Best case, one needs to dabble with options for a couple of years, keep trade sizes small, and get a feel for the difference between realty and what the options business promotes. Personally, options volatility never seems overstated enough for the associated options premium trading risk. Also, one needs to experience down markets where options rolling can clean the proverbial clock.
1000X YES to the last sentence. I thought I was not being greedy with all my BPSs because I was far OTM and thought I could roll my way out. Lost 2/3 of my retirement shares and my plane.

The same applies to Bull runs. A member of TMC who doesn't post much anymore lost out on all the large gains from 2019 on because his CC got trapped (lost his shares) and he could never buy back in where he wanted. CC could get dangerous in the coming months/year if you plan on keeping your shares for the next 10X TSLA growth.

TSLA on CPI Days

-/+14 tom?

View attachment 894620
Markets appear to be expecting a cooler print, question is, how cool, and if in line with market expectation, will it sell on the news or rally more? If the numbers come in hot, what then, big sell-off? If numbers come in very cold, will the FED roll out some talking-heads to throw a spanner in the works?

As for TSLA, we already rallied >20% today from last Friday's pre-market low, that's already huge. We have three bit call-walls at 120 / 125 / 130, l would expect the Hedgies to defend those

Markets appear to be expecting a cooler print, question is, how cool, and if in line with market expectation, will it sell on the news or rally more? If the numbers come in hot, what then, big sell-off? If numbers come in very cold, will the FED roll out some talking-heads to throw a spanner in the works?

As for TSLA, we already rallied >20% today from last Friday's pre-market low, that's already huge. We have three bit call-walls at 120 / 125 / 130, l would expect the Hedgies to defend those
So not closing your contracts today? I’m in doubt 🧐

• Funny
Reactions: Max Plaid
I closed all my 127. Trimmed my 129s. Closed a few at higher strikes cause they are cheap what is the point of sweating it. Kept all my 129s in my tax free account. Don't care what happens there.

Rolling my CCs worked flawlessly last year, but this year may well be a different story.

Obviously should have been buying calls the past week.

We forget quickly just how hard TSLA sold off and how quickly it might decide to trade in the 180s again, which, if I recall correctly, was the opportunity of a lifetime!

4x -c115 that I was looking to close as I'd already opened the same for next week and wanted to complete the roll, but it's so few contracts that if necessary I can throw them way out and up

Also have 52x -c130's that I don't expect to go ITM, but if they do I may let half of them exercise to de-risk. That would be on shares that were put between 180 - 200, but I've milked a LOT of premium out of them already, so net loss wouldn't be much and, as I said, it would be a de-risking manoeuvre

If we're looking to be going back up, the easy money will be made selling puts, not calls, so a bit more cash in the bank would be welcome

Last edited: