Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
low volumes all across the major stocks (given the lower price, looks weird to me, so maybe this is just retail buying in, smart money staying out of it)
Just to be sure I sold the PLTR shares again, thinking this only is a little test, because, if it would have been a real bargain, volume should have been above average. Or?

I placed a 7/7 IC order at the bid, it didn't fill. I'd revised it again at the bid, still didn't fill. Tried once more, the day ended, IC left unfilled and cancelled. It was probably meant to end this way. Overall I booked credits the past two weeks. Trying to figure out what to do for next week. With the SP trading flat AND earnings around the corner, I may open a 7/14 +p245/-p255/-c300/+c310 IC, experimenting as one member posted, by filling the long sides first then back fill the short pairs into strength. I'll have to locate that post to re-read the method.

Rolled another 30x 7/21 -c200 to 27x 10/20 -c200, so 3x less

Am travelling the next week so at least wanted to get this out of the way, still 9x to treat, but hoping I can close those out with premiums from weeklies, will see...

Tomorrow: 30x -c260 & 12x -c280 -> undecided whether to let the shares get called or free-roll the lot to 45x -c280 next week to straddle the 30x -p260 I already wrote, seems like a good idea to me, although it won't necessarily bring in any extra premium, it would be a great facilitator if all those calls expired

I'm not worried about the 30x -p280, even in the event of a correction given that I bought the 30x Jan 24 +p250 earlier this week, but won't write more than 30x -p until my 3000 shares are back into cash

I placed a 7/7 IC order at the bid, it didn't fill. I'd revised it again at the bid, still didn't fill. Tried once more, the day ended, IC left unfilled and cancelled. It was probably meant to end this way. Overall I booked credits the past two weeks. Trying to figure out what to do for next week. With the SP trading flat AND earnings around the corner, I may open a 7/14 +p245/-p255/-c300/+c310 IC, experimenting as one member posted, by filling the long sides first then back fill the short pairs into strength. I'll have to locate that post to re-read the method.
That was probably my post. I definitely have trouble getting -ICs to execute, especially if the legs are far from the SP (which are the safest ones). Sometimes they don’t even hit at ask, but usually between ask and the midpoint. I can’t sell short and long sides separately. However, I can sell the -p/+p pair separately from the -c/+c pair (ie put in two separate orders). This takes twice the cash backing initially, until the orders hit, then they pair up and form an IC. One method is to put in both the bps and bcs orders before open at about 5-10% above the last trade. Often the IV is so high at open, and the SP jumps back and forth, that both order sides will hit fairly quickly. Doesn’t always work, especially when the SP goes ballistic in a single direction. GLTA.

Closed out a bunch of this week’s ICs just because the SP was dropping so far and I didn’t like the feeling. Rolled some to 7/14 , but not excited about the -p272.50 side. Still holding a few wider ones that should expire worthless (close orders in at $0.05 for both short legs, just in case I sleep in and there are some early shenanigans). It will be interesting to see what happens to the 2x -p272.50/-c282.50 experimental set. I’m up $100 on the pair, but will monitor closely and close/roll as needed.

Still feeling we'll end between 277.5 and 282.5 today. Here's the OI shift, who knows how MM will play this or what the strategy should be for next week. GLTA!

day2dayoi-6-7.png

left Brussels with TSLA red in pre-market, landed in Stockholm and it had flipped green, so STO 3x -c280 @2.1, 15x for the day along with the 30x -c260

Looks like rolling the lot to 45x -c280 for next week for break-even, but obviously raising the -c260’s up $20, which would be juicy gains or 45x contracts to rewrite…

Edit: indeed, rolled al this week's calls to 7/14 -c280's

Last edited:
1) Bought 1000 tsla shrs pre market $ 276.00
and sold CC.

Buy tsla 1000 shr @ 276.00 premarket
and
STO -10x CC tsla 230707C80 @8.20

for credit $8.20

2) Rolled another CC position c255 to c280 with longer time expiration

BTC -10x CC tsla 230707C255 @ 24.50
STO -10x CC tsla 230721C280 @ 16.85

for debit $7.65

This was a profitable week.
The c280 CC was closed @ .05 and stock position converted to CSP.
The other c280 CC remains unchanged

BTC +10x CC tsla 230707C80 @.05
STC 1000 tsla @278.5

P/L stock +3.5k option +8.15k

STO -10x CSP tsla 230714P275 @5.50

Another decent week for most of my ICs, pulling in around 5-6%. Had one lucky set that yielded >12% (+p260/-p270/-c285/+c295), $2.5k on $20k risk. Another set was centered too high (because I believed the SP would rise), so rolled them to next week. Because of this, decided to de risk some 7/14 positions with the profits. Closed half of my 7/14 IBs: +p260/-p275/-c275/+c290 at about 10% profit. These were rolled into from losing ITM BCS weeks ago (originally received $11.68 cr, 78%!!!!!). I’m actually pretty happy with the close, as well as the continued position, given Friday’s $274.43 close, but there were just too many, and I couldn’t risk losing that much capital. IBs are best used when IV is expected to drop, and the SP remains stable (which rarely happens with TSLA). If they were ICs, such as +p260/-p270/-c280/+c290, I would have left them because it’s an easier roll. Still have various ICs and IBs, centered at/above/below the SP, all weeks in July, so still much more de risking to do before closing any LEAP CCs. I worry that the bears are in control and will continue to push down the SP going into earnings. At least the CCs will act as a hedge if the SP drops, so a buyback is less costly. As always, GLTA and enjoy a real life, not just a virtual one.

TSLA Performance Before P&D Press Release to Earnings Week Friday Close

we are currently at -0.63% OTM (Dec 30 Close 123.18 to today 122.40), fingers crossed - could swing violently to -/+20% as per past 4 quarters

View attachment 895695

View attachment 895691
Just in case anyone remembers Yoona’s useful posts. Edit: This gets me thinking that ICs with short legs +/-15% should be relatively safe. Right now that works out to around +p225/-p235/-c315/+c325, which are paying approximately 1.7%. Apparently, I’ve been more aggressive than safe. Oops. Looking at the MaxPain website, I might go more like +p240/-p250/-c305/+c315 at closer to $0.60 (6%). However, I’m trying to watch and wait until Wednesday. Not advice .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jim Holder
Just in case anyone remembers Yoona’s useful posts. Edit: This gets me thinking that ICs with short legs +/-15% should be relatively safe. Right now that works out to around +p225/-p235/-c315/+c325, which are paying approximately 1.7%. Apparently, I’ve been more aggressive than safe. Oops. Looking at the MaxPain website, I might go more like +p240/-p250/-c305/+c315 at closer to $0.60 (6%). However, I’m trying to watch and wait until Wednesday. Not advice .

I did the put side end of day for .50 , +245/-255 ... I like yours better. I'd targeted the same call spread Friday but it didn't hit. I might have set it at .60 while SP was at 280. I'll be watching for the same Monday.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Very interested in @dl003 ’s predictions this week. Looking at the long term chart, the SP is pushing up against a descending line and the 1.618 Fibonacci extension from the January low to the February high. This seems to coincide at $190 this week. Perhaps a local high, and turn around point, before a continued push dow into earnings. Tomorrow????

IMG_2155.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
This post might be my most complete analysis going forward. Please note the clear distinction between possible / likely and impossible / unlikely. When I say possible, I'm speaking in the broadest of sense.

Let's start with a blank slate
1688990282157.png

On the above chart you will notice 2 areas red and blue. They cover the 1.618 and 1.236 projection of the first leg up from 102 to 217. This projection is begins from the correction low of 152.3.

The most important question right now is will we have a 3 wave or a 5 wave rally off the generational low of 102? If we have a 5 waver, then it is nearly impossible to make a new low. Extremely unlikely. If it's a 3 waver, then it is possible we make a new low.

A 5 waver will be numbered 12345 and a 3 waver will be lettered ABC. So we have wave 1/A from 102 to 217. Wave 2/B from 217 to 152.3. One of the most common level for wave C to terminate is the 100% projection of wave A, which put the big test at 268. As you can see. We had a false breakout and sharp rejection off that level one week before P&D. That's when I turned a bit defensive and prepared for a test of 217 should P&D miss estimates. Once P&D was released and it's a 20k beat, we decisively broke through 268 and the next big level is 296.

296 is big for a few reasons. Below this level, a 3 waver scenario is still possible. Plus, the big bad resistance trendline running from November 2021 hangs right on it. I think it's likely we'll reach 296 because of how the stock is currently positioning itself.

1688991084845.png

If you look at the last 2 times this resistance was tested, you can see 2 sharp rejections right at the contact point. This time we're flagging under it which is a bullish sign.

What happens after 296? Past 296 is 340, which is the 1.618 projection of wave 1/A. At this level, it becomes extremely likely that we're looking at a 5 waver. Therefore, it will take a stellar ER and outlook to get to it. If we rally to 340 post ER, most likely it won't be a bull trap on the longer timeframe (explanation below).

Technically, a dead cat bounce can still reach 340. However, since it is so far above the resistance trendline, a dead cat bounce will be extremely unlikely if 340 is reached. It's still possible, but unlikely.

If this is a 5 waver, the 1.618 projection of wave 1 (340) is the conventional limit for wave 3. From there, we can expect some profit taking and retest of the trendline around 270, before going up again at the end of the year. From 390, we can start an ABC correction to 212-250, which will coincide with the first half of 2024, a period traditionally weak for TSLA. From there we will be ready for a big run to 600+. Please note that the ABC correction doesn't have to end in 6 months. While the target remains 212-250, it can take longer than that, which it did before throughout TSLA history. A lot of factors can influence this timing.

1688991912258.png

Now, what if TSLA can't get to 340? Maybe the Cybertruck is delayed once more. Maybe gross margin will disappoints. If that happens, 296 will become the top of this leg up, which will return TSLA back into limbo, since a dead cat bounce is still likely at 296. From there, we would have 2 scenarios.

The first scenario is a retest of the 217 - 230 zone before a blockbuster Q3 ER which will take TSLA past 296. This is not a conventional setup and it's really difficult to predict the top of wave 5. We will still have an ABC correction that takes us back to 220 by June 2024.
1688992670382.png

The second scenario is more grim. If macros deteriorates and the Fed implements more rate hikes, a big dead cat bounce from 102 to 296 can become a reality. The question then will be: will we make a new low, lower than 102? I think it's possible, but unlikely. I'm saying this because the drop to 102 was unnatural. Without Elon's selling, I don't think we would have dropped as far as we did. Therefore, it will take a literal disaster to break the 102 low if this turns out to be a dead cat. What I think might happen is we will start a benign triangle correction from 296 like this.

1688993292351.png

Therefore, my plan right now is:

Net long delta to 296, then close my positions and observe.
If we are rejected at 296, wait for a retest of 217-230.
If 217 holds, then net long delta for another test of the resistance trendline later this year, but I will know the subsequent correction will reach 217 minimum.
If 217 doesn't hold, then be defensive until we've bottomed out.
If we break 296, then net long delta to 340.
At 340, lighten up my position and prepare for the pullback to end at 270, then net long delta to 380.
At 380, close all long positions.