Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anyone watched DumbMoney on Netflix? I watch it before ER and it gave me chills. It reminded of my crazy experience with Tesla. Nvdia seems to be another stock with a crazy run that might eventually correct. Anyway I diamond handed Tesla for years but I don't want to be nurse in the movie. I think I am going to take a break and just enjoy the 5% interest a year on my cash for some time.

1706241666694.png

(Credit: JakeWu)

Dl003 started the Long Spread and we took it from there.
Cheaper way vs doing plain Long and allowed us to buy more closer ITM option at a reduced costs.

The trick is to aligned the short leg so SP never reach there upon expiration.
Talking about 10x or 20x max win to loss. The farther OTM the higher the multiplier.

Doing a wider leg give more room for profit, but also more cost.

View attachment 1012256

Add the Call Side as well and you have a cheap strangle.

View attachment 1012257

edit: but come-on 150? That would make a lots of people depressed......
i will do the call, i have restrctions on put side

• Funny
Reactions: Jim Holder
Lol. It’s a game of chicken. For me my fear is if I’m wrong the cost is $6,000 for each dollar it goes against me, meaning if I’m out at $194 and it bounces @ $193 back to $198 I’m out $24k. But oddly the greater losses of my longs just holding as they tank doesn’t jangle the same nerves.
Morning thoughts...

Personally I'm very much against trading shares, in large volumes anyway. Partly because there's quite some broker fees and local taxes applied to the transaction, but also I cannot deduct losses from share sales here, so it's an easy way to accumulate realised gains, but end up without capital left to pay the taxes 😬

Secondly it's too final for my liking, you make a wrong move, it flies against you and you're toast... if you're really worried it's going to dump, sell DITM calls, easier to repair those than lost shares IMO, you'll always gain something from the extrinsic and can essentially roll forever against shares until recovery

I have sold all my shares twice, 9000x (bought pre-first split) end 2021, then 12000x over the course of 2023 -> the first sell in 2021 was a good move, rebuying way too high and then selling pretty low was very bad. I was way too emotional and sure of the price direction, I was wrong

Regarding accumulating shares now and being worried about the SP not going up, it occurred to me (during a bout of insomnia at 4AM this morning...) that I am holding 65x June 2026 +p270's, OK, I have written Sep 2024 -p270's against those, but I have 2.5 years to close out those short puts, then I have a guaranteed selling price for 6500 TSLA shares in 2026, although more likely if the stock was still down here, I'd just take the cash at that moment

Another point regarding my buying of shitcalls to write against... again on reflection whilst lying awake and working through 1000x trading strategies, I thought back on last year when I bought 150x LEAPS Dec 2025 +c140's and +c200's when the SP was around $170 -> I immediately sold short -c200 against these for expiry 7 weeks later as I was utterly convinced the SP was going sideways. Of course it went up fast almost to $300 and potential gains of $1.5m were capped = big mistake... But had I also bought some covering shitcalls at the same moment when the stock was low, then I could have sold the LEAPS for the huge gains and then managed the short calls in the interim

So this makes sense now for my strategy - the shitcalls aren't exactly for selling against, they're the safety-net in case my short calls sold against stock and LEAPS go DITM, and the converse for puts - essentially cash-covered, but with some shitputs to save the day in case of severe dumpage

Anyone watched DumbMoney on Netflix? I watch it before ER and it gave me chills. It reminded of my crazy experience with Tesla. Nvdia seems to be another stock with a crazy run that might eventually correct. Anyway I diamond handed Tesla for years but I don't want to be nurse in the movie. I think I am going to take a break and just enjoy the 5% interest a year on my cash for some time.
Yeah, watched it last Saturday... not sure it really conveyed the excitement and frenzy we had at the time though

As for a drop to 100 or lower, that is a sobering thought...

I'm thinking to extend my +p200's, currently expiring March 15th, until January 2025 - would cost +$13 per contract, but I feel it might be money well-spent

And given that I have weekly -p200's currently written against the March+p's, would give a lot more time to get out of those with profits

You could argue that right now isn't the moment to be buying puts, but I'll be taking nearly +$10 profit on the existing ones, so it essentially evens out

The gap she must be filled!… was he too scared to plot this out to $155 and $108?

Just between us folks, I do not see the $108 gap as legitimate gap to fill. There are many times when I take the 4sd move OUT of the picture and the landscape becomes more clear and realistic.

The gap she must be filled!… was he too scared to plot this out to $155 and $108?

Just between us folks, I do not see the $108 gap as legitimate gap to fill. There are many times when I take the 4sd move OUT of the picture and the landscape becomes more clear and realistic.
Do you see $207 gap fill coming our way and back to $170’s?

Do you see $207 gap fill coming our way and back to $170’s?
Depends on the timeframe. I do NOT see us getting back over $200 for a while now at least a month. (now of course we’ll pop to 235 by mid Feb /s - which I’d be fine with)

That ever growing pile of puts down at $180 seems to me to be some REALLY incented person/s trying to put an absolute floor on this puppy. We could certainly undershoot based on the current and rising term structure around it. I’m pretty confident that for accumulation sub $164 is out there, sub $138 likely no. There isn’t a lot of great data at these levels below $155. I’m probably going to put together a pretty tight IC with $172/$177 and probably $196/$204. - managing the legs as we move.

There’s no real catalyst here in the near term (other than price cuts possibly, political moves around IRA, EV demand overall continuing to wane, things like that), which means MM can use this time to try and take more shares at lower prices. Paging Ken Griffin.

FWIW heard today that since TSLA trades with a penny spread SSR doesn't really accomplish anything 💡
Yeah, it’s not like a circuit breaker.. and since DAILY TSLA trades more options than any other security (ok, NVDA and a couple others take A daily win sometimes) short traders can accomplish nearly as much with options and other share LOAN shenanogans. And that’s pretty much how they are doing it anyway.

It’s like whether or not it’s the tail or the dog wagging. Historically if one wanted the “short” a company, it was with the stock. Stock position would ultimately LEAD derivative position. Today, it’s’ easier, faster, LESS REGULATED to take the derivatives position, and FORCE the stock to follow either buy owners selling, delta hedging, risk management, whatever. AND oh yeah, they MAKE MORE MONEY overall with the capital employed.