Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right on time...:rolleyes:

U.S. Regulators Tie Tesla's Autopilot to More than a Dozen Fatalities, Hundreds of Crashes — WSJ​

Apr 26, 202413:55 EDT

By Ryan Felton and Dean Seal

Multiple lawsuits over crashes in which Autopilot was engaged also are pending. This month, the electric-car maker reached a settlement with the family of a driver who died in a 2018 crash.

In that case, Walter Huang, a 38-year-old Apple engineer, died on Highway 101 in California after his Model X sport-utility vehicle crashed into a highway barrier while he was using Autopilot. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

(Write to Ryan Felton at [email protected] and Dean Seal at [email protected])

Seeing a few red candles, I guess it's too late for long puts, eh?

Right on time...:rolleyes:

U.S. Regulators Tie Tesla's Autopilot to More than a Dozen Fatalities, Hundreds of Crashes — WSJ​

Apr 26, 202413:55 EDT

By Ryan Felton and Dean Seal

Federal auto-safety regulators have opened an investigation into the adequacy of Tesla's December recall of 2 million vehicles equipped with Autopilot software, tying the technology to at least 14 fatalities, several dozen injuries and hundreds of crashes.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a report published Friday that its examination of Tesla's Autopilot, a driver-assist system that automates some driving tasks, uncovered a trend of "avoidable crashes involving hazards that would have been visible to an attentive driver."

NHTSA, the auto industry's top regulator, shed more light on the safety concerns that have long swirled around Autopilot, providing new information on fatalities and injuries linked to drivers' use of the controversial feature, which is widely available on Tesla models.

The new probe also marks an escalation of NHTSA's long-running scrutiny of the technology, which it had been investigating for nearly three years after numerous high-profile crashes, including ones that killed drivers.

On Friday, the regulator said it was closing its earlier probe and opening the new one into the adequacy of the recall remedy, which was deployed through a software update. The recall in December was among Tesla's largest to date and involved nearly all the vehicles it had sold in the U.S.

In all, NHTSA said it had identified 467 crashes involving Autopilot.

The regulator said its Office of Defects Investigation had discovered crashes that occurred after the recall and results from preliminary tests the agency performed on remedied vehicles.

Tesla issued the recall to address a previous NHTSA investigation into whether the Autopilot program contained a defect that created an unreasonable risk to vehicle safety.

The resulting recall affected more than 2 million Model Y, X, S, 3 and Cybertruck vehicles made since 2012 that were equipped with Autopilot. In updating the vehicle software, Tesla said it had installed new safeguards to prevent driver misuse.

Tesla didn't respond to a request for comment.

NHTSA offered more details on Friday about the work that led to the recall, saying its effort "showed evidence that Tesla's weak driver engagement system was not appropriate for Autopilot's permissive operating capabilities."

This mismatch resulted in a "critical safety gap" between drivers' expectations of Autopilot's safety and the system's actual capabilities, it added.

NHTSA also compared Autopilot to similar systems deployed by auto-industry rivals, saying it found Tesla's approach was an "industry outlier." The agency said the Autopilot name "elicits the idea of drivers not being in control," while other systems use terms like "assist" or "team" to imply that active supervision is required.

In its latest report, NHTSA took issue with Tesla's statements that a portion of the recall remedy required opt-in from the owner and could be reversed at the driver's discretion. It also said some Tesla updates appeared to address Autopilot issues that the NHTSA raised without identifying them as remedies.

"This investigation will consider why these updates were not a part of the recall or otherwise determined to remedy a defect that poses an unreasonable safety risk," the agency said.

Since the Autopilot update was rolled out, regulators have received an unusually high number of complaints about changes made to the controls. Some drivers say warnings have become excessive and are triggered when performing routine tasks.

Tesla has been beset with safety setbacks recently. Earlier this year, Tesla issued a recall for nearly all of its electric vehicles sold in the U.S. due to the font for some visual warning lights being too small.

Several other government agencies have opened their own investigations into Tesla's Autopilot. The Justice Department and Securities and Exchange Commission, in particular, are examining whether Tesla misled customers and investors with marketing that overstated the technology's capabilities, giving drivers a false impression of what it can realistically do.

Multiple lawsuits over crashes in which Autopilot was engaged also are pending. This month, the electric-car maker reached a settlement with the family of a driver who died in a 2018 crash.

In that case, Walter Huang, a 38-year-old Apple engineer, died on Highway 101 in California after his Model X sport-utility vehicle crashed into a highway barrier while he was using Autopilot. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

(Write to Ryan Felton at [email protected] and Dean Seal at [email protected])
Haha, sounds like Tesla will just fix this by calling it "Autopilot Supervised". Wishing my tax dollars are going toward more noteworthy things.

NHTSA offered more details on Friday about the work that led to the recall, saying its effort "showed evidence that Tesla's weak driver engagement system was not appropriate for Autopilot's permissive operating capabilities."
This has the potential for disruption (and I somewhat agree with this). It also runs counter to the pump SP is receiving because of all the attention on FSD.

Unfortunately I sold 150 puts for next week before the slide started.

Yes. Order of magnitude better. Flawless at roundabouts which previously could not execute at all. Also can identify and slow down naturally for speed bumps. Just to give a couple examples. Check out Edgecase on X
It's really difficult to impossible to appreciate how much better V12 is compared to V10 and 11 by just watching videos. You have to experience it first hand to appreciate it. The question we can't answer is the rate of improvement with end-to-end NN's. I'm expecting to have a better sense of the answer to this question by 8/8.

Reactions: OptionsGrinder
It's really difficult to impossible to appreciate how much better V12 is compared to V10 and 11 by just watching videos. You have to experience it first hand to appreciate it. The question we can't answer is the rate of improvement with end-to-end NN's. I'm expecting to have a better sense of the answer to this question by 8/8.
V12 is so good and gives me so much confidence that I have been using it the minute I back out of a parking spot in theme park parking garages and parking lots. I am just having certain mapping issues and 90%+ of my disengagements are hwy V11. If mapping was perfect I most likely wouldn't have to disengage for weeks on city streets. I have been to cities with excellent mapping and even on V11 I saw the light. Wholemars performance were attained in those cities and just blew my mind.

i am done and out, final Discord tally for the week (TYVM SMCI):

1714158285531.png

that's the last trade and end of the trial... i don't like the pressure to make sure every week is > 0

tsla looking ahead one month
1714159066479.png

anyway, cya guys, i have a BILLION house guests tonight so ttyl

i love this songggggggggggggggggggggg i listen to it on endless loop, who would have thunk Better Call Saul is a romance

sorry, mods

Your concerns are valid, just watch the blinders. Anecdote: I am renting a RAV4 for a couple weeks for travel and I have no idea why anyone would buy one over a Y. With rebates comparable costs, but significant operating savings and quality improvements with the Tesla. This suggests to me that Tesla's addressable market is still huge, but they really need to work on the message. That is the only thing really missing for growth.

From an options play we do our best to not be too pessimistic or optimistic, but keep a balanced view and leverage things we can control.
Some context: I've been a Tesla owner since March 2014 and invested long in TSLA since 2015 - I'm not new to this game...

Last edited:
Neither of those statements are correct. About 1/2 the roundabout execution was fine in V11 (may be more if you ignored stopping at the roundabout when no cars were around). Now they are mostly ok - but I had to intervene atleast 20% of the time.

I keep repeating this - but a lot of people are yet to understand the significance. Its not about being flawless on one drive - but thousands of drives ! Not hundreds, thousands. In other words, you should be able to drive a whole year without FSD making a mistake. That is Robotaxi level.

You don't get to go from 1 intervention per 20 miles to 1 intervention per 10,000 miles by snapping a finger. It is hard, tiresome, time consuming work.

In other news - I closed my 138, 145 puts - and 175 calls just now - all for 1 cent.
little salty are we EVNow? I have now gone through over 100 roundabouts in one week… there are many near me.. zero interventions.. sorry if I triggered you, just speaking to my experience. Was just trying to answer the question, and give my perspective. But you do you!

little salty are we EVNow? I have now gone through over 100 roundabouts in one week… there are many near me.. zero interventions.. sorry if I triggered you, just speaking to my experience. Was just trying to answer the question, and give my perspective. But you do you!
Dude ... I've been wanting roundabouts to work for years. I even have a separate thread on this in the AP sub-forum. So, stop with the BS exaggeration.

I can see that, once Tesla gets a license like that of WAYMO, in just one or two cities, the SP will go up by 15% or more; people won't consider the actual revenue contribution.

Tesla could put robotaxis on the road in over a dozen US states, in every city in the state, today if they wished- without need of any licenses.

But they don't have working driverless cars so they don't.

The idea there's a need for a license except in a very few places (CA primarily) just ain't so.