Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry memory card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Just trying to prepare for collecting my M3 next week. I've read a few things about needing a memory card to use with the sentry system. I'm not very tech savvy, can anyone give me more specific advice about what sort of card I need and what size. How many gigabytes would it need? Do you have to clear them down regularly? How does it work for you please? Many thanks

Hi
Just trying to prepare for collecting my M3 next week. I've read a few things about needing a memory card to use with the sentry system. I'm not very tech savvy, can anyone give me more specific advice about what sort of card I need and what size. How many gigabytes would it need? Do you have to clear them down regularly? How does it work for you please? Many thanks
Don’t buy a memory stick (aka usb drive)
You either need an MicroSD card (this is then placed into a USB holder) or the better solution is an SSD
I suggest 128gb is probably the smallest you need to go for but they do automatically over right themselves so no need to clear them down.
touch wood My SD solution works great for me and I’ve had no issues

Hi
HI, There seems to be a lot of debate over this and in my opinion a lot of overcomplication, people seem to go with SSD, micro cards or Pi solutions but I just bought a 32 gb usb stick, formatted it, stuck it in and have had no issues whatsoever, it plays back, no corruption, stores everything it is supposed to etc. I would give it a try and if you have problems go with the more advanced options then.

If you go for an SSD and adapter, you do need to partition it first like the hard disk it is before it will format wheras a simple card in an adapter will easily format and after the latest software update, will format in the car. You must use FAT32 though that Win10 doesn't do anymore for whatever reason but there are plenty of free apps that will do this.

I put two partitions on my SSD, one for Sentrymode and one for music.

HI, There seems to be a lot of debate over this and in my opinion a lot of over complication, people seem to go with SSD, micro cards or Pi solutions but I just bought a 32 gb usb stick, formatted it, stuck it in and have had no issues whatsoever, it plays back, no corruption, stores everything it is supposed to etc. I would give it a try and if you have problems go with the more advanced options then.
That will work it just won't work for nearly as long as the others. There are too many write cycles its not built for that. So long as you are OK with losing everything on it at some point its fine. Or you could just proactively replace it once every year or two dependant on your usage.
An endurance SD card is designed to handle more writes and an SSD is bigger so spreads them out so there are less writes per individual bit. That is why they are the 2 prefered solutions.

Reactions: Akikiki
Lots of things happening on the TeslaCam front at the moment, its changing from release to release and that also includes whether or not it actually works.
Its not essential, especially since on several releases in the wild it is not actually working, so try and hold of for a few days after you have your car and taken any software updates, or initially just get something cheap knowing that it is a throw away solution.

Reactions: M3noob
If you go for an SSD and adapter, you do need to partition it first like the hard disk it is before it will format wheras a simple card in an adapter will easily format and after the latest software update, will format in the car. You must use FAT32 though that Win10 doesn't do anymore for whatever reason but there are plenty of free apps that will do this.

I put two partitions on my SSD, one for Sentrymode and one for music.

i did the same on my SSD. Works without problem (or it will when sentry clips get sorted!)