Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry missed M3 trunk vandalism event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a nasty experience at Barrel Springs Trail car park near Palmdale, CA - a warning that Tesla haters are active there in case others venture out for a hike.
Somehow, someone was able to deeply key scratch our Model 3's trunk without Sentry creating an event. Sentry was working fine at the time, as other events were recorded (people walking by, for example). Just not this one critical event we really needed it to work for :(.

Have others experienced Sentry failing to trigger on events to the rear of the car?
I'm wondering if it's less sensitive to rear events than to side or front camera events.

Unfortunately, the scratch wasn't noticed until after driving around the next day, so the 'RecentClips' drive folder contained nothing useful. And 'Undeleting' deleted files didn't help either, as although there were a few from earlier the next day, there was nothing useful from that either.

Although we use a 500GB Samsung MU-PC500T drive that works well, it was chock full with old SavedClips and SentryClips files, leaving only about 4GB of space. So, Sentry was working by deleting enough space to operate with, but there wasn't enough room to leave behind much potentially useful video for 'undelete' retrieval. If there had have been more 'empty' space, there would have been a better chance of retrieving video.

Tesla - It's a pity that 'RecentClips' only retains the last hour of video. For all 4 cameras, it stores about 5.1GB/hour; if it were to for example allocate half the drive for the 'Recent' history, that would be about 2 days worth with a 500GB drive (250/5.1 = 49 hours). That's a whole lot more recent history that would be useful for discovering what happened.

Lesson learned: clear out your Sentry drive once it's approaching full - that might help with obtaining video via undelete if Sentry misses an important event.

Tesla_M3_trunk_keyscratch.JPG

Yep really sorry, The is not a school that folks go to
that shows how to damage Tesla. If fact I would guess that 80%
could not tell a Tesla from a toaster oven. At night they look for something
shiny. As for getting to the trunk without setting off sentry, that something
you can do in the driveway at home. I would do it but rain says no..
TTFNNM

WOW!!! What sick **** would do that!? On the lucky side, It seems confined to the trunk only. Had it been the rear quarters too, that a major blend and repaint, but just matching and spraying a black trunk is a body guys dream, very easy. Good luck, sorry that happened.😔

Sorry that happened to you.
Ive had an issue where I would be notified of Sentry activity when I arrived to the car, I would try to view but would get a message to check USB. I did the two button reset which seemed to fix it for now, however it didn't record all the events.

Sorry that happened to you. I hope there isn’t some deal going on where idiots have figured out how to approach and mess up Teslas without triggering video evidence…
Let's hope not - though it does seem that Sentry isn't good at detecting threats from the rear of the vehicle. According to the Deputy Sheriff who took an incident report, it's not the first time he's had reports of Sentry failing to trigger from rear end damage.

• Informative
Reactions: pipp
Sorry that happened to you.
Ive had an issue where I would be notified of Sentry activity when I arrived to the car, I would try to view but would get a message to check USB. I did the two button reset which seemed to fix it for now, however it didn't record all the events.
Thanks M3Posh. Originally we used a USB stick that wore out and threw USB errors, but in this case USB was working fine. Upgraded to a Taptes USB hub that fits inside the 2018 M3's center front console, neatly hiding a 500GB Samsung MU-PC500T drive (both from Amazon). No 'Check USB' problems since then. They have different versions for different M3/MY versions - original USB-A, or USB-C for later cars - so if you go for it, be sure to choose the right version for your car.