Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode/Battery depletion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to leave the Sentry mode on sometimes at work to see how it works (still learning the car), and I've noticed a battery drop of about 1% for every "say 6/8 hours"(again, still learning and tracking power usage). That being said, if you technically leave it on every day, all day, more battery power you will use, and therefore, more charging "cycles" you will technically need over the life of your battery. Is there any type of recommendation from Tesla to only use "Sentry mode" when it is absolutely needed, or do you think it's use is so insignificant to the life of the battery that it doesn't matter in the end? Since I bought the car brand new, I'm trying to the best of my ability, treat it correctly and as recommended. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you

I've been trying to leave the Sentry mode on sometimes at work to see how it works (still learning the car), and I've noticed a battery drop of about 1% for every "say 6/8 hours"(again, still learning and tracking power usage). That being said, if you technically leave it on every day, all day, more battery power you will use, and therefore, more charging "cycles" you will technically need over the life of your battery. Is there any type of recommendation from Tesla to only use "Sentry mode" when it is absolutely needed, or do you think it's use is so insignificant to the life of the battery that it doesn't matter in the end? Since I bought the car brand new, I'm trying to the best of my ability, treat it correctly and as recommended. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you
That is why there is an option to disable Sentry mode when parked at Home, at Work and at your Favorite locations. Sentry mode was never intended to be used 24/7. The Tesla Model Y has a vehicle alarm (separate from Sentry) that is activated whenever the Tesla Model Y is locked.

Upvote 0
That
That is why there is an option to disable Sentry mode when parked at Home, at Work and at your Favorite locations. Sentry mode was never intended to be used 24/7. The Tesla Model Y has a vehicle alarm (separate from Sentry) that is activated whenever the Tesla Model Y is locked
That is why there is an option to disable Sentry mode when parked at Home, at Work and at your Favorite locations. Sentry mode was never intended to be used 24/7. The Tesla Model Y has a vehicle alarm (separate from Sentry) that is activated whenever the Tesla Model Y is locked.
Yes, I completely understand that regarding the Sentry mode. I, though, was not aware of the alarm system, but I had not thought of that either. I figured it would be nearly impossible to steal a Tesla. Thanks for your feedback.

Upvote 0
That

Yes, I completely understand that regarding the Sentry mode. I, though, was not aware of the alarm system, but I had not thought of that either. I figured it would be nearly impossible to steal a Tesla. Thanks for your feedback.
For improved security there are several things you can do.

1) Setup Multi-factor authentication for your Tesla account (uses Google, Microsoft, Apple or Authy authentication)

https://www.tesla.com/support/multi-factor-authentication

2) Enable PIN to Drive on your Tesla vehicle. When PIN to Drive is enabled you will be required to tap or hold the brake pedal and the PIN entry menu will appear. When you set up PIN to Drive you must enter the 4 digit PIN every time before driving the Tesla Model Y vehicle. (No one can just hop into your Tesla vehicle and drive away without entering the PIN.)

Don't forget it is easy to steal any vehicle with a tow truck.

Upvote 0
...Is there any type of recommendation from Tesla to only use "Sentry mode" when it is absolutely needed, or do you think it's use is so insignificant to the life of the battery that it doesn't matter in the end? Since I bought the car brand new, I'm trying to the best of my ability, treat it correctly and as recommended. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you
Tesla provides the feature; it's up to you to decide when and how it should be used or when it's worth the cost in energy and battery cycles. 5% charge expenditure per day doesn't amount to a lot of battery cycles in and of itself (less than 20 per year if you leave it on 24x7). So I'd rate the wear and tear on the battery as mild. Iirc the cycle life of the non-LFP cells is around 2000 -- so 1% per year. LFP has even higher cycle life I think.
That being said I personally don't think it's worth it when the car is at home in the garage. I see it mainly as a deterrent for someone nosing around the car realizes it's recording. Possibly useful as evidence if they persist and cause damage. Again it depends on your assessment of your conditions.

Upvote 0