Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode disables on every drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a bug - it was done by design and I have no idea why...

Have you considered any of the data logging apps? I use TeslaFi (www.teslafi.com) and it tracks/logs everything about your Tesla - drives, charges, idles, software versions, and even calculates costs and cost savings over gas!

One of the latest features of TeslaFi is that you can enable or disable Sentry mode by location. I have it so that it automatically enables Sentry mode for all untagged (unknown) locations, and I override this for specific tagged locations (e.g. the mall). TeslaFi sends you an email a few mins before so you can cancel, then another email when enabled so you always know!

Check it out - they give you a free two week full trial, and with a referral code you get another two weeks. You are welcome to use mine - bsietz to get you the extra two weeks.

Enjoy!
-Brian

Not a bug - it was done by design and I have no idea why...
I can think of several reasons:
  • Reduce the number of extraneous videos owners have to review. For example, if your car is parked safely in your garage, do you really need to have a video of every time someone enters the garage to do laundry or grab a garden tool?
  • Reduce the memory size requirements of the USB storage device or the frequency of an owner having to delete unneeded files. With three cameras going, it can eat up a lot of space quickly if Sentry Mode is on all the time.
  • Get a version of Sentry Mode out to owners as quickly as possible to address an acute problem (smash-and-grabs). Start out simply by asking the owner to enable the feature when needed. Follow-up later, as developer resources permit, with additional options (constantly on, geo-location, etc.)

Reactions: PrGrPa
Both good points but I'm betting that they wanted to get Sentry mode to users as soon as possible, then make it more feature rich. Like for example the folding mirrors - can be enabled automatically by location. I would hope that Tesla would incorporate some sort of location based enable/disable for Sentry mode where it wouldn't enable at locations you know it is relatively safe like your driveway.

That's why I like what TeslaFi did - it picked up where Tesla came short (at least for now). Like I said in my original post, any new location where I have never been gets Sentry enabled automatically. Ii have this disabled for known safe locations, or tags, such as work, friends, etc.