Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got sentry mode on Monday night (from 2018.50.6 4ec03ed to 2019.8.3 da116a6. HW2.5 MCU1) and have been trying it out the last few evenings. Let me preface this that I hadn't done any prior research or youtube review watching prior to this. First impression - awesome!

I have a BlackVue DR-750S-2CH installed currently so I haven't been using TeslaCam all that much. The original version of TeslaCam was just the front cam view so not too interesting for me. Anyway, I had to go find my USB stick again so that I could give sentry mode a try. We went to Costco to pick up some things and I enabled Sentry mode via the MCU before locking up the car. Slightly annoying, but nothing to really cry about. You can also enable Sentry mode from the phone app if you'd like to do so.

On the way back to the car, since I hold the key fob, I had my family go first and I stood back and watched. Once they got up to the car, the car powered up, exterior lights turned on (night time) and the MCU lit up. They were at the trunk so they could see the MCU and everything. The MCU showed basically what it normally does for my setup - Navigate button strip at the top, rear view cam below, then music below that. Additionally, there was what looked like a HAL, red dot, overlay over the top. We didn't go any further than that to trigger any other fireworks.

Finally got home and started to review the footage. Basically three cameras are set to record - the front and the two cameras near the side markers/signals. You end up with files like date-front.mp4, date-left-repeater.mp4, and date-right-repeater.mp4. Sentry mode (parking mode) clips are about a minute in length at 30MB per file. Additionally, all three cameras also record while driving, which is probably new, at least new to me since the last time I tried TeslaCam. So you get all of that additional footage as well, which is awesome. The POV of those cameras reminded me of videos where people attach GoPros to their cars to capture the side views. The overall quality of the clips were good - there were a few pixelated issues here and there. I could read license plates in the parking lot just fine.

Anyway, closing thoughts - I need to get a bigger USB stick, a lot bigger. Especially if they ever start to store the footage from the pillar cams and the rear camera. I will also keep my BlackVue installed for the foreseeable future too, primarily because of the added rear view footage, but also because I prefer videos with a soundtrack and all the extra metadata that comes along for the ride.

Do you get a notification when something triggers Sentry mode? I was under the impression that you get a notification via the app.. but from my testing it doesn't seem the case.

One thing I like is how sensitive it is. You don't even need to touch it to activate it. The headlights/brake lights flash and the screens turns on just by getting close to the car.

Reactions: 1375mlm
From my testing over the last couple of days (HW2.5/MCU2) I'd rate the side cameras at about 60% right now and the front camera at about 90% in terms of usable footage.

When the side cameras are working the view they give back along the sides of the car are excellent, but all too often the image is unusable due to pixelation or simply an zero length file.

I'm sure this will improve with some software tweaking though over time.

Thanks for posting the video! I assume MS works the same way...

I would think so. S/X same platform for the most part. I've noted a few changes on wiring here and there. and the X does have a 12v in the trunk area.

BTW, here's some info of TESLAFI updated on their change log with sentry mode.
  • Added sentry mode enable/disable to schedules.
  • Added sentry mode automatic activation upon location arrival at selected tagged locations.
  • Added default sentry mode activation time in settings->preferences->sentry mode.
  • Added sentry mode activation emails option in settings->preferences->sentry mode.
  • Added ability to enable sentry mode automatically when arriving at any untagged location in settings->preferences->sentry mode.
I just sent my wife's work location to always activate sentry mode.

Reactions: RachH
I also noted two additional folders on the USB. within those folders is a 1 minute time sub folder. Can't wait to play more with the footage. Here's our quick test of sentry mode last night. Yes, we are keeping our BlackVue's as well.
Short video getting scared to death when it went off.

unrelated. Good job syncing both videos. Both angles was pretty funny.

I also noted two additional folders on the USB. within those folders is a 1 minute time sub folder. Can't wait to play more with the footage. Here's our quick test of sentry mode last night. Yes, we are keeping our BlackVue's as well.
Short video getting scared to death when it went off.

I don't remember the horn hocking in prior Model 3 activations before, just the loud music. I think that's an improvement. Thanks for the video.

TeslaCam folder (root level) then inside:
  • RecentClips folder (1-hour buffer of live footage, overwrites, w/3 cameras 5.4GB)
  • SavedClips folder (contains saved 10-min. files via TeslaCam saved or Sentry Mode triggered, no overwrite, must be manually deleted, w/3 cameras each saved folder is 0.9GB)

Last edited:
After getting 2019.8.3 this morning, and activating Sentry mode for a bit this morning and at lunch, my only complaint is -- MAN, is it ever sensitive and does it ever fill up that USB stick with mainly useless video. I get that we would rather it be too sensitive than not sensitive enough, but I had Gigs and Gigs of video of (1) my car just sitting in a parking lot during lunch, and (2) my car just sitting in the garage with no disturbances whatsoever.

I do very much appreciate the feature and protection, should something go wrong at some point in the future. But, it'll take me an hour to wade through the scores of video files to find the one where there was an actual incident.

After getting 2019.8.3 this morning, and activating Sentry mode for a bit this morning and at lunch, my only complaint is -- MAN, is it ever sensitive and does it ever fill up that USB stick with mainly useless video. I get that we would rather it be too sensitive than not sensitive enough, but I had Gigs and Gigs of video of (1) my car just sitting in a parking lot during lunch, and (2) my car just sitting in the garage with no disturbances whatsoever.

I do very much appreciate the feature and protection, should something go wrong at some point in the future. But, it'll take me an hour to wade through the scores of video files to find the one where there was an actual incident.

Or if nothing is wrong with your car, like being hit, dinged or broken into, then unless you just want to see what traffic or people are doing around your car, just delete the Saved files. No need to view anything until something happens.

Storage space is pretty cheap. Not sure what capacity of USB, SD or MicroSD Card is that you are using but if you plan to use Sentry mode you will want to update your media -- or risk files shutting down TeslaCam (the dreaded X on the camera icon) unless you do maintenance on the device. Keep in mind all of these media devices have a limited life. You can only do so many writes before they become corrupt. A bit of research on dashcam microSD cards might be worth your time.

I'm using a USB-A/USB-C card reader that let's me use a microSD card in it tailored to dashcams with many hours of use and writing and higher temps. Remember these are going in cars that get exposed to hot summer temps. This is the reader I bought to use with a 128GB microSD card. I liked that it can connect to TeslaCam and my laptop and use "dashcam" media. Nice features on it and would recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Reader-Adapter-Portable-Windows/dp/B07D1J88CF

Last edited:
Or if nothing is wrong with your car, like being hit, dinged or broken into, then unless you just want to see what traffic or people are doing around your car, just delete the Saved files. No need to view anything until something happens.

Storage space is pretty cheap. Not sure what capacity of USB, SD or MicroSD Card is that you are using but if you plan to use Sentry mode you will want to update your media -- or risk files shutting down TeslaCam (the dreaded X on the camera icon) unless you do maintenance on the device. Keep in mind all of these media devices have a limited life. You can only do so many writes before they become corrupt. A bit of research on dashcam microSD cards might be worth your time.

I'm using a USB-A/USB-C card reader that let's me use a microSD card in it tailored to dashcams with many hours of use and writing and higher temps. Remember these are going in cars that get exposed to hot summer temps. This is the reader I bought to use with a 128GB microSD card. I liked that it can connect to TeslaCam and my laptop and use "dashcam" media. Nice features on it and would recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Reader-Adapter-Portable-Windows/dp/B07D1J88CF

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’ll be using Sentry mode, so I’ll definitely be upgrading my current 32 Gig USB drive. Thanks for this suggestion.