Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue Dashcam useful in addition to Sentry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I'm getting a new Y coming from an old S that doesn't have Sentry mode in any shape or form. I have a 4k Blackvue Dashcamera with front/back cameras. It works great. Is there any advantage of installing that in my new Y considering I can use Sentry Mode? I have my Blackvue set up to record 24/7 and I have caught two accidents that way that helped my tremendously with insurance claims. Both happened while the car was parked. It is also nice to have video to go back to that were not triggered by an event. Any thoughts?

I'm getting a new Y coming from an old S that doesn't have Sentry mode in any shape or form. I have a 4k Blackvue Dashcamera with front/back cameras. It works great. Is there any advantage of installing that in my new Y considering I can use Sentry Mode? I have my Blackvue set up to record 24/7 and I have caught two accidents that way that helped my tremendously with insurance claims. Both happened while the car was parked. It is also nice to have video to go back to that were not triggered by an event. Any thoughts?
Tesla camera system is not a traditional dash cam. Like many functions in Tesla, it might still be beta and not consumer quality dash cam.

Reactions: David99
I would strongly recommend installing your 4k Blackvue Dashcam for some of the following reasons;

- Sentry doesn't save recordings unless you click on the icon, or use your horn if you have set this option.
- The recording of the four cameras is sequential so you miss a lot of information, not like the separate front and rear constant recording on a dashcam.
- The Sentry image definition is blurry for anything more than six feet away, you cannot read license plate unless a car is very close to your bumper.
- The Sentry recording is not reliable, sometime the recording stop for no reason.
- There is not speed and sound recording.

Some of the Sentry bonus or issues are:

- The side camera is a nice feature, however I would had preferred that the B pillar cameras were used instead of the side fender because if someone hit you on the front side, like passing a red light, and run away, you cannot see the action and the license plate.
- You can access the Sentry live cameras on your phone, including the inside camera, but you cannot access the Sentry recoding from you phone.
Note: Blackvue video can be accessed from the Cloud, but you need to have a Hotspot inside your car or use the WiFi in your garage.
- You cannot select some recording areas when parked, like for the Blackvue, so sometime your Sentry will get triggered a zillion of times because there is a fluorescent light facing one of the Sentry cameras.

Sentry when running prevents the car from going to sleep mode. However you can get a constant 12V from the ODB2 plug
even when the car is sleeping to run your Blackvue all the night without affecting too much the car consumption.
You don't need to use a 12V battery voltage limiter, like Blackvue provides one, because if the 12V battery voltage gets too low
the DC/DC inverter will starts to charge the battery. However I would not keep my Blackvue running all the time, like when parked in an airport.
Still the Blackvue has a sleep mode which gets activated after five minutes of no motion.

When installing the Blackvue, there is no 'Ignition On' wire on your Tesla but this feature is not needed because if you just use the 12V auxiliary plug, this plug will turn off when the car is sleeping.

Note: The newer Model Y has a 16V lithium-ion battery and I don't know if you will need to use a buck converter,

• Helpful
Reactions: teca01 and David99
Thanks so much. That is very helpful. I will install my Blackvue.
I believe the Blackvue supports 12-24 Volt, but even if not, as you say, a small DCDC will fix that.

In general I plug my Blackvue Dashcam into the 12V auxiliary socket, but when I park at nigh in a street,
instead of my garage, I use the following OBD2 adapters that I share with my Scan My Tesla monitoring device.
Otherwise for a short parking duration, I just keep Sentry On, so both Sentry and my dashcam are running in this case.

OBD2 to Cigarette Lighter Female Connecter Vechile Car Constant Power Cable 16AWG Safely with ...jpg ODB2 Extension .jpg

Reactions: David99