Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about sentry mode because I haven't found a clear answer online. If I have it activated and I'm parked in a lot, and another car parks beside me and the person damages my car enough to activate the cameras, will the footage display the moments leading up to the trigger? And how long will the recording continue after the incident?

It’s pretty well documented in the owner’s manual: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-56703182-8191-4DAE-AF07-2FDC0EB64663.html

Sentry alert events happen even when someone walks by your car, no damage required. Each sentry video captures the 10 minutes leading up to the event, but doesn’t save anything afterwards except for a maybe a few seconds. Sentry alarm events are triggered when something happens to the car, in which case Sentry Mode will play loud music and flash the lights, and you’ll get an alert on your phone.

Upvote 0
Each sentry video captures the 10 minutes leading up to the event, but doesn’t save anything afterwards except for a maybe a few seconds.
That's for Dashcam saves. Sentry events seem to vary in the amount of time saved before and after the event is detected. I'm guessing the times depend on other activity detected around the actual trigger event. (The trigger is indicated by the red dot on the time line.)

I'm not sure what video time is recorded before and after a Security Alarm is triggered (indicated by the lights flashing and loud music being played).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My experience is that Sentry may save 10 minutes of video, but the triggering event can be anywhere during that 10 minute clip. I've reviewed clips after being parked and sometimes the red dot is in the middle of the entire clip, and other times it's near the end. Note that I'm still on a software release that's over a year old so this behavior may have changed since then.

Reactions: MLXXXp
Upvote 0
My experience is that Sentry may save 10 minutes of video, but the triggering event can be anywhere during that 10 minute clip. I've reviewed clips after being parked and sometimes the red dot is in the middle of the entire clip, and other times it's near the end. Note that I'm still on a software release that's over a year old so this behavior may have changed since then.
You're correct. I'm on the latest and that little red dot still appears anywhere along the "play" line. The event that triggered the sentry (red dot) below was a car driving past the front of my Tesla and stopping for another car to pass before they proceeded. Also, note that this clip was just under 11 minutes long.

Sentry PIC.jpg

Reactions: MLXXXp
Upvote 0
I'm curious about sentry mode because I haven't found a clear answer online. If I have it activated and I'm parked in a lot, and another car parks beside me and the person damages my car enough to activate the cameras, will the footage display the moments leading up to the trigger? And how long will the recording continue after the incident?
Just access it on your screen, and view your clips. it will answer your question - I've found that it catches a lot more than I thought it would (or should).

Upvote 0