Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode for AP2.0 released!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the investor day presentation on April 22, Pete mentioned the HW3 is capable of recording videos. Theoretically all AP2.0 cars should be able to support sentry mode after the upgrade.

I wish they can upgrade the cameras too.

Since ap2 and higher is much much more powerful than my current smart phone, which can easily record HD, even 4k.

It's a no brainer that AP2 should be able to do it. AP2 vehicles were sold as full self driving ready. The hardware is Nvidia which is the leading graphics cards and chipset maker.

The only way we cannot have a fully working sentry and multicam record is if they want to punish people who purchased thier cars between 2017and 2018. Which in the words of Julia Robers in Pretty Woman, (when she returns to the high brow stores that snubbed her,) would be "a big mistake".

They screw us on that, and I'll be a die hard "looking for a Merc EV" person.

• Disagree
Reactions: planx and jlv1
Since ap2 and higher is much much more powerful than my current smart phone, which can easily record HD, even 4k.

It's a no brainer that AP2 should be able to do it. AP2 vehicles were sold as full self driving ready. The hardware is Nvidia which is the leading graphics cards and chipset maker.

The only way we cannot have a fully working sentry and multicam record is if they want to punish people who purchased thier cars between 2017and 2018...

I'm so glad you've solved this one, clearly none of the differences between AP2.0 and AP2.5 or the cameras are relevant, it is just their desire to punish those buyers...

If only we'd realized this sooner...

Yesterday, while driving from Mackinac Island to Niagara Falls, the cruise control, auto steer and speed limit icons disappeared, along with road lines. I re-booted MCU, but no change. I called Tesla to ask what to do. They told me it’s a glitch in Sentry mode! She told me to turn OFF Sentry mode and wait a few hours. So, I turned off Sentry mode. Sure enough, all information returned after a few hours. So, now, I guess I can’t use Sentry mode, even though now is when I need it most ☹️

I'm so glad you've solved this one, clearly none of the differences between AP2.0 and AP2.5 or the cameras are relevant, it is just their desire to punish those buyers...

If only we'd realized this sooner...

Your funny, clearly I'm saying if they wanted to offer the hardware upgrades to radar and camera modulea they could,

Obviously they want to punish early adopters it's the silicon valley way.

Last Aug 2018 My regional manager for tesla assured me that ap2 hardware was the latest hardware. That any differences between 2.5 and 2 were simply software based.

Even of she lied or was ignorant of AP hardware.

The only possible differences are :
Computer module behind glove box.
Radar module
Cameras (mix of color and B/W vs all color)

Radar and cameras are bulk cheap items.

1080P CcTV mini bullet cameras cost at many retail stores $25 each.

The computer module at best isn't costing them more than 1-2k. Having worked for a computer mfg, I can assure you it's far far less than that.

Google BOM tesla ( Bill of materials ) .

I still don't see any valid reason computer need a to be changed other than to change to thier homemade one vs Nvidia one. This would simplify updates for them. At the expense of thier customers.

If you've got unlimited monies to funnel to them, for thier poor planning and mistakes that's fantastic.

I'm sure they'll be offering all new 4k and 8k vehicles with same everything else , to try and get suckers to buy new ones with a "AP hw5 package "

Love my car, but the way the company behind it runs itself? Garbage