Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode for AP2.0 released!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a follow up, has anyone had additional experience with Sentry mode on AP 2.0 hardware, other than what was already posted above? Does anyone's car actually write the video to the flash drive, or has anyone successfully retrieved their Sentry videos which were "uploaded to Tesla?"
I'm getting the same 595 byte files. Looks like it recorded for exactly an hour and stopped. still had plenty of space. I am an AP2.0 waiting for the AP3.0 upgrade as I Opted for FSD during the price drop.

As a follow up, has anyone had additional experience with Sentry mode on AP 2.0 hardware, other than what was already posted above? Does anyone's car actually write the video to the flash drive, or has anyone successfully retrieved their Sentry videos which were "uploaded to Tesla?"

It took me a long time and was very hard to get any answers on Sentry Mode for AP 2.0. The Tech at Tesla SC finally told me that videos can't be recorded on a flash drive also can't be retrieved by Tesla, the only thing Sentry Mode for AP 2.0 does is alert you via the app that the car is being broken into (when the alarm is triggered) and have to upgrade to FSD to get the full capability of Sentry Mode.

It took me a long time and was very hard to get any answers on Sentry Mode for AP 2.0. The Tech at Tesla SC finally told me that videos can't be recorded on a flash drive also can't be retrieved by Tesla, the only thing Sentry Mode for AP 2.0 does is alert you via the app that the car is being broken into (when the alarm is triggered) and have to upgrade to FSD to get the full capability of Sentry Mode.
So, if you have AP2 and FSD already what does it do?

So, if you have AP2 and FSD already what does it do?
I think it makes you wait for the 3.0 HW. That’s what I am doing!

Even if it doesn’t record today, Sentry mode for AP2.0 gives herd immunity.

Since the majority of Tesla’s with sentry modes are AP2.5 and look visually the same as AP2.0, a person breaking in would likely have to assume that they are being recorded. So it allows AP2.0 to enjoy the deterrent effect of sentry mode even though no one knows whether it actually records today (it may very well do something on a future update).

I was wondering about that. All the "video" files created on the flash drive are 1 kb in size... Clearly not a video. Sentry mode is a bit misleading for AP 2.0 owners. It does put the "Sentry Mode" message on the screen and flash the lights if you walk near the car but what happens if I'm hit and run while parked? SOL I guess...

Thing is... AP2 camera are apparently not even black and white, but RCCC, which makes them quite unexploitable for the human eye. So I wouldn't bet too much on having the full sentry mode (or the dashcam at all) in HW2.0.

It's just black and white with red support. People have dumped video from them before. It's not some bizarre non-visual output.

When you purchased your Tesla, was Sentry mode a requirement (or even an option) for you?

Irrelevant. Let's nip this in the bud: Tesla misled hw2 owners by saying there would be no difference between 2 and what they deemed hw2.1 at best. That lie is the basis for why hw2 owners are entitled to whatever hw2.5 cars get.

Irrelevant. Let's nip this in the bud: Tesla misled hw2 owners by saying there would be no difference between 2 and what they deemed hw2.1 at best. That lie is the basis for why hw2 owners are entitled to whatever hw2.5 cars get.

At that time I believe only autopilot was in the discussion. And from what I can tell, HW 2.0 cars have the same AP functionality as 2.5 to date. (FWIW - I have 2.0.)

At that time I believe only autopilot was in the discussion. And from what I can tell, HW 2.0 cars have the same AP functionality as 2.5 to date. (FWIW - I have 2.0.)

I don't even think that is true anymore. People that own both report 2.5 displays vehicles more accurately on the IC and it turns out there are substantial hardware differences including sensor changes that likely affect AP but in ways we might not see great divergence except Emergency actions like pedestrian detection or intersections.

I will clarify that I actually don't expect sentry but I think it would be nice if Tesla didn't gloss over the differences and if Elon didn't promise all hw2+ owners features that engineering never realized would be required.

• Disagree
Reactions: planx and Jan Fiala