TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode for AP2.0 released!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HX_Guy, Apr 7, 2019.

1. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

• Like x 2
  2. ChiTown_S75D

ChiTown_S75D Member

I'm getting the same 595 byte files. Looks like it recorded for exactly an hour and stopped. still had plenty of space. I am an AP2.0 waiting for the AP3.0 upgrade as I Opted for FSD during the price drop.

3. RHTrio

RHTrio Member

It took me a long time and was very hard to get any answers on Sentry Mode for AP 2.0. The Tech at Tesla SC finally told me that videos can't be recorded on a flash drive also can't be retrieved by Tesla, the only thing Sentry Mode for AP 2.0 does is alert you via the app that the car is being broken into (when the alarm is triggered) and have to upgrade to FSD to get the full capability of Sentry Mode.

• Informative x 5
  4. FMinMI

FMinMI Member

So, if you have AP2 and FSD already what does it do?

5. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Nothing.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  6. FMinMI

FMinMI Member

That's what I thought but RHTrio's post made it sound like it did...

7. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

I think it makes you wait for the 3.0 HW. That’s what I am doing!

8. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Even if it doesn’t record today, Sentry mode for AP2.0 gives herd immunity.

Since the majority of Tesla’s with sentry modes are AP2.5 and look visually the same as AP2.0, a person breaking in would likely have to assume that they are being recorded. So it allows AP2.0 to enjoy the deterrent effect of sentry mode even though no one knows whether it actually records today (it may very well do something on a future update).

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. Dario_75D

Dario_75D Member

Has it ever been confirmed that AP2 cars will get the full sentry mode once upgraded to AP3?
    I don't think so, because it would require the camera update, not only the computer swap.

• Like x 1
  10. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

Sentry could work in black and white. I just hope we don’t have to wait years to get the chip to find out.

• Like x 2
  11. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

Though Tesla staying quiet about the promised hardware and "official beta tester" upgrade for the AP2 FSD buyers doesn't bode well.

Cameras should also be rather easy to exchange though.

12. BlueRocket

BlueRocket S90D HW2.0 MCU1 2019.20.4.3

I was wondering about that. All the "video" files created on the flash drive are 1 kb in size... Clearly not a video. Sentry mode is a bit misleading for AP 2.0 owners. It does put the "Sentry Mode" message on the screen and flash the lights if you walk near the car but what happens if I'm hit and run while parked? SOL I guess...

13. miken79

miken79 Member

I... why do I keep giving this company my money??!?

Sad owner of HW2.0, FSD, and Sentry mode that does nothing.

14. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

I think it’s called ‘paying it forward’?

• Like x 1
  15. Dario_75D

Dario_75D Member

Thing is... AP2 camera are apparently not even black and white, but RCCC, which makes them quite unexploitable for the human eye. So I wouldn't bet too much on having the full sentry mode (or the dashcam at all) in HW2.0.

16. SO16

SO16 Active Member

When you purchased your Tesla, was Sentry mode a requirement (or even an option) for you?

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

It's just black and white with red support. People have dumped video from them before. It's not some bizarre non-visual output.

• Like x 2
  18. croman

croman Active Member

Irrelevant. Let's nip this in the bud: Tesla misled hw2 owners by saying there would be no difference between 2 and what they deemed hw2.1 at best. That lie is the basis for why hw2 owners are entitled to whatever hw2.5 cars get.

• Like x 3
  19. SO16

SO16 Active Member

At that time I believe only autopilot was in the discussion. And from what I can tell, HW 2.0 cars have the same AP functionality as 2.5 to date. (FWIW - I have 2.0.)

20. croman

croman Active Member

I don't even think that is true anymore. People that own both report 2.5 displays vehicles more accurately on the IC and it turns out there are substantial hardware differences including sensor changes that likely affect AP but in ways we might not see great divergence except Emergency actions like pedestrian detection or intersections.

I will clarify that I actually don't expect sentry but I think it would be nice if Tesla didn't gloss over the differences and if Elon didn't promise all hw2+ owners features that engineering never realized would be required.

• Disagree x 1