TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode for AP2.0 released!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HX_Guy, Apr 7, 2019.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

At least according to @Patrick W paging @Patrick W :)

Would love to see some Settings menu pictures and if anyone has had a chance to test it on AP2.0.

upload_2019-4-7_2-44-43.jpeg

• Like x 1
  2. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Hi, I just started a threat with complete notes. Thread is called Model S 2019.12. Just ask if more images wanted.

3. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Where? Not seeing it on the main Model S page.

4. Krash

Krash Data Technician

5. Blitz3RS

Blitz3RS Member

This is fantastic news! Any way to get an idea of what the videos or even just a still image of what the cameras are seeing? Would solve a lot of the controversy on the different filter sets being employed on 2.0 versus 2.5.

6. maddogoet

maddogoet Member

I received the 2019.12 update -- but I can't get video to USB on my car. I have April 2017 Model X, AP 2.0, MCU 1. I suppose the videos are uploaded to Tesla, but they can't go on a local USB? I tried formatting the USB, but got small 595 byte files that don't play video.
    Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 10.58.31 AM.png

• Informative x 2
  7. croman

croman Active Member

Yea, it doesn't work right now. That's what everyone is getting. You actually don't need the USB stick at all for it "work" but we aren't sure whether Tesla is actually storing the recordings for sentry events.

8. georgewyull

georgewyull Member

That’s really interesting that it actually saved some sort of files to a USB stick, especially with those file names. Maybe us AP2.0 folk won’t be forgotten about or left behind and will actually get the proper sentry mode.

• Like x 2
  9. maddogoet

maddogoet Member

That's what I'm hoping too! Either that, or just a bug or leftover code in the 2019.12 firmware. Since .12 tapered off, I suppose we'll see what comes in the next wide release.

It is important to note that my release notes didn't mention anything about USB, which differs from release notes for Sentry mode in 2.5 cars.

10. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

I highly doubt any video is uploaded for the same reason it's not able to write on the USB stick. The AP2 computer is missing a hardware video accelerator and this can't encode video in real-time. If it can't do that, it cannot create video files small enough to be written to USB. If it can't do that, it likely can't create and (intermediately) store video files for upload.

Plus the videos would only be black and white at best.

• Disagree x 1
  11. croman

croman Active Member

I only disagree with your characterization of the video as "black and white." That is not accurate. It is RCCC, so it definitely sees red.

12. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

True. But most people would probably think their cameras are broken if they see rccc, as they're probably unaware of the AP2 camera thread. ;)

13. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

It's possible to convert rccc to color theoretically.

• Like x 1
  14. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

AP2 computer has the same video compression capabilities as AP2.5. Until recently all of Dashcam and sentry were run exclusively on the primary cpu node in AP2.5 cars. The APU can handle it. If there is a weak link it is somewhere else.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. croman

croman Active Member

This is true. I think the change happened with 2019.8.3 from what verygreen stated. Apparently Tesla also patched some holes in their security with that firmware.

16. ItzCoolBeingMe

ItzCoolBeingMe New Member

As a follow up, has anyone had additional experience with Sentry mode on AP 2.0 hardware, other than what was already posted above? Does anyone's car actually write the video to the flash drive, or has anyone successfully retrieved their Sentry videos which were "uploaded to Tesla?"

17. PunchIT

PunchIT Member

During the investor day presentation on April 22, Pete mentioned the HW3 is capable of recording videos. Theoretically all AP2.0 cars should be able to support sentry mode after the upgrade.

I wish they can upgrade the cameras too.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. FMinMI

FMinMI Member

I thought the cameras / sensors since Oct 16 2016 were the same as today. That is why they can upgrade to FSD computer if you bought/will by the package...

• Disagree x 1
  19. PunchIT

PunchIT Member

AP 2.0 camera is red/clear, 2.5 onward is color.

• Like x 1
  20. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Plus the front facing radar has a shorter range on AP2.0 versus AP2.5, along with lacking additional wiring redundancies (like the additional steering wheel vibration).

• Like x 1