Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using the Sentry Mode for a week now. I thought that the way it works was supposed to be the following:
  1. You enable Sentry Mode after parking.
  2. The car is monitoring its surroundings for events.
  3. When it detects an event, it starts recording video from four cameras: the front, back and two side cameras.
  4. The recorded video is saved to a special directory in the USB stick.
It would seem to be the case that 3 is not quite true. That is, in order to have a complete record of the event, the cameras must have been explicitly set recording before leaving the car.

Is this a correct assessment? I hope so, for, otherwise, something's wrong in my car.

I also think your assumption is correct. It should happen just the way you describe. Do you see the dashcam symbol on your car as you drive? If you don’t see it, that might mean that your flash drive is not set up correctly or not being recognized for some reason. Otherwise I think all cameras should be involved in sentry mode.

I also think your assumption is correct. It should happen just the way you describe. Do you see the dashcam symbol on your car as you drive? If you don’t see it, that might mean that your flash drive is not set up correctly or not being recognized for some reason. Otherwise I think all cameras should be involved in sentry mode.

I see the dashcam symbol all right. Straight video recording (i.e. by tapping on the dashcam symbol) does work. Here's in detail what happens when Sentry Mode is involved:
  1. I enable Sentry Mode.
  2. I do NOT get video recording going explicitly - i.e. I do NOT tap in the dashcam symbol. At this point, nothing is being recorded.
  3. I walk away.
  4. A while later I come back, WITHOUT my phone.
  5. I look inside the car - the screen is blank.
  6. I touch the car - the screen comes alive with HAL's eye, and claims that it is recording.
  7. I walk around the car, to make sure that all the cameras, if active, will record me.
  8. I walk away.
  9. I come back a while later, this time with my phone, and get into the car.
  10. At the screen I see that Sentry Mode has detected an event, as expected.
  11. I make sure that any video material is flushed to the USB by pressing on the dashcam symbol, until the down-arrow and tray symbol show up.
  12. When I get home, I park the car and remove the USB stick.
  13. I check out the contents of the USB stick.
There are videos in the SavedClips (or whatever it is exactly called) directory, and their timestamps seem to (roughly) correspond to the event I triggered. However, I cannot see myself in the recordings. In fact, they seem to correspond to the moment in which I came back to the car, and unlocked it with my phone. I see no video to do with the actual event.

The only way I can capture video for such events is if I had got the cameras explicitly recording beforehand. Sentry Mode is required if ALL the exterior cameras will record - without them, only the front-facing camera will record anything. And the video material will be saved to the SavedClips directory only when Sentry Mode is enabled; otherwise, it will go to the RecentClips directory, or to the top level, immediately under TeslaCam.

Your steps are the same that I used before the 2019.16.2 update that I just got. It always worked for me. It was always in the savedclips folder.

Which version of software is your car running?

Oh.. and it only records one from camera and the two side repeaters. Not the rear view camera.

Today I just caught somebody ding their door on mine (small scuff that mostly buffed out)