Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode rather useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are time/date stamped in UTC (so you would need to convert). In fact EVERY file ever written is time/date stamped. Don't think you can have a file without a time/date stamp.

As far as on screen playback it is likely coming. Sentry Mode is a new feature and in early beta mode.

Wrong from the standpoint the files are also date/time stamped in real time (the file name) so you don't have to convert anything. The UTC coding is listed in the Date Modified column as a back up universal method.

This thread really does highlight a new issue for Tesla though.
@tfraley is exactly right.
There are a whole bunch of customers new to the Tesla experience.
They expect stuff like this to just work and work correctly.
If you don’t know why things happened the way they did, your expectations will be completely different.
One of the things Tesla don’t do well is communicate this stuff. So it’s perfectly reasonable to expect it to just work.
The whole concept of releasing early and releasing often is new to the car industry and new owners need to be informed by Tesla of what to expect.

This thread really does highlight a new issue for Tesla though.
@tfraley is exactly right.
There are a whole bunch of customers new to the Tesla experience.
They expect stuff like this to just work and work correctly.
If you don’t know why things happened the way they did, your expectations will be completely different.
One of the things Tesla don’t do well is communicate this stuff. So it’s perfectly reasonable to expect it to just work.
The whole concept of releasing early and releasing often is new to the car industry and new owners need to be informed by Tesla of what to expect.

You don't get the email news letter with descriptions of each new feature? What about the special offer email that includes things like $2K FSD offers, etc? I don't read them because there are so many.

• Funny
Reactions: Twiglett
Useless seems a little strong. It's already more useful than most dashcams IMHO - it identifies and saves events without needing an impact against the car, and notifies you of the events. It also shows the sides of the car, where the typical front and rear dashcam doesn't cover.

There is certainly a lot of room for improvement. I'd like to see a notification go out when the incident occurs with a video clip of just the activity that tripped it from the relevant camera attached.

Obviously, reviewing on the main screen would be a nice feature.

Being able to see images in real time from the App would be nice.

Having the option of adding the b-pillar and rear cameras would be nice.

But it's already more than any other car I'm aware of offers, and I expect it to get better in the future.

Reactions: Scott7
The file folders should be sentry, sentry event, recent, and saved. Presently it's a cluster. Sentry in my car records everything moving on the street not just someone close to the car so it's impossible to know what is what. I had a bear mess with my car and it took me way to long to find the footage. He tried to open the handle until a neighbor chased him away on camera of course.

Can you post the video? :)

Can you post the video? :)

Actually by testing, I figured out that the "everything moving on the street" is not what is being specifically recorded, but is a part of the overall Sentry Event "dump" - manual says 10 minutes prior to the event or such. The relevant file with someone walking in close proximity is almost always at the end of the video collection. Which brings me to my question - what do you guys do to prevent the rapidly-accumulating Sentry videos in "Saved" from filling up the USB device? One can of course upgrade to a larger stick, but *it will eventually fill up* and will stop recording. That's not ideal for obvious reasons. The other day I was driving and realized the dashcam icon is not showing the red light - not recording at all (had a grey "x" on it).

Don't get me wrong if you come back to a broken window or a dent that time would be worth it.

The USB was apparently badly inserted, but Tesla keeps a Cloud copy for 72 hours of the movies. I came back to a broken window and no USB movies but I still have video after calling my Service Center.

Plus, the video shows music and the big red eye scared the thief away -- he did not even attempt to steal anything after activating the alarm.

Now don't ask me about parts availability after an incident like that, especially in Europe for the Model 3.

People complain about everything these days.

Tesla was never meant to have this system to begin with nor they were required to provided. I never had it on my previous vehicles nor Mercedes Benz dealers were offering it to me.

Tesla did listen to its customers and provided a way to help with the epidemic window break it to M3s that they had no control of and they did it for free but now people complain even about it.

If I wanted the same system on my 2017 E300, I'd have to pay ~$1k for it and without side views, just front and back. At least this system helps me record possible breaks in and issues when driving while being free.

Remember, Tesla was in no obligation to provide this feature and to be honest, its working as intended, it's quite simple to check the footage at home or your phone... maybe along the road they will allow to play dashcam videos on the screen but until then, we should count ourselves happy than our car is able to give us such feature for free... because we only paid for the car itself and the software that was given to us when we bought it (which for most didn't include NoA, enhanced summon, sentry mode, etc).

@Wizard2416

I can see where you are coming from because you had your car before it was added.
However, for people buying now, it's an included feature. I don't see it as free I see it as part of what I paid for.
A simple fix on Tesla's side is calling it beta until it's done.

Someone else here pointed out Tesla just hasn't done a good job at explaining new features or their intentions. Perhaps if it was explained by Tesla of its intentions and end goal would be people wouldn't be so confused about such features etc..

@Wizard2416

I can see where you are coming from because you had your car before it was added.
However, for people buying now, it's an included feature. I don't see it as free I see it as part of what I paid for.
A simple fix on Tesla's side is calling it beta until it's done.

Someone else here pointed out Tesla just hasn't done a good job at explaining new features or their intentions. Perhaps if it was explained by Tesla of its intentions and end goal would be people wouldn't be so confused about such features etc..

I understand but you have to admit that even the manual says that dashcam feature is in beta version.

If the car came with Sentri Mode, then it's a plus since I don't think you can find it in the vehicle description when you bought it.

About explaining some of the features. I never got Mercedes Benz to teach me how to use Distronic Plus when I bought my C300 and E300 so I think that's quite common hence why they point you to the manual prior using said features.