Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode rather useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry Mode is a great feature but need to be improved.

Show the alert info right on the screen while parked
Alert recording must use the rear camera

Like tfraley said:
"if I come back to my car and see 3 sentry notifications I should be able to view them quickly before I drive off.
Not waiting for me to get home then pull the USB plug it into a computer then scan through everything."

I agree Sentry Mode is too sensitive - I came back to my car after having it parked outside in a parking lot for 3 days - obviously too many to review and the car looked unscathed.

IMG_4506.jpeg

Also I've used this app on my laptop to combine the 3 videos, makes screening much more efficient, can review at 10X normal speed... TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

• Funny
Reactions: tfraley and logan
I am lost....I have yet to figure out how to teach Sentry Mode where my place of work is.......

It got Home right ;) but Work not so much :(

Any ideas?

For Manual-challenged owners :p From the Manual (which was update 5/16/19 btw and contains a lot of new info) on Page 121 about Security Settings:

Location-Based Settings

You can customize Sentry Mode to automatically enable near certain locations when the vehicle is parked. The available settings are:

• Exclude Home: Sentry Mode will not activate automatically near the location you set as Home in your Favorites list (seeRecent, Favorite, Home and Work Destinations on page 112).
    Note: To set up your Home location, touch Navigate and hold down Home, then enter your address. Touch "Save as Home".
  • Exclude Work: Sentry Mode will not activate automatically near the location you set as Work in your Favorites. Set your Work location the same way you set up your Home location, as previously described.
  • Exclude Favorites: Based on your predetermined Favorite locations (seeRecent, Favorite, Home and Work Destinations on page 112), Sentry Mode will not automatically activate near Favorite locations.

Your vehicle must be parked within 32 feet (10 meters) from your Home, Work, or Favorite for Sentry Mode to recognize this location.
FROM PAGE 112:

Recent, Favorite, Home and Work Destinations

When you touch Navigate on the map, a list of Recent destinations appear and you can easily navigate to any recent destination by selecting it from the list.

If you frequently drive to a destination, you may want to add it as a favorite to avoid having to enter the location's name or address each time. When you add a destination as a Favorite, you can easily navigate to it by touching Navigate > Favorites and then selecting it from the list of favorites.

To add a destination to your Favorites list touch its pin on the map, then touch the heart icon on the popup window that appears. You will be prompted to name the Favorite. Enter a name (or leave as-is to accept the default name), then touch Add to Favorites. The heart becomes solid gray and the destination is included on the Favorites list.

To delete a Recent or Favorite destination, touch and hold it down briefly, then touch the X that appears.

The top of the navigation list also provides shortcuts for Home and Work locations. Touch to set an address to either of these locations. After entering the address, touch SAVE AS HOME or SAVE AS WORK. Then simply touch these shortcuts whenever you want to navigate home or to work.

To change the location associated with Home or Work, press and hold the shortcut icon and enter a new address in the popup window. To delete, press and hold the shortcut button, then touch CLEAR HOME or CLEAR WORK.

Note: Based on your usage patterns, you may be prompted to save a location as Home or Work.

Note: Once a Home or Work location is saved, Model 3 may prompt you to navigate to your Work location in the mornings and to your Home location in the evenings and tell you how long it will take to arrive based on currenttraffic conditions.

For security reasons, if you sell Model 3, it is recommended that you delete your Home and Work Locations. You can delete these individually or you can perform a factory reset to erase all personal data (see Erasing Personal Data on page 102).

Last edited:
Reactions: Deal
Sentry Mode is a great feature but need to be improved.

Show the alert info right on the screen while parked
Alert recording must use the rear camera

Like tfraley said:
"if I come back to my car and see 3 sentry notifications I should be able to view them quickly before I drive off.
Not waiting for me to get home then pull the USB plug it into a computer then scan through everything."
Just get one of these. This one is by Samsung.
41GxYupc4VL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
I returned to a badly dented door and found that the thumb drive had filled the day before so Sentry mode had stopped recording. I contacted Tesla via customer support chat (the only way I could get someone to help) and was told in no uncertain terms customers cannot get copies of the uploaded video. Please let me (and us all!) know where you called and how you were able to get your video from Tesla. I have a large insurance deductible and even larger sense of satisfaction riding on it! TIA!
I received a similar response from the service center, so no luck for me too

Just get one of these. This one is by Samsung.
41GxYupc4VL._AC_SY400_.jpg

It's a good option if you have an android phone but not an option if you have an iPhone that kinda stuff is still locked down or locked into a specific app. the Scandisk wifi one is really one of the few options :(

I normally keep 2 small usb3 sticks one velcroed and one in. So when I grab one I can plug the other in. ie always have one in which works fine when i'm home but when out and about.. no real option

It's a good option if you have an android phone but not an option if you have an iPhone that kinda stuff is still locked down or locked into a specific app. the Scandisk wifi one is really one of the few options :(

I normally keep 2 small usb3 sticks one velcroed and one in. So when I grab one I can plug the other in. ie always have one in which works fine when i'm home but when out and about.. no real option
Then switch to Android. Easy.

Once iOS 13 comes out (probably in September), you'll be able to read USB memory devices directly through the stock Files app using an OTG/Lightning adapter.

Reactions: tfraley

Ok, this one then.
ref=sr_1_147

https://www.amazon.com/iOS-USB-Flas...flash+drive&qid=1555953394&s=gateway&sr=8-147

This sentry mode alert is worse than useless. How about a time stamp at least so I can find the relevant file on the thumb drive? Why aren’t the relevant files in a separate folder? Why can’t I see the alert info right on the screen while parked?? Why doesn’t the alert recording also use the rear camera??
What is Sentry mode? I took delivery of my M3 last Saturday and no one mentioned to me about Sentry mode and how to operate it.

I think I read in another thread on another forum that this didn't work; hence my ask...
All the drives/adapters out there today that require a special app to access the storage will probably not work with the native Files app in iOS 13, because they use a proprietary method. But simple OTG adapters (including Apple's own USB camera adapter) will.

All the drives/adapters out there today that require a special app to access the storage will probably not work with the native Files app in iOS 13, because they use a proprietary method. But simple OTG adapters (including Apple's own USB camera adapter) will.

Hmmm.... Would love to see someone post a screen shot with their actual setup and Sentry video on iPhone screen...

What is Sentry mode? I took delivery of my M3 last Saturday and no one mentioned to me about Sentry mode and how to operate it.

Sentry mode allows your car to record events near your car, such as possible damage or break ins.
First, see how to enable the Dash cam. You put a flash drive in one of the USB slots with a file folder names "TeslaCam"
You'll now see a dashcam icon show up on the top right of the screen. When you go into park there will be a sentry mode icon.

Sentry mode allows your car to record events near your car, such as possible damage or break ins.
First, see how to enable the Dash cam. You put a flash drive in one of the USB slots with a file folder names "TeslaCam"
You'll now see a dashcam icon show up on the top right of the screen. When you go into park there will be a sentry mode icon.
Thank you. I will give it a try.