Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode records shopping cart hitting Model 3 - GTA Dent Removal shops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Looking for some suggestions on dent repair shops in the GTA? Any recommendations? Hoping the dent doesn't require paint or a new quarter panel...

I parked my car in a Home Depot parking lot, when a cart from far away hit a Ford pick up truck and then bounced off it and hit my model 3.

Sentry Video here:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.15.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.15.18 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 325
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.15.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.15.28 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.15.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.15.58 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
Hi everyone,

Looking for some suggestions on dent repair shops in the GTA? Any recommendations? Hoping the dent doesn't require paint or a new quarter panel...

I parked my car in a Home Depot parking lot, when a cart from far away hit a Ford pick up truck and then bounced off it and hit my model 3.

Sentry Video here:
Damn....that shopping cart really made a bee line for your car. That really sucks, but on the flip side at least you know it wasn't some a$$hole that hit your car or pushed the cart into yours intentionally and left without leaving a note :oops:

Without sentry mode I would have immediately assumed someone did it on purpose, and immediately want to track down the offender and make a 'correction' to their vehicle....but your video clearly shows this was a random incident (perpetrated by the idiot that left the cart free in the parking lot to begin with, but they didn't intend to cause damage to the 2x cars shown in your vid).

Good luck with the repair. Please post pics of the after. I hope I never have to use a dentless repair service, but its impressive to think they can correct that level of damage to your baby.

Thanks for the shop recommendations. I have contacted Autodent and will keep everyone posted.

As for the incident, it was extremely windy where I was, you can notice some debris at 1:04 flying around and how the seat strap on the cart is moving. I agree, before I remembered that I have Sentry Mode, I thought someone crashed into the shopping cart and pinned it on my car. I feel bad for the Ford truck in the back that got hit first and maybe has a similar dent but has no way of knowing what hit his/her truck!

Hi everyone,

Sentry Video here:

I REALLY hate to hear about this and more so, I really hate to SEE it in real time. I have had my car hit twice by shopping carts.......one time the damage was paid for by the lot's owners.........the other by me. In any case, I thought I would put my $0.02 in and say that this video is NOT sentry video. When you enable sentry mode, it does not start recording immediately. It only starts recording video that will not be overwritten when it senses "an event" such as someone near your car and/or slamming or banging of the car door and/or window. While the impact of the cart on your car should have probably initiated the start of a sentry mode recording, the sentry mode video (if reviewed) would have not shown the impact, but would have shown the cart there after the impact. The video that we observed is the regular dashcam video. The difference being that dashcam video is always recording and will be overwritten in an hour whereas sentry mode video has to be initiated by "an event" and will NEVER be overwritten. Semantics I guess, but just trying to be clear on what we are watching. Luckily, you watched the dashcam video before it was overwritten. Should you have come back to the car an hour after the cart impacted your car, you would not have seen the cart actually impacting your car because the dashcam video would have been overwritten and any sentry mode video (IF it was initiated by the impact) would not have shown the cart first impacting the truck and then your car.

• Informative
Reactions: m3am3 and GeoX750
I REALLY hate to hear about this and more so, I really hate to SEE it in real time. I have had my car hit twice by shopping carts.......one time the damage was paid for by the lot's owners.........the other by me. In any case, I thought I would put my $0.02 in and say that this video is NOT sentry video. When you enable sentry mode, it does not start recording immediately. It only starts recording video that will not be overwritten when it senses "an event" such as someone near your car and/or slamming or banging of the car door and/or window. While the impact of the cart on your car should have probably initiated the start of a sentry mode recording, the sentry mode video (if reviewed) would have not shown the impact, but would have shown the cart there after the impact. The video that we observed is the regular dashcam video. The difference being that dashcam video is always recording and will be overwritten in an hour whereas sentry mode video has to be initiated by "an event" and will NEVER be overwritten. Semantics I guess, but just trying to be clear on what we are watching. Luckily, you watched the dashcam video before it was overwritten. Should you have come back to the car an hour after the cart impacted your car, you would not have seen the cart actually impacting your car because the dashcam video would have been overwritten and any sentry mode video (IF it was initiated by the impact) would not have shown the cart first impacting the truck and then your car.

If sentry is activated and senses/stores an event, it only stores data after it happens? No buffer time of saving a few seconds prior to impact?

Could have been worse. A couple of decades ago I forgot to set my parking brake, and my car rolled into someone else's car in the parking lot. I've been paranoid about setting the parking brake ever since.

I don’t believe this is entirely true about sentry, at least not the case for a model 3. From my own recordings sentry when activated records when someone or a car passes closely by the view of one of the cameras. It records and saves the event and the last 10 minutes prior in 1 minute increments. On the TeslaCam USB, triggered events are saved in a Saved recordings folder with subfolders that are dated and time titled. The constantly overwritten video clips are temporarily saved in the recent recordings folder. These are overwritten/deleted after an hour.

From experience I have sentry on at work, and after an 8 hour day parked with Sentry on, any motion near the car is saved as I described above and not overwritten.

Last edited:
The one thing this thread has demonstrated is that Occam's Razor isn't always correct o_O The simple solution was someone hitting the car and driving away...but the actual solution is a combination of:

1. High winds
2. Idiot shopper leaving the cart free in parking lot instead of walking their fat a$$ 20 feet to put it away properly
3. Epic pinball deflections off of other cars
4. Uninterrupted travel, and a slight downhill run into the model 3 to cause such a large dent

Maybe an even more complicated solution is that this cart was fitted with the latest FSD package from an anti-EV development group, and its currently prowling parking lots trying to find other EVs to bop into...be afraid....be very afraid! :eek: