Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode wierdness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally managed to get SentryMode working (hopefully) after a couple false starts.
It filled up 23Gb on the disk within 20 hours. Through the night it was recording stuff while the car was parked in my garage. Many of the clips are just completely black or lighting changes as cars went by on the street.
Some of the clips are my wife pulling the car in/out of the garage - but it doesn't have clips of her getting in/out of the car at the grocery store.

I've got the options checked for 'Exclude Home, Work, Favorite places' - it still recorded stuff in my garage.
Strangely I now have 3 folders under TeslaCam
1. SavedClips 2. RecentClips 3. SentryClips

SentryClips has a lot of folders each with 4 files - front, back and the 2 side cameras (?)

Very strange behaviour. Beta software ?

When you designate a "home" location, it basically throws up a geofence around whatever point you've indicated of a certain size, I'm not sure how big that is though. Perhaps you designated a home spot that doesn't quite include your garage within it's geofence? Or maybe you just need to do a reboot to get it working correctly.

Your folder collection is normal - saved clips is ones where you pressed the dashcam icon while driving to save an incident; Recent CLips is normal, boring (hopefully) driving clips, and Sentry Clips is, well, you know.

"Beta software?"

Yes. And...

Motion (change) occurring at certain locations in the video frames will trigger an event. This includes flickering lights, flickering shadows, people walking by, cars moving past, etc.

If you are just seeing brightness level changes (No motion, just the brightness of the scene changed) triggering it, then do a soft reboot on the car and it might correct it. Otherwise see the info from sduck regarding home geofencing.

Not to hijack the thread, but I’m also having weird sentry mode issues recently. It worked fine since last Spring until this past week. I visited family for two days during thanksgiving....turned sentry off while there as there’s no danger. When I left I turned sentry back on.....but when I got home it’s now also recording in my garage....ie not recognizing home. It’s never done this in the past. I rebooted twice, turned it off and on....to no avail. I’m on 36.2.1 since early Nov, no issues there.

any ideas?