Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have Sentry Mode set to not be active at your home location that could explain your issue with Sentry Mode not being triggered.

Be sure to set your home location in the Navigation system.

A little red dot will be displayed inside the Sentry Mode icon on the screen anytime Sentry Mode is active for that location. You can toggle this manually if you wish to manually control if Sentry Mode is active when you park.

Generally you don't want to leave Sentry Mode active all the time as this uses more power from the 12V system than if the vehicle enters sleep mode. (The Tesla needs to periodically enter sleep mode to measure the Open Cell Voltage (OCV) within the cells of the battery pack to accurately determine the state of the battery.)

If you have Sentry Mode set to not be active at your home location that could explain your issue with Sentry Mode not being triggered.

Be sure to set your home location in the Navigation system.

A little red dot will be displayed inside the Sentry Mode icon on the screen anytime Sentry Mode is active for that location. You can toggle this manually if you wish to manually control if Sentry Mode is active when you park.

Generally you don't want to leave Sentry Mode active all the time as this uses more power from the 12V system than if the vehicle enters sleep mode. (The Tesla needs to periodically enter sleep mode to measure the Open Cell Voltage (OCV) within the cells of the battery pack to accurately determine the state of the battery.)
Thanks. Yup, I’ve tested home and away and toggled the exception on and off for home. No difference. Won’t trigger an alert anywhere.

Try reformatting the storage device in the USB-A port (assuming this is a new '21 Model Y Tesla provides a USB thumb drive for storing Sentry Mode and Dashcam video.)

You might also try rebooting the Model Y.
I did once. I tried again this am. Going to give that a shot. I’ve done a soft reboot and the reformat independently.

question, when the sentry is set to on, is that switch blue like other settings? Or still on but also in gray? Mine is in, the red circle is on, but it’s a gray colored icon, set to on.

I did once. I tried again this am. Going to give that a shot. I’ve done a soft reboot and the reformat independently.

question, when the sentry is set to on, is that switch blue like other settings? Or still on but also in gray? Mine is in, the red circle is on, but it’s a gray colored icon, set to on.
With Sentry Mode set to On the slider switch remains gray. The default settings when Sentry Mode is set to On are: Off at Home Location, On at Work Location, Off at Favorite Locations. (If you want to set Sentry Mode On for your Home Location, Off at your Work Location or On at your Favorite Locations you have to change these default settings manually each time you set Sentry Mode to On.

The dot within the dot circle screen icon is Red when Sentry Mode is set to On, no dot within the circle when Sentry Mode is set to Off. The red dot within the Dashcam viewer icon remains red (I believe this red dot may indicate that there is a storage device in the USB-A slot.)

Reference - Tesla Software Version: 2021.4.18

Last edited:
Reactions: FMSCMYP
With Sentry Mode set to On the slider switch remains gray. The default settings when Sentry Mode is set to On are: Off at Home Location, On at Work Location, Off at Favorite Locations. (If you want to set Sentry Mode On for your Home Location, Off at your Work Location or On at your Favorite Locations you have to change these default settings manually each time you set Sentry Mode to On.

The dot within the dot circle screen icon is Red when Sentry Mode is set to On, no dot within the circle when Sentry Mode is set to Off. The red dot within the Dashcam viewer icon remains red (I believe this red dot may indicate that there is a storage device in the USB-A slot.)

Reference - Tesla Software Version: 2021.4.18
Appreciate it. So then all “looks” right on my end. Just not performing as expected.

Same issue here with a brand new MY. This is with a factory supplied USB drive.
Sentry is enabled (also "on" for all locations), dot is red and it just doesn't work.
I left my card and phone at home and walked around, there is no light flash nor screen notification in the vehicle.
Done reformatting, reboot, replug etc. Dashcam works though.

Just curios - of those impacted - how many are driving non radar variants.
Based upon dates, probably all of us. But can't fathom how it's related other than maybe some code in there.

So, I did a hard/full reset, under Software I think. I got Sentry to work last night, testing at my neighbor's house. I even had my phone in my pocket and it caught us walking back up to the car. But, I think it did not work after that.

I have to test again, but it did not catch me walking up to the car again.

I have a mobile service set for tomorrow. Will report back.

Based upon dates, probably all of us. But can't fathom how it's related other than maybe some code in there.

So, I did a hard/full reset, under Software I think. I got Sentry to work last night, testing at my neighbor's house. I even had my phone in my pocket and it caught us walking back up to the car. But, I think it did not work after that.

When the car was still being made (pre delivery) - I thought I saw a message (now I cant find it) indicating that the cam only variant will have will have camera dependent features (like Sentry Mode) deployed in waves as they fully bring the neural system on line (very Cyber Dyne ish LOL)

Will be eagerly awaiting your report back from service.