Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just had 2 gents from Tesla Mobile support come to my house to look at my lack of Sentry issue. As expected they couldn't
get it to work either. One of the guys had his laptop and was looking at diagnostic stuff on the car and it seemed to indicate
that the USB was not working. I proved that wrong because we were able to save clips successfully with the stock
Tesla USB and another one I had. He was on with the back end "Virtual engineering" team who wanted them to swap out the
glove box. The back of the glove box has a bunch of chips and stuff but after failing a few other tests he decided not to
bother.

While here I also showed them the Reddit thread which they read as well as a few other articled but this was the first they're
hearing of this issue in the Phoenix area. They send more logs to the Virtual guys and told me that team would be looking
at my car remotely and would reach out if they needed me to bring it in.
Thanks for sharing. I had them doing remote as well. Interesting that it’s the first they’re hearing of it out there.

I got a sentry alert today for the first time in weeks while shopping. It recorded a woman getting in the passenger side of a car in front of mine: she stood outside the vehicle for about 2 minutes with the door open talking to someone. Yet the car next to mine was gone and another one had parked next to me: it didn't get that. Only the woman who "loitered" for a while. And that sentry clip was riddled with the typical Teslacam/Sentrycam artifacts. I had those when using the Tesla USB stick that came with the car so I switched to a Sandisk Max Endurance: they both have the artifacts. Anyway, today I ordered a Samsung SSD and will try that. Seems like those are more stable than flash drives at least: not expecting it to fix the sentry-not-recording problem but who knows, maybe it'll fix the artifacts.

Mike

I got a sentry alert today for the first time in weeks while shopping. It recorded a woman getting in the passenger side of a car in front of mine: she stood outside the vehicle for about 2 minutes with the door open talking to someone. Yet the car next to mine was gone and another one had parked next to me: it didn't get that. Only the woman who "loitered" for a while. And that sentry clip was riddled with the typical Teslacam/Sentrycam artifacts. I had those when using the Tesla USB stick that came with the car so I switched to a Sandisk Max Endurance: they both have the artifacts. Anyway, today I ordered a Samsung SSD and will try that. Seems like those are more stable than flash drives at least: not expecting it to fix the sentry-not-recording problem but who knows, maybe it'll fix the artifacts.

Mike
I don’t think the triggering issue has anything to do with storage device since dashcam works perfectly for most.
The only time I had a real trigger was a really bad rainstorm. It got big waves of rain and lightning while the car was parked. So weird.

I was told by Tesla service that all cars delivered without radar will not have sentry mode until a future firmware update. No timeframe given.
I think it’s definitely there…. It just doesn’t work ha.
This was the update as of today…

Attachments

• 8D77CA77-4666-4FEC-BB0D-64893B239090.jpeg
    8D77CA77-4666-4FEC-BB0D-64893B239090.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: jjgg
They don't always go in order. Looking at fleet installs from TeslaFi... 4.21 was installed on a few dozen vehicles last week (then it stopped). Now today, 4.18.5 was spotted (2 vehicles pending). Sometimes numbers are skipped and sometimes you see a few dozen installs, a stop, and then an even later version at a later date: I assume those are where they loaded it onto a small percentage and saw something they didn't like and stopped it.

Mike

They don't always go in order. Looking at fleet installs from TeslaFi... 4.21 was installed on a few dozen vehicles last week (then it stopped). Now today, 4.18.5 was spotted (2 vehicles pending). Sometimes numbers are skipped and sometimes you see a few dozen installs, a stop, and then an even later version at a later date: I assume those are where they loaded it onto a small percentage and saw something they didn't like and stopped it.

Mike
Thanks. This looks interesting. 4.18.5 only has China installations. It may be related to the AP "recall" there. 4.21 looks more promising as a future version for us.

Thanks. This looks interesting. 4.18.5 only has China installations. It may be related to the AP "recall" there. 4.21 looks more promising as a future version for us.

Good catch! I didn't notice the 4.18.5 installations were China. I guess it's possible they decided to hold off on 4.21 if they want to incorporate the China fix into all cars before they continue. Maybe we'll get a 4.22 or something.

Mike

Reactions: FMSCMYP