Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good for documentation - let me know if there is somehow a fix that mobile service may be privy to. My understanding is it's been escalated to engineering.
Mobile service (out of Knoxville) came to address my front passenger window misalignment, broken wheel cover, and no sentry mode this morning. The tech was very nice and seemed very knowledgeable, but wasn't able to fix sentry mode and had not heard of any other sentry mode issues. After I described the sentry mode issues that many of you have, he indicated that indeed a software fix was probably the solution and he would investigate further.

Reactions: FMSCMYP
I just saw this today, and tested myself to confirm sentry mode is not doing anything on my car either (on 18.3), if I tried to pull the door handle while it was locked.

Sentry mode recording did get triggered once when my son opened the door from inside while the car was locked, a week ago when it was on 18.2.

I guess sentry mode is not completely broken, but only certain triggers are broken.

Reactions: cancoi
For me, all camera triggers are broken. If I try a door handle while it is locked and no form of a key nearby, sometimes it'll trigger. But otherwise I can walk circles around the car and the cameras never trigger it. 2021.4.18 March 2021 Model 3 build: with radar. Tried all forms of reboot and power off/on, all sentry related options (both on and off), and multiple SD cards just in case. Same result: cameras won't trigger it.

Mike

For me, all camera triggers are broken. If I try a door handle while it is locked and no form of a key nearby, sometimes it'll trigger. But otherwise I can walk circles around the car and the cameras never trigger it. 2021.4.18 March 2021 Model 3 build: with radar. Tried all forms of reboot and power off/on, all sentry related options (both on and off), and multiple SD cards just in case. Same result: cameras won't trigger it.

Mike
Same. I have admittedly not tried triggering it from inside the car like the comment above. I don’t really have a use case for that.
I do think everyone should report it though, maybe get some more attention to it. My remote diagnostics did confirm they’re aware and Tesla is working on it.

Same. I have admittedly not tried triggering it from inside the car like the comment above. I don’t really have a use case for that.
I do think everyone should report it though, maybe get some more attention to it. My remote diagnostics did confirm they’re aware and Tesla is working on it.
Triggering sentry mode from exiting a locked car is probably the same situation as someone breaking the window and popping the door open using the manual lever. So it does have a little bit coverage for the break-in situation, although it is over 90% useless right now.

I assume that by this time Tesla has already got good metrics that the bug impacts almost everyone. They shouldn't even need us to report - there should be easily over x% of sentry model trigger drop observed on their end. (If they lack this alarm they should add one for sure, as a retrospective item from this bug incident.) Having everyone reporting an already confirmed bug (and presumably confirmed impact/severity) won't help too much. Maybe tweeting Elon about this could be more effective in adding some pressures.

I'm not sure how they would know based on logs whether sentry is working or not. In order to know whether or not it worked, they'd have to: (a) see that there are no sentry events and then (b) somehow know that there was something moving near the car that should have set off a sentry event. I guess you could make some inferences about sentry status if you just looked at fleet numbers: how many sentry events get triggered on average. And then look at that number over time to see if it dropped dramatically and on which cars. Example: fleet average was 21% that had at least one sentry event while parked and now it's 1%. Not sure whether they'd go to that trouble or they have that level of sophistication in the data they collect.

Mike

I'm not sure how they would know based on logs whether sentry is working or not. In order to know whether or not it worked, they'd have to: (a) see that there are no sentry events and then (b) somehow know that there was something moving near the car that should have set off a sentry event. I guess you could make some inferences about sentry status if you just looked at fleet numbers: how many sentry events get triggered on average. And then look at that number over time to see if it dropped dramatically and on which cars. Example: fleet average was 21% that had at least one sentry event while parked and now it's 1%. Not sure whether they'd go to that trouble or they have that level of sophistication in the data they collect.

Mike
Exactly, they can use the fleet wide data. Over a period, the entire fleet's number of sentry events should form a relatively stable trend. If all in a sudden the number deviates from the trend and the timing correlates to some SW / production change, there should be enough signals to raise alarms.

This sounds like "trouble" but in fact it is pretty common best practices for production SW system's operational excellence.

This is probably no new information but I thought I'd mention, this morning my 2021 Model 3 (with radar) updated from 2021.4.18 --> 2021.4.18.2. Nothing changed: sentry is still broken. Drove it about 20 miles from home today, parked it, and people were driving/walking all around it while parked and locked with sentry on. Not one sentry event recorded.

Mike

This is probably no new information but I thought I'd mention, this morning my 2021 Model 3 (with radar) updated from 2021.4.18 --> 2021.4.18.2. Nothing changed: sentry is still broken. Drove it about 20 miles from home today, parked it, and people were driving/walking all around it while parked and locked with sentry on. Not one sentry event recorded.

Mike
Interesting you're only getting that now. 2021.4.18.3 came out last week. Yes Sentry is still broken in that revision too -)

My Model 3 is three weeks old. Sentry mode is working. Latest Software.

EDIT: Nope, mine is not working either. Went out to car to download footage from last night, and USB was corrupted. Reformatted and tested Sentry mode nada,nothing.:(

Last edited:
So I just had 2 gents from Tesla Mobile support come to my house to look at my lack of Sentry issue. As expected they couldn't
get it to work either. One of the guys had his laptop and was looking at diagnostic stuff on the car and it seemed to indicate
that the USB was not working. I proved that wrong because we were able to save clips successfully with the stock
Tesla USB and another one I had. He was on with the back end "Virtual engineering" team who wanted them to swap out the
glove box. The back of the glove box has a bunch of chips and stuff but after failing a few other tests he decided not to
bother.

While here I also showed them the Reddit thread which they read as well as a few other articled but this was the first they're
hearing of this issue in the Phoenix area. They send more logs to the Virtual guys and told me that team would be looking
at my car remotely and would reach out if they needed me to bring it in.