Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sept 10 - Oct 1 2019 2K Miles Free Supercharging Promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm located in Los Angeles and placed an order for a Model 3 MSM SR+ on September 6th, (4) days before Tesla doubled the free Supercharging referral miles from 1K to 2K for orders places on or after September 10th and delivered by October 1st. I'm not in a particular hurry for the vehicle, but not sure if its worth canceling the order and placing a new order to get the miles? My main concern is with the current backlog of orders, if I place a new order today, it's quite possible Tesla will not be be able to deliver the vehicle by October 1st (in effect this means Tesla are offering a promotion they will not have to fill due to their production delays which doesn't seem right to me). Here is the reply I received back from my sales assistant:

"We aren’t allowed to change the order to benefit from a new referral program. They only way we can go about it would be to cancel the existing order and place a brand new order with that referral link to get the extra 1000 miles"

I'm located in Los Angeles and placed an order for a Model 3 MSM SR+ on September 6th, (4) days before Tesla doubled the free Supercharging referral miles from 1K to 2K for orders places on or after September 10th and delivered by October 1st. I'm not in a particular hurry for the vehicle, but not sure if its worth canceling the order and placing a new order to get the miles? My main concern is with the current backlog of orders, if I place a new order today, it's quite possible Tesla will not be be able to deliver the vehicle by October 1st (in effect this means Tesla are offering a promotion they will not have to fill due to their production delays which doesn't seem right to me). Here is the reply I received back from my sales assistant:

"We aren’t allowed to change the order to benefit from a new referral program. They only way we can go about it would be to cancel the existing order and place a brand new order with that referral link to get the extra 1000 miles"
The extra miles is worth maybe 50 bucks? Not worth it to me, but to each his own.

Reactions: RScottyL
I am supposed to take delivery today on a model 3. Has anyone actually received the free two year supercharging benefit? What store? My sales person in Miami is saying this promotion is not real. They have not received any notice about it. Fairly certain once I pick up the car I'll have no recourse to get the deal if it is real.

I am supposed to take delivery today on a model 3. Has anyone actually received the free two year supercharging benefit? What store? My sales person in Miami is saying this promotion is not real. They have not received any notice about it. Fairly certain once I pick up the car I'll have no recourse to get the deal if it is real.

My guess (and its only a guess) is that this promotion is supposed to be a "closing technique" in sales speak. Meaning if you walked in off the street, and were interested in ordering a car in the store, the salesperson could use this (and paint upgrades / wheel upgrades) to "assist you in making a decision to take an in stock unit vs waiting on an ordered one.

No proof of that at all, but this is the way the car business in general tends to work.

So, since you are already a "closed" sale, why should they offer this to you? Your order was likely prior to September 10th (which was the start of these end of quarter promotions) so I doubt they will "just add it", because you did not "order sept 10th or later, and take delivery october 1st or earlier).

Hopefully I am wrong. Maybe pressure will make tesla extend this to others, but it really makes no sense for them to extend an "ordering / take delivery incentive" to people who already ordered in the past and just happen to be taking delivery now. Yours is already a sale thats planned, they want people who are on the fence to jump in

My guess (and its only a guess) is that this promotion is supposed to be a "closing technique" in sales speak. Meaning if you walked in off the street, and were interested in ordering a car in the store, the salesperson could use this (and paint upgrades / wheel upgrades) to "assist you in making a decision to take an in stock unit vs waiting on an ordered one.

No proof of that at all, but this is the way the car business in general tends to work.

So, since you are already a "closed" sale, why should they offer this to you? Your order was likely prior to September 10th (which was the start of these end of quarter promotions) so I doubt they will "just add it", because you did not "order sept 10th or later, and take delivery october 1st or earlier).

Hopefully I am wrong. Maybe pressure will make tesla extend this to others, but it really makes no sense for them to extend an "ordering / take delivery incentive" to people who already ordered in the past and just happen to be taking delivery now. Yours is already a sale thats planned, they want people who are on the fence to jump in
I ordered September 5, got matched a VIN yesterday and text for delivery today. I immediately emailed my SA and asked/ told them to add the free supercharging and included the link to the article above. She emailed back confirming I would receive the free supercharging. This is in Orlando - it is definitely a real thing and I would demand (respectfully) that it be added to your account. We all seem to have placed our orders a bit too soon, and shouldn’t be penalized for that. Good luck!

I ordered September 5, got matched a VIN yesterday and text for delivery today. I immediately emailed my SA and asked/ told them to add the free supercharging and included the link to the article above. She emailed back confirming I would receive the free supercharging. This is in Orlando - it is definitely a real thing and I would demand (respectfully) that it be added to your account. We all seem to have placed our orders a bit too soon, and shouldn’t be penalized for that. Good luck!

That’s good news.... as I’m literally en route to take delivery.

Cheers!!

Any of you who have "confirmations from your salesperson that you will get it added", when you take delivery I would ask them to show you where its added. If they say anything like "oh I cant find it but I will add it later".... well the track record on that is not great by tesla at all.

Let us know if you were able to get something in writing / official confirmation that you:

1. placed an order before sep 10th
2. got the 2 year promo added to your order anyway
3. have some proof that it was actually done.

That would go a long way toward helping those who are in the process of trying to do this

I agree the above would be helpful. I delayed delivery to see how this shakes out. Anyone who gets this deal please post about it, where etc. Proof would be great too. Otherwise it's me and a forum against a sales agent saying this is not real.

Let us know if you were able to get something in writing / official confirmation that you:

1. placed an order before sep 10th
2. got the 2 year promo added to your order anyway
3. have some proof that it was actually done.

That would go a long way toward helping those who are in the process of trying to do this

I did this today in San Diego for 2yrSC. It’s real. I have a text thread from SA that it was done and independent phone verification from the delivery team that the request was made (though still pending approval at a higher level). I am scheduled to take delivery Monday and will confirm this in writing before accepting the car.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
LOL there are two threads now active... but this was my experience taking delivery today.

We ended up speaking to the delivery manager at Fremont and she said the law of the Tesla Auditors was that they would be able to apply either 2 years of free supercharging OR the free upgrades (2 of the three) assuming you were taking delivery of an inventory car. I was very fortunate to have taken the latter option, so I was able to knock $2,000 off of my sticker plus get my 2,000 mile referral bonus, so overall I am very happy.

For reference, the equivalent of the 2 years of supercharging is about $300, so the upgrades were definitely the way to go.

So I emailed my SA tonight as I found a gray inventory car in a nearby city I’d be willing to travel to to see if I could get a free upgrade. Immediately received a response that since I have a vin (assigned yesterday), that it could not be changed and there was not exception. This is frustrating as it feels like 2 clicks and this switch could be made. I followed up letting her known my frustration due to timing and to see if I could get a discount, homelink or a HPWC thrown in as consolation for their policy. Still going to be happy with my white car when I get it next week and maybe I seem selfish but feel it’s worth the shot. For a $50+ thousand dollar car.

LR,Red, order placed 18Aug, no VIN

Got conflicting answers from Fremont delivery center and Dublin CA store

Fremont delivery center says 2 year free supercharging is only for orders placed after Sep 10 and delivered before Oct 1
Sales associate (Dublin,CA) says it is applicable to existing orders as long as the delivery date is before Oct 1

Anyone has a confirmation on existing orders before Sep 10? please post

My order was 7/31, got my VIN less than a week ago, have not taken delivery yet. I've asked both my local store sales person and the Nevada sales person I have emails for, and both denied me.

Although it would be nice to get the 2yrs of charging for principle alone, I owned a model 3 for 6 months before, and we didn't supercharge once (rarely take road trips). So, I guess I won't allow myself to be too stressed about it.

The free upgrades on the other hand is something I'd fight harder for if there was evidence people are getting this added to custom orders. I don't think I've seen that happen, though.

My order was 7/31, got my VIN less than a week ago, have not taken delivery yet. I've asked both my local store sales person and the Nevada sales person I have emails for, and both denied me.

Although it would be nice to get the 2yrs of charging for principle alone, I owned a model 3 for 6 months before, and we didn't supercharge once (rarely take road trips). So, I guess I won't allow myself to be too stressed about it.

The free upgrades on the other hand is something I'd fight harder for if there was evidence people are getting this added to custom orders. I don't think I've seen that happen, though.

If I were in your position, I would probably ask for the promotion as well.

But that being said, it ultimately comes down to why the promotion exists. They're doing it to match inventory vehicles to purchasers who otherwise wouldn't buy before October 1 and to clear out inventory. If you've got a VIN, that means they've already manufactured a vehicle to your exact specifications. If they allowed you to swap now it would create another inventory vehicle.

Reactions: Daniel_6
Tesla’s 2000 supercharging mile referral bonus began September 10, 2019 and was given as long as the buyer took delivery by October 1, 2019. However, if Tesla delayed the delivery until after October 1, 2019 (at no fault of the buyer) the referral bonus miles reverted to 1000. I had four referrals between September 10th and October 1st. All but the first referral (September 12th) were delivered on time. The September 12th order was not delivered until October 24th. This had nothing to do with any act by the buyer. This was due to a Tesla delay. Regardless, Tesla only credited 1000 of the 2000 referral miles. This does not seem cricket. Any opinions?