Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys and ladies, how would we know when they start selling 2022 Model Ys? I’ve read some people say in Oct of every year they start selling the next year model, but can anybody confirm when 2022 models will be sold? I finally got an EDD of end of the year, literally, and I am hoping I get a 2022 model. Original order date was 9/14. I got a LR, everything standard except for the white interior.

Tesla doesn't really do "model years" - changes are made whenever they're ready. They do sometimes roll out new options or configurations (such as the Model Y Performance). The two things on the horizon for ordering are the potential that the US government passes legislation to give Teslas a tax credit again - if that happens it would probably be for anything delivered on Jan 1 2022 or later. The other thing we're excited about is possible future 4680 battery packs and front-single-casting construction - we honestly have no clue when that'll come to the Model Y in any meaningful volume, and if Tesla will make it a different option or model... they might just start shipping some new-battery Y's in a few months but same-range, same-price despite the details under the skin being different.

Tesla doesn't really do "model years" - changes are made whenever they're ready. They do sometimes roll out new options or configurations (such as the Model Y Performance). The two things on the horizon for ordering are the potential that the US government passes legislation to give Teslas a tax credit again - if that happens it would probably be for anything delivered on Jan 1 2022 or later. The other thing we're excited about is possible future 4680 battery packs and front-single-casting construction - we honestly have no clue when that'll come to the Model Y in any meaningful volume, and if Tesla will make it a different option or model... they might just start shipping some new-battery Y's in a few months but same-range, same-price despite the details under the skin being different.
This all makes sense and yeah, I’m aware of the upcoming possible credit and improvements to the Y. But car manufacturers release a “next year” model, so I was wondering when Tesla does that.

Organizing mine a little bit better, as I read and see that people have moving targets for EDD

Order Date: 9/25
Profile Completed Date: 9/27

EDD As of:

10/4: No EDD
10/8: No EDD

Model Y LR, White/Black, 5 seats, 19", no tow hitch

I'm wondering if I'd get my MY sooner if I actually flew out to pick it up at Freemont (or Austin, I guess). Any break from the Minnesota winter would be welcome, and having 2K miles to drive back home with the new car would be awesome. Indeed, if the date was moved forward to late December, it could rescue me from an Xmas/New Year trip to my wife's parents in Florida. :cool: I'm wondering, does anyone know if picking your car up in Fremont is a thing? I know it doesn't get rid of the delivery fee, but I would imagine it might mean the car would be available a couple of weeks earlier?

9/2 order date. White MYLR, 5 seater black interior and 19” wheels, no tow or FSD. As basic as it gets as I plan to add aftermarket wheels. No EDD still. I called and they said profile is complete and everything looks fine. It’s just annoying to see others getting EDDs even though I realize they don’t mean much this far out. I keep second guessing if I did something wrong. I guess they just don’t want to ship cars to Pennsylvania. I know I’m in for a wait but would be reassuring to see an EDD pop up.

Reactions: Tararua
Greetings Sept '21 MY LR (eventual) drivers.

OD: 9/8
EDD Dec 13-31 Dec (bumped up/changed from mid to late Jan '22).

Couple thoughts as I've been reading many threads/posts. It seems to me the tow option is adding additional EDDs; any 'extra' would add a new supply hurdle. I've seen some people express their disdain on their EDDs bouncing around. Since most of us are American's we expect 'right now'. I just sit back and remember, (I would say recall, but that's a bad pun in the auto world), the supply chain disruption in toilet paper, etc... during the initial COVID craze. Guess I'm attempting to stress the importance of the supply chain; a lot of people do not fully comprehend what it takes to get a roll of TP on any give shelf, let alone all the parts to assemble a very high-tech automobile. Many years ago most companies that make anything went from a large warehouse of parts on hand to a concept of 'just in time'. Added into the domestic supply chain is the global market, relying on overseas production/shipping, things are slowly returning to normal. I do see toilet paper pretty much 'in stock' now; we'll just have to wait it out for the chips (and dip;))

BTW, I spent 20+ years being 'laughed at' when asked what occupation I was in: Logistics. No, I'm not some 'big shot' doc or lawyer *itching about my wait. Just my humble opinion.

9/2 order date. White MYLR, 5 seater black interior and 19” wheels, no tow or FSD. As basic as it gets as I plan to add aftermarket wheels. No EDD still. I called and they said profile is complete and everything looks fine. It’s just annoying to see others getting EDDs even though I realize they don’t mean much this far out. I keep second guessing if I did something wrong. I guess they just don’t want to ship cars to Pennsylvania. I know I’m in for a wait but would be reassuring to see an EDD pop up.

Yeah, I felt that a a week ago, and actually getting my EDD yesterday was almost as deflating, being that it's mid-Feb to mid-March when others were being told late Dec to early Jan. Still, I guess there will be further changes to most dates, so who really knows. I hope you get your EDD soon.

Reactions: Horsemover
OD: 9/15.
EDD: Oct 28-Nov 17.

No major changes for a few weeks now. I am from Canada so perhaps the car is already en route from factory?
Wow! Lucky. I placed my order the day before you. Won’t get mine till end of quarter. I’m hoping before. They might push hard at the end of the quarter and I might be able to get it sooner. Fingers crossed. Hoping texas starts producing soon. I’m thinking that might change things, for the better.

I'm wondering if I'd get my MY sooner if I actually flew out to pick it up at Freemont (or Austin, I guess). Any break from the Minnesota winter would be welcome, and having 2K miles to drive back home with the new car would be awesome. Indeed, if the date was moved forward to late December, it could rescue me from an Xmas/New Year trip to my wife's parents in Florida. :cool: I'm wondering, does anyone know if picking your car up in Fremont is a thing? I know it doesn't get rid of the delivery fee, but I would imagine it might mean the car would be available a couple of weeks earlier?
I hear you about your trip to Florida:). Unfortunately picking up somewhere else is not going to make a difference. Those who live in CA benefit from out of turn, early deliveries at the end of the quarter. Tesla would not want unsold inventory showing up as unsold inventory in transit. So it does not waste a week shipping cars to East course. At the beginning of the quarter things come back to normal. Likewise the Shanghai factory feeds Europe in the new quarter but the last 3 weeks they make deliveries mainly in China. Sales is booked when cash is received and ownership is transferred.

Reactions: Tararua