Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequestering carbon by land restoration and reforestation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been raining on and of all day, but thankfully it was "off" after work. I picked up the last set of posts (a half load) and head out. Clouds hang over Esja.

DSC_0000_BURST20190906191050501.JPG

Horses are clustered right up to the railing of the bridge into my valley.

DSC_0001_BURST20190906192307087.JPG

I relatively quickly unload the posts at the last "depot":

DSC_BOK_20190906193421648.JPG

I head to the west (fjördward) side of the land and start carrying the timbers of the depot down into the canyon.

DSC_BOK_20190906194512855.JPG

It's slow and strenuous work, trying to keep balance on the slippery slopes while carrying stacks of poles... in and out of the canyon over and over. I pass many trees en route, all looking quite nice - like this mountain pine.

DSC_BOK_20190906194818818.JPG

Cattle in the distance start bellowing as they, for some inexplicable reason, engage in a mass migration to the south.

_20190906_214056.JPG

Finishing the posts, I need to get the heavy reel of fencing over. I lift it up to carry it over my shoulder.

DSC_BOK_20190906202012793.JPG

Up, up, up, and.... NOPE (drops)

DSC_BOK_20190906202059920.JPG

It's just too dang heavy. I can carry it in my arms, but that's exhausting. I end up moving it end-over-end, and wherever there's grassy slopes, rolling it down.

DSC_BOK_20190906202224867.JPG

That option disappears when I get to the rocky canyon slopes, as I don't want to roll it all the way down. This heavy reel could dislodge some quite sizeable rocks. Instead, I have to end-over-end it all the way down.

DSC_0476.JPG

Last edited:
I make my way down in front of the reel, to stop it from falling.

DSC_BOK_20190906202516185.JPG

Halfway down. The clouds descend over the mountains. The weather forecast for the weekend is... not good :(

DSC_BOK_20190906202659192 (1).JPG

I finally get down to the grass near the base of the canyon; I can roll the reel down the rest of the way.

DSC_BOK_20190906202947621 (1).JPG

It just keeps going and ends up in the river :Þ

I carry some posts over to near the existing fence, spacing them out as I go. I decide that, since they're 180cm, I just lay each subsequent post on the ground and flip it lengthwise once to measure out a bit over 3,6m, them move it a tad further and slam them into the ground.

I test inserting one into the ground; it stays upright. (I later decide that I don't like the positioning and move it slightly).

DSC_BOK_20190906203340636 (1).JPG

I head back to the river to fetch the reel. It barely got wet, thankfully :)

DSC_BOK_20190906203452839 (1).JPG

I rip off the label and pocket it, since I don't want that trash blowing around.

DSC_BOK_20190906203734857 (1).JPG

I appear to have dropped off the poles in too dense of a pattern; I carry some further upriver. I'll probably have to do this several times.

DSC_BOK_20190906204411542 (1).JPG

It's getting too dark to do much more (so little time in the evenings these days! :( ). But, I've placed perhaps a third of the poles in the ground. They'd probably blow over in even a strong breeze, but at least they're in the right spot :)

DSC_BOK_20190906205018349.JPG

--------------

So, here's the forecast for tomorrow...

upload_2019-9-6_22-33-44.png

It might get better by the evening... or not. Sunday's not great either. But... I'm hopeful for gaps to get out there. I still have 10 trees left to plant, the ones I had saved for a friend who ended up not having time to make it out. Thankfully they need to go in the same place where I'm starting work on the fence. :)

I also have taken Monday off, for the Tesla opening. Weather looks a bit better than Sunday perhaps. I'll try to stop by Lífland on Monday; I realized that I should probably get some of the smaller 300kr ($2,38) posts for the "pole + two wire loops" gates that you guys recommended earlier in the thread. Maybe 15 gates - one every ten posts segments / ~40m?

So Pence and not meeting alone with one woman - Many organizations realize the risk and 'look' to meeting that way and have rules against it. Even Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts in the US at least. I appreciate his approach to this issue given what is going on elsewhere in our country and the world.

I'm glad(?) to hear that we're in she same boat concerning dumb things done to us by our elected officials.

Are those posts treated so they won't rot? Here we must use treated lumber if we expect it to last buried in the ground more than 5 years or so. Can you buy a slingshot or wrist rocket?

https://www.amazon.com/ZHU-YU-CHUN-...ocphy=1026385&hvtargid=pla-644868939969&psc=1

Buffalo Corporation Bfowrss Wrist Rocket Sling Shot With Heavy Duty Launchi for sale online | eBay

Rent a sheep hating dog?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
So Pence and not meeting alone with one woman - Many organizations realize the risk and 'look' to meeting that way and have rules against it. Even Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts in the US at least. I appreciate his approach to this issue given what is going on elsewhere in our country and the world.

I'm glad(?) to hear that we're in she same boat concerning dumb things done to us by our elected officials.

Are those posts treated so they won't rot? Here we must use treated lumber if we expect it to last buried in the ground more than 5 years or so. Can you buy a slingshot or wrist rocket?

https://www.amazon.com/ZHU-YU-CHUN-...ocphy=1026385&hvtargid=pla-644868939969&psc=1

Buffalo Corporation Bfowrss Wrist Rocket Sling Shot With Heavy Duty Launchi for sale online | eBay

Rent a sheep hating dog?

Yes, I made sure they're treated :) They actually had a label indicating the treatment process and company on some of the posts.

I plan to acquire an Icelandic sheepdog (like the one that randomly decided to follow me around that one day) at some point :). Unfortunately, it's not practical until I'm living on the land. I can't just abandon it out there (esp. since I can't make it out every day), but if its not out there, it wouldn't be protecting the land. But yes, that's on my "future plans" list! :)

One of the nice thing about Icelandic sheepdogs is that they're independent. Most sheep dogs, like border collies, are bred and trained to herd via following commands from the shepherd. Icelandic sheepdogs however are bred and trained to run out and herd on their own, without needing commands from a shepherd.

I also have taken Monday off, for the Tesla opening. Weather looks a bit better than Sunday perhaps. I'll try to stop by Lífland on Monday; I realized that I should probably get some of the smaller 300kr ($2,38) posts for the "pole + two wire loops" gates that you guys recommended earlier in the thread. Maybe 15 gates - one every ten posts segments / ~40m?
We hope the weather is unbad, especially Monday. (Happy Tesla day! :D )

Do you need gaps so close? I guess it would make it easier to relocate any future "interlopers", but it also means more work and maybe a somewhat less sturdy fence? It's not as if the traffic will be so bad you need roundabouts and bus lanes ... or Autobahns :cool:

Let us know when you need more funds.

We hope the weather is unbad, especially Monday. (Happy Tesla day! :D )

Do you need gaps so close? I guess it would make it easier to relocate any future "interlopers", but it also means more work and maybe a somewhat less sturdy fence? It's not as if the traffic will be so bad you need roundabouts and bus lanes ... or Autobahns :cool:

Let us know when you need more funds.

I was just thinking of ease of getting down to the river, how far I have to go out of my way every time (particularly if I'm carrying things). You feel it's too close?

I'd have to add it up again, but I'm nearly out, so I think that after adding some small posts and a reel of galvanized wire to make the loops, I should be around zero. I'll redo the math after the purchases. So nothing left for fall purchases (got an offer from Kjarr for ~85kr/tree... which is more expensive than the ~60kr/tree I got from Flóra, but then again, Kjarr's were in great quality while Flóra's were full of pests). They also offered larger seedlings - 40-80cm - for 200kr/tree. The total for both batches would be 50000kr (30000+20000) ($400 total)

Oh yeah, speaking of that! I stopped at Gróðurvörur the other day to get the imidacloprid. But they didn't have it (I have no idea where I thought I saw it). But to make things worse, I found out why you only find this tiny handful of pesticides available in stores: everything else requires a license. There literally is no product on the market that you can buy here to treat grubs without a license. Aaaargh :Þ

I see four options really.
  • Wait to see which pots look healthy overwinter, while which ones don't, and dig through the unhealthy ones looking for pests
  • Bare-root every single tree that I transplanted (and those that I didn't) and repot them all after re-sterilizing their soil in the oven.
  • Attempt to off-label treatment with the locally available pesticides by heavily overdosing the soil.
  • *cough* "Oh, how did that container of grub killer get into my suitcase while visiting the US for Christmas? So strange!" *cough* ;)
I can (in addition to any of the above) - and probably will - also wait until plants seem reasonably well reestablished indoors, and then subject them to repeated droughts - trying to strike a balance between killing grubs / worms but not the trees. But there's somewhat of a delicate line to walk there.

Last edited:
I was just thinking of ease of getting down to the river, how far I have to go out of my way every time (particularly if I'm carrying things). You feel it's too close?

I'd have to add it up again, but I'm nearly out, so I think that after adding some small posts and a reel of galvanized wire to make the loops, I should be around zero. I'll redo the math after the purchases. So nothing left for fall purchases (got an offer from Kjarr for ~85kr/tree... which is more expensive than the ~60kr/tree I got from Flóra, but then again, Kjarr's were in great quality while Flóra's were full of pests). They also offered larger seedlings - 40-80cm - for 200kr/tree. The total for both batches would be 50000kr (30000+20000) ($400 total)

Oh yeah, speaking of that! I stopped at Gróðurvörur the other day to get the imidacloprid. But they didn't have it (I have no idea where I thought I saw it). But to make things worse, I found out why you only find this tiny handful of pesticides available in stores: everything else requires a license. There literally is no product on the market that you can buy here to treat grubs without a license. Aaaargh :Þ

I see four options really.
  • Wait to see which pots look healthy overwinter, while which ones don't, and dig through the unhealthy ones looking for pests
  • Bare-root every single tree that I transplanted (and those that I didn't) and repot them all after re-sterilizing their soil in the oven.
  • Attempt to off-label treatment with the locally available pesticides by heavily overdosing the soil.
  • *cough* "Oh, how did that container of grub killer get into my suitcase while visiting the US for Christmas? So strange!" *cough* ;)
I can (in addition to any of the above) - and probably will - also wait until plants seem reasonably well reestablished indoors, and then subject them to repeated droughts - trying to strike a balance between killing grubs / worms but not the trees. But there's somewhat of a delicate line to walk there.
Oh, I didn't realise that you were going to traverse the fence so frequently. In that case, by all means put gates wherever needed, of course!

I just sent an additional small amount via Paypal. You might need cash for the next car too, right? :) Pity to dig into that for a few plants etc.

LOL - nobody has any obligation to donate at all. You've all been so incredibly generous and allowed me to accomplish so much this summer. :) Plus some trees in various states of growth / healing to go out next year or the year after that.
Oh, it's a pleasure to make you sweat and swear! :p

Edit: But plese be careful, don't break a leg or such! :eek:

Last edited:
Oh, it's a pleasure to make you sweat and swear! :p

Edit: But plese be careful, don't break a leg or such! :eek:

Or since I'll be working with a sledgehammer extensively soon, crush some fingers? ;)

The rain has been driving me crazy today... I'm so itching to get back out. Tomorrow's forecast is scattered showers. Any possible break I see, I'm going for it!

Or since I'll be working with a sledgehammer extensively soon, crush some fingers? ;)

The rain has been driving me crazy today... I'm so itching to get back out. Tomorrow's forecast is scattered showers. Any possible break I see, I'm going for it!
How about 20 cm of steel pipe, threaded with a cap, the smallest diameter that will fit the largest-diameter post? Would prevent (or limit) splitting and maybe make a better target for the maul.

How about 20 cm of steel pipe, threaded with a cap, the smallest diameter that will fit the largest-diameter post? Would prevent (or limit) splitting and maybe make a better target for the maul.

If splintering turns out to be particularly bad on these posts, I'll look into that. Not sure where I could get a really wide pipe with a steel cap... maybe Ferrozink...

(IMHO, the pipe would need to be an almost perfect fit around the post in order to not wobble and deflect blows. Also, hammering on a steel cap would be really loud ;) )

Also: I'm thinking about doing some diagonal braces (perpendicular to the fence) every N posts. Does this sound like a good idea? I was thinking maybe alternating the direction of the braces - e.g. south / north / south / north. And maybe attaching them with a combination of a long nail through the two of them, and galvanized wire through slots in the posts to tie them together (I'd have to bring my reciprocating saw regardless (to make the end of the diagonal post fit up against the vertical post), so making slots for wire bindings would be no effort).

Yes, no?

I can always come back and add braces later, but it'd be a little bit easier to do them during the initial construction.

Then again, this could be overthinking things. The fence doesn't need to be perfect and immortal; I could always just come back and fix things at some later date if it ever ends up leaning too much...

Last edited:
Reactions: Duffer
If splintering turns out to be particularly bad on these posts, I'll look into that. Not sure where I could get a really wide pipe with a steel cap... maybe Ferrozink...

(IMHO, the pipe would need to be an almost perfect fit around the post in order to not wobble and deflect blows. Also, hammering on a steel cap would be really loud ;) )

Also: I'm thinking about doing some diagonal braces (perpendicular to the fence) every N posts. Does this sound like a good idea? I was thinking maybe alternating the direction of the braces - e.g. south / north / south / north. And maybe attaching them with a combination of a long nail through the two of them and galvanized wire through a slot in the posts tying them together (I'd have to bring my reciprocating saw regardless in order to make the end of the diagonal post fit up against the vertical post, so making slots for wire would be no effort).

Yes, no?
Seems reasonable. As always, the Internet is full of good advice.

That may even make things worse: steel on steel can produce evil splints flying about, AIUI. Assuming your Thor sledge is steel. Better to spint the wood. Wear eye protection anyway.

Put no fingers in between, please! Some other damping material, maybe.

In the military, when driving steel grounding spits into the ground, we had to put a heavy "cap" on top of the spit, made of zinc or suchlike softer metal, before applying the sledgehammer. Protected both the spit and our eyes.

Also: I'm thinking about doing some diagonal braces (perpendicular to the fence) every N posts. Does this sound like a good idea? I was thinking maybe alternating the direction of the braces - e.g. south / north / south / north. And maybe attaching them with a combination of a long nail through the two of them, and galvanized wire through slots in the posts to tie them together (I'd have to bring my reciprocating saw regardless (to make the end of the diagonal post fit up against the vertical post), so making slots for wire bindings would be no effort).

Yes, no?

I can always come back and add braces later, but it'd be a little bit easier to do them during the initial construction.

Then again, this could be overthinking things. The fence doesn't need to be perfect and immortal; I could always just come back and fix things at some later date if it ever ends up leaning too much...
Yes, bracing would be a good idea, especially for a long fence going in one direction only. Garden fences often have a corner here and there, just to take up sideway forces.

Why not put those braces where the gates go? Those posts will take some wear.

And remember to put up strong East and West Poles! :D

• Helpful
Reactions: Duffer and KarenRei