Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequestering carbon by land restoration and reforestation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Diagonals on the posts on each side of each gate to hold the tension of the fence.
I thought you would be using barbed wire. Does it not work on sheep?
Just to pick up the slack on this line (so to speak), it seems to my untrained eye that it could be good to put TWO diagonals, at an angle, on the gate posts. This would add sideways rigor as well as keep up tension. Without them, the post will sag when the gate is open, and the fence is no worse for having perpendicular support. IMHO. But more work, to be sure.

Do ponder this while weather keeps you in house. (BTW, we have some pretty fierce winds here now though less than storm, and Spain has been hit hard with flooding and hard winds too.) Here's hoping you'all have power, internet, clean water, bird seed and other life necessities :)

Just to pick up the slack on this line (so to speak), it seems to my untrained eye that it could be good to put TWO diagonals, at an angle, on the gate posts. This would add sideways rigor as well as keep up tension. Without them, the post will sag when the gate is open, and the fence is no worse for having perpendicular support. IMHO. But more work, to be sure.

Do ponder this while weather keeps you in house. (BTW, we have some pretty fierce winds here now though less than storm, and Spain has been hit hard with flooding and hard winds too.) Here's hoping you'all have power, internet, clean water, bird seed and other life necessities :)

I'll have a good bit of pondering time, as I've settled on trying to drive all of the verticals first, then seeing how many (if any) I have left over for diagonals to decide what to put where :)

So.... a miracle - I got an open weather window! It was quite windy during the day (despite lovely clear skies), and tomorrow's storm moves in a couple hours from now, but we got a (somewhat) calm before the storm - so I took it!

DSC_0001_BURST20190913182452345.JPG

There's no snow on Esja, but on the mountains across the fjörd, there's a light dusting near the summits.

DSC_0008_BURST20190913183611073.JPG

I first check for interlopers. None on my land, but a couple tiny dots are on the opposite slope of the river. :Þ In theory they should all be disappearing this weekend, but it's possible that the storm will delay the roundup some.

DSC_0001_BURST20190913184045573.JPG

I drop off the gate posts at scattered places along the road, the I take out the post pounder. Man this thing is big.

DSC_BOK_20190913185235098.JPG

I carry it down into the canyon and, after setting up some posts, I place it over the top.

DSC_BOK_20190913190434154.JPG

I start lifting it up and dropping / pushing it back down. It's just BANG! BANG! BANG! It's actually hurting my ears; I'll try to remember to bring earplugs next time. Soon the post is all the way down.

DSC_BOK_20190913190617287.JPG

My thoughts? Apart from the noise, I love this thing!!! No, it doesn't reduce the amount of work per blow vs. the sledgehammer. But the posts go in faster, with fewer complications, no blistering on my hands or accidentally risking smashing fingers, and it leave the tops of the posts looking pristine. And the more posts I do, the better I get with it. A couple early posts end up kind of slanted (downside to the tool: you can't really see the angle of the post well), but I learn that I can get the posts in faster and straighter by making quick, short blows with the tool until the posts are most of the way down, and then switching to big, full-force blows or the rest.

I position this post so it doubles as a windbreak for this previously planted mountain pine ;)

DSC_BOK_20190913191740130.JPG

I run out of posts:

DSC_BOK_20190913192422941.JPG

I head back up to get some from the second stack. The sun makes it clear that I'm not going to have too much time left. :(

DSC_BOK_20190913192937593.JPG

Down into the canyon with three posts, back up. Down with three posts, back up. Down with three posts, back up.

DSC_0519.JPG

Last edited:
The blueberry plants have taken on their lovely fall colours.

DSC_0520.JPG

I walk along the river placing the nine posts I brought down (I figured I wasn't going to have time for any more than that).

DSC_0521.JPG

The last one is close to the Willow Cliff, so I decide to check on the oak there. To my surprise, its leaves largely still haven't changed colour. It surely doesn't have much time left, however. And regardless, soon enough its leaves won't be of much use, as the sun will increasingly be too low to shine into the canyon here.

DSC_0524.JPG

I pound in the nine posts. While it's "good cardio", I'm just amazed at how fast I can get through them with this tool; it took longer to carry the posts down into the canyon and place them than to drive them in! :)

DSC_BOK_20190913201534103.JPG

I start heading back up.

DSC_BOK_20190913201730692.JPG

DSC_BOK_20190913201933894.JPG

-------

So, tomorrow's not looking great :Þ There's a chance however that I might get a gap in the evening. If I do, it won't be long before sunset :Þ Sunday also isn't looking great. Monday and Tuesday have reasonable chances, but I'll be working during the day.

It's also getting colder. I expect to see snow in the mountains, and *possibly* in some lower-altitude areas. Altitude matters a lot in terms of how long of a "winter" you have - and since the Ring Road at multiple places goes half a kilometer up, these passes can get wintery weather for around half the year. There's a reason I ordered an AWD, and it's not for the acceleration ;)

yay for good tools!

Yup always best to have the right tool. It should last for generations too.
Yeah, that thing is a beast. I think you'd have to deliberately try to damage it ;)

So, if written off over say 50 years, not so expensive after all? :)
(On the other hand, if written off per pole piled, still a bit of a costly item! :eek: )
((But on the ... wait ... next hand, taking account of avoided injuries and loss of said limbs, still still not too dear, dear? :cool: ))
(((From a strictly birds' eye view ... :p )))

(On the other hand, if written off per pole piled, still a bit of a costly item! :eek: )
((But on the ... wait ... next hand, taking account of avoided injuries and loss of said limbs, still still not too dear, dear? :cool: ))
(a) it's called "the Gripping hand" from Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's "The Mote in God's Eye".
(b) I didn't know you also programmed in LISP :)

• Funny
Reactions: KarenRei

(a) it's called "the Gripping hand" from Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's "The Mote in God's Eye".
(b) I didn't know you also programmed in LISP :)
Wow, thankss for telling me! I alwayss thought is wass an impediment. :p

Last edited:
So, the weather forecast held true - we got a gap between storms! It's also supposed to be open tomorrow, but then get stormy for some unknown, probably long, length of time again starting Wednesday. While it was still a bit stormy in the morning (I went early so I could head out an hour early), by the time I went out it was rather nice.

Snow dusting the eastern part of Esja's range.

DSC_0000_BURST20190916171617107.JPG

Geese fattening up in the hay-harvested farmers' fields for the fall. They'll be needing that energy soon enough for the migration south.

DSC_0000_BURST20190916172224246.JPG

Looking into Blikdalur. The snow for some reason didn't seem to have just an altitude cutoff, but also a distance-from-the-sea cutoff, with the more inland places being snowier. I'm not sure why.

DSC_0001_BURST20190916172659715.JPG

The tops of the mountains across the fjörd are quite snowed over.

DSC_0000_BURST20190916172952703.JPG

Wow - for the first time since spring, the creek in my ravine actually runs along its entire length, coming across under the road and on down! It however doesn't get meaningfully bigger as it descends like it normally does (due to groundwater seeps), as the water table is still very low.

DSC_0525.JPG

DSC_0526.JPG

Most of my evening is the endless up and down trips hauling posts... pretty tiring. At least the weather is lovely! Not even cold.

DSC_BOK_20190916181551931.JPG

The largest willow on the willow cliffs.

DSC_BOK_20190916175158702.JPG

I find a small wave of sheep damage - exclusively on five lodgepole pine trees, each just top-clipped and uprooted. This location is where I found the sheep the last time I had to chase them off my land. Thankfully, it's been so wet that the trees show no signs of wilting (although obviously their roots have been disturbed).

DSC_0527.JPG

I don't have my planter tool... but I do have posts to dig holes! ;)

DSC_BOK_20190916183255879.JPG

Last edited:
Tree #2

DSC_BOK_20190916184004937.JPG

Back in you go, like all the others!

DSC_0001_BURST20190916184207197.JPG

Tree #3

DSC_0000_BURST20190916184253135.JPG

Tree #4

DSC_BOK_20190916184625920.JPG

This one came with a free slug on its roots :Þ

DSC_0530.JPG

And tree #5:

DSC_BOK_20190916184958679.JPG

Scour as I might, I can't find any more in the area. Weird that they only picked on the pines - maybe the willows and birch were too well hidden in the grass for them, or they just didn't stray that far. I have this mental image in my mind of a sheep coming along, looking at a pine and thinking "Oooh, tasty!", taking one bite of the top as it rips it out, spitting the tree out thinking, "Ugh, gross!", then spotting a different one and thinking, "Oooh, tasty!", five separate times ;)

Needless to say, they didn't mess with the spruce. This sitka spruce, nearly the height of my knee, is right next to a pile of sheep droppings.

DSC_0532.JPG

I finally finish hauling all of the posts down (now three of the seven piles of posts are down, excepting the metal posts, and I'm not carrying the barbed wire and fencing down yet). Here's a few of the random posts that got tossed down.

DSC_BOK_20190916191612674.JPG

Some ended up in mires, and this one nearly ended up floating away in the river.

DSC_BOK_20190916193133968.JPG

I measure out and place maybe 15 of them (I don't have time to do more).

DSC_BOK_20190916193511978.JPG

Last edited:
There's some little rust spots on the post pounder already. But that's too be expected, as it's been sitting out and of course the powder coat is going to get banged up a bit as it gets set on rocks and the like.

DSC_0533.JPG

The swampy area at the base of the willow cliffs is a pain; it's a swamp underlain by large rocks, so if I can even get posts in at all, they often get tilted to diagonals as they try to pass between rocks - and if they don't hit rocks, they're in loose mud. At this particular location I resorted to adding a "middle" pole (double-density spacing) in the middle of the mire; at least that'll let me bring the fence down to water-level.

DSC_BOK_20190916195112997.JPG

I take a bit of a breather at the second-to-last post I placed. Accidentally got my shoe a bit wet here (everything's wet :Þ), but not too badly.

DSC_BOK_20190916200030399.JPG

Finished up here. Next up I'll be moving into the "potential landslide swamp" west (seaward) of the ravine. Based on my recent experience with swamps, I'm thinking that if I want the fence to be properly strong, I should probably increase the density through that part.

But that's for tomorrow :)

DSC_BOK_20190916200454317.JPG

------------------

Come on weather forecast for tomorrow, don't let me down! :) Wednesday, on the other hand...

190916_1800_049.gif

And it's not forecast to get better until maybe Sunday :( But maybe I'll get a break in there....