Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequestering carbon by land restoration and reforestation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DSC_BOK_20190722223122300b.JPG

I love animals. I feel bad when I hurt a worm when planting and try to "rescue" them. Earlier this year I stopped to pick up a sea gull that was badly injured on the road, moved it to a safe place so it wouldn't get hit by another car, and made it a blanket out of moss to keep it warm and hide it from predators until it could move again. I'm a vegetarian because I don't want to personally contribute to the needless slaughter of higher animals. But these helvítis fokking sheep... I would throw a party if their entire species vanished from the planet tomorrow. I wish them nothing but my blazing spite toward them, and put them in the same category as botflies and liver flukes.

A few years ago, I "helped" the neighbor from the sidelines with delivering a breech birth lamb. We thought it was stillborn at first, but it eventually recovered. He named it after me, and told me that it would only be used for breeding, not sent to slaughter. I was so happy with it. Today I wish it had been stillborn. I hope it's dead.

I dropped all thoughts of immediately resuming planting. Half a kilometer away I knew that there was a spool of barbed wire, and I'll be damned if I was going to leave at least *this* fence gap open overnight. There is some controversy with barbed wire, of course. Supporters claim that it's simply the best tool for the job, while opponents say you can make a fence just as effective without the barbs, and barbed wire risks entangling and cutting up livestock like sheep (electric fences don't work because the damned things' wool is too insulative :Þ). The barbed wire I had was just sitting around when I bought the land - I never used it, not wanting to risk hurting an animal. Well, screw that.

DSC_BOK_20190722224329494b.JPG

DSC_BOK_20190722224605656b.JPG

DSC_BOK_20190722224621742b.JPG

Dragged the stuff back half a kilometer with my non-gloved hands (finally started taking decent pictures again... sometimes).

DSC_9746b.JPG

DSC_BOK_20190722224849348b.JPG
DSC_BOK_20190722225341919b.JPG

I was not in work clothes. I was actually in a shirt that's very dear to me. My aunt died young, in her 40s, of leukemia. It was very sudden, and honestly, I never really got over it. Of all my aunts and uncles, I had always felt closest to her. In a way, I think it's because, of all the people in my family, she was the most like me. And then she was gone. There was this big rush for time when going through my aunt's things, I was given almost no time at all... but among the things I picked out was this shirt which she used to wear. And I wear it regularly, to remind me of her. And of course, now I'm sure it has puncture holes in it because of the barbed wire that I'm now going to need to fix. And I knew that would happen, because it's freaking barbed wire, that's what it does. But so be it. I wasn't going to let this hole in the fence exist.

DSC_BOK_20190722230405620b.JPG

I really couldn't have cared less about cutting myself up.

DSC_9751b.JPG

Just lick it clean and continue. Worry about tetanus later.

DSC_BOK_20190722231001423b.JPG

Last edited:
Done. And if a sheep tries to get in and gets cut.... good. Maybe it'll finally learn its lesson, and any others listening to its bleating will also get the picture once and for all.

(I'm sorry... I know I'm not in a good mental place right now, after losing those trees :( I may regret thinking like this tomorrow )

Late. Still lots of trees to plant. I rush through them. Getting dirt on my fresh wounds, so hey, add possible soilborne pathogen to the list of possible diseases.

DSC_BOK_20190722231130366b.JPG

_20190723_004118b.JPG

Done. Heading home.

DSC_BOK_20190722235013890b.JPG

DSC_BOK_20190722235314895b.JPG

I get back into town at 12:30. Now I write this. It's 3:45 AM because for some reason the pictures don't want to upload. My alarm for work is set for 6:45 AM. But things are what they are. ... :(

I planned to do clover tomorrow. But assuming that I can actually keep myself awake, I'm going to be focused purely on improving the fencing. Even if things are just temporary measures.... temporary measures are better than no measures. No way I can block river crossings, but I can take care of everything else.

(breathes.... reminds self of forgiveness and patience... even when dealing with the woolly minions of Satan himself.)

Done. And if a sheep tries to get in and gets cut.... good. Maybe it'll finally learn its lesson, and any others listening to its bleating will also get the picture once and for all.

(I'm sorry... I know I'm not in a good mental place right now, after losing those trees :( I may regret thinking like this tomorrow )

Late. Still lots of trees to plant. I rush through them. Getting dirt on my fresh wounds, so hey, add possible soilborne pathogen to the list of possible diseases.

View attachment 433078

View attachment 433079

Done. Heading home.

View attachment 433080

View attachment 433081

I get back into town at 12:30. Now I write this. It's 3:45 AM because for some reason the pictures don't want to upload. My alarm for work is set for 6:45 AM. But things are what they are. ... :(

I planned to do clover tomorrow. But assuming that I can actually keep myself awake, I'm going to be focused purely on improving the fencing. Even if things are just temporary measures.... temporary measures are better than no measures. No way I can block river crossings, but I can take care of everything else.

(breathes.... reminds self of forgiveness and patience... even when dealing with the woolly minions of Satan himself.)
I'm sorry about your setback.

I keep wondering why you don't use gloves. I used leather gloves until this year when I switched to cotton gloves when working outside. They provide less protection but there's more feel for what I'm doing.

Your plan to direct your immediate effort toward the fence sounds good.

My area has lots of deer and young trees are their favorite food. When I plant trees I usually put stakes around them and put chicken wire around the stakes, but this would be impractical for your effort. Some people in this area plant orchards, and they surround them with an eight foot high fence to keep out the deer.

You're a strong person and you'll work your way through this.

Reactions: KJD
I'm so sorry your work was mitigated by the sheep. You're strong and your cause is rightious, this will pass.

Barbed wire is a good deterrant from sheep just pushing through fenses. If one gets caught... well, doesn't Odin like sacrifices? xD And hey, it could be added nutriants to the soil!

*don't actually kill one of your neighbore's sheep, there's probably legal ramifications for that.

Heard some sheep during a cycling trip yesterday. Couldn’t stop thinking they don’t sound that bad as you told in a post. After reading your more recent posts I’m starting to doubt… Thinking maybe i’m going to observe some sheep tonight, just for fun.

I do think it’s completely natural to encounter some setbacks. There usually seems to be something that resists change. Guess that’s because if all circumstances are there for something to be, then it would be there already or on it’s way to become that (and you wouldn’t feel the need to change the environment and just let it be). Apparently it isn’t so you decide to divert resources and energy to a desired outcome. And those things that prevent it from happening start to push back. For whatever it’s worth, I think you are on the right track. Just keep caring and keep following the best route you see. And please take your rest too!

On a more ironic note, I do hope you did tell the sheep at least once they are not welcome at your place. It worked with me with a mouse once. Didn’t encounter any mice in my place since that moment in time :) Guess sheep might be a different story, but it might be fair to give them some warning not to stand in the way of your dream.

Ever thought about camping on your place ? Just to tell the sheep things change :) (Maybe that thought just comes up in my mind because, weather permitting, I've to pitch my tent in a forest without sheep coming weekend).

Fence day. :) Can I finish it all in one evening? Find out below the fold! ;)

Stopping by Bauhaus - I'm really rushing because they're just about closed.

DSC_BOK_20190723190339824.JPG

Where are those fence posts?
DSC_0002_BURST20190723183853829.JPG

I've never done it before, but since nothing else has worked, I'm going to try anchoring the fence posts on the east side with concrete. It will be a real pain because the ground is jam-packed with large rocks there, so it'll take ages to dig. On the upside, the ground there is exceedingly wet, so I should be able to get away with the lazy method where you just pour the dry mix into the hole and let it wick in water from the ground.

DSC_BOK_20190723184618262.JPG

Gear bought! Two regular wooden fence posts, four shorter, narrow steel posts (can't think of anything that should be easier to drive into a boulder field), four bags of concrete for fence posts, and a package of barbed wire. Probably shouldn't have gotten the barbed wire - it was half the bill, and when I got to my land, I was to discover two additional reels of barbed wire already there. But I have no doubt that with all of the fencing and repair projects to come, it'll eventually all get used. :)

DSC_BOK_20190723193501483.JPG

CUUUUUUUUTE! :) The last chick I saw was a spói (whimbrel), but this is a hrossagaukur (snipe). A mother was crossing the road with two chicks when my car approached, and one chick accidentally got left behind when she ran off. It was calling to her, though, so I'm sure she'll come back :)

DSC_BOK_20190723193234665.JPG

I know I've got some leftover fence netting hanging off the edge of a fence I built on the west side (near the waterfall), so I head down there to get it. The area near the river has comparatively fertile soil, yet no trees grow there - something I never really questioned until recently - more on that in a bit ;)

DSC_BOK_20190723194248900.JPG

Down by the waterfall.

DSC_BOK_20190723194252519.JPG

The river, Miðdalsá. Supposedly there's brown trout in there, but I've never seen them.

DSC_BOK_20190723194510599.JPG

DSC_BOK_20190723194523336.JPG

Let's start cutting that extra netting off. Man this wire is tough - you really have to hurt your hands to get it to cut through. The netting has gotten overgrown and partly buried in the ground. It's covered in transported plant debris, but only up to a specific height - something I never questioned until recently (more on that in a bit ;) ).

DSC_0000_BURST20190723194633672.JPG

Last edited:
Well, that bottom wire is underground. :Þ Let's cut it...

DSC_BOK_20190723194923282.JPG

It's still not coming. Wait, there's another wire, further down? Ugh, okay, cut it too...

DSC_0000_BURST20190723195459948.JPG

This process happened two more times... finally I got it out. Amazing how deeply it had gotten buried This seems to happen to things by the river, something I never really questioned until recently (more on that in a bit ;) ).

DSC_0000_BURST20190723195337788.JPG

A problem with the fence on the slope itself is that the ground is really uneven, which makes big gaps under the fence. This means it's rock collection time.

DSC_BOK_20190723195917367 (1).JPG

Need to pick up the heaviest ones I can lift (which aren't currently anchoring the slope... rather, rockfall that got into the walking path by the river) and fill those gaps / anchor down the fence.

DSC_0000_BURST20190723200043091.JPG

Stacking up near the bottom (the larger gaps further up on the steeper slopes will take more time)

DSC_BOK_20190723200916880.JPG

I can't fully fix the fence down here now because I'm going to need tools, barbed wire, and a fence post (I just came to fetch the fence netting). So back up we go. Next target: the culvert. I got a rough closure yesterday, but I need to make it more secure and permanent. Cutting off a chunk of net.

DSC_BOK_20190723204543110.JPG

Binding wires together.

DSC_9752.JPG

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

DSC_9753.JPG

There was some more fence damage nearby, so let's fix that too.

DSC_9754.JPG

Last edited:
Spói watching in the distance:

_20190724_011945.JPG

The temporary gate. It used to be better, but it's become "degraded" by repeated sheep attacks and repeatedly patched up with hacks. Seriously, the wooden scrap on the left is simply propped up with a rock. The fence netting on the right is pretty bad too.

DSC_BOK_20190723212431109.JPG

Let's grab my Rusty Bucket O' Tools from the shed. There we go. Why, what have we here....?

YOU HAVE BEEN DEEMED WORTHY!

DSC_BOK_20190723214821590.JPG

.... BY SOME VERSION OF THOR'S HAMMER THAT'S REALLY LET ITSELF GO!

Of course, I just use that for driving in posts and the like. For connecting wires, an even uglier hammer is used.

DSC_BOK_20190723215104940.JPG

Mesh attached on both sides, folded in half... Some rocks to weigh down the bottom... Now I can just lace it the temporary fence shut like so :)

DSC_BOK_20190723220122625.JPG

Back down to the western (waterfall) side to take care of that unfinished fence repair. I hadn't planned on having to fix anything down here, but the more I see, the more work I see. I drive a fence post in to replace one broken near the river (my, things break near the river often... more on that in a bit ;) ), the fence is really subducted into the ground there, and there's lots of "sheep holes" in the fence, particularly on the uneven terrain. In many places I have to string barbed top wires... in other places barbed bottom wires.... more rocks to move, more things to bind together.... it just goes on and on:

DSC_BOK_20190723222721795.JPG

The sun sets in the mountains. Meanwhile, I'm searching for my galvanized wire that I lost in the grass, for 15 minutes. It's clear I'm not going to get to the east side tonight.

DSC_0000_BURST20190723224829514.JPG

The peaceful Miðdalsá... the middle of the river usually knee high or a bit more, rarely more than waist high.

DSC_BOK_20190723234957546.JPG

So about that river. You've probably put two and two together, but it took me years of owning the land to get the picture. In my first year I planted several reasonably-large trees by the river - the only reasonably large trees I had ever planted here. They were only moderately hardy, and I figured the best shelter from the wind would be at the bottom of the canyon - plus, the river banks have such good soil. I gave some of them some simple windbreaks made from wooden pallets, and that was that.

Next year I came back down. Most were dead, or at least unhealthy. The trees were bent down at 70-80 degree angles, and covered in debris. Crazy. I never would have guessed the wind would be that strong down here. But I rebuilt, making super-well-anchored windbreaks and lashing the trees to them. Took a long time, but, there, that should do it.

Next year I came down, and again, everything was knocked down. My god, I thought, what is up with the winds down here? And I thought they were bad on the top, where Cat. 5 gusts once tossed around my heavily-loaded steel shipping container like a toy!

It wasn't until this year when it all clicked. Flat banks of good soil, but no trees. Heavy debris deposition, but only up to a specific height. Crush-anything powers. Um, it's not the wind.... clearly this river floods. ;) The problem for me was, like for early 20th century scientists, they had never seen a large meteor impact the Earth, so it was hard to believe that large meteors still impact the planet. I had never seen this river flood, so it was hard to picture it flooding. I should try to catch it in the act during the spring melt, but I'm now 95% sure that it's water, not wind, that has the most profound effect at the bottom of this canyon.

Anyway, I didn't get out of there until 12:30 AM, and there's still plenty more to do. There was just more work that I planned on. But hey, I'm off work for the next two days!

Today's fencing bill: $148.

DSC_9758.JPG

You’re probably not ‘most people’; Most people will be less likely to invest in reducing their use of fools fuel if they just planted 100 trees. Sad but true....

Bring rain on someone else's parade much? All you have done is repeated criticism. Keep on drinking from your plastic straws because not enough of the rest of us will have an impact. I hope humanity is not that callous and unappreciative.

Reactions: KarenRei
Reading into sheep territory and had to read the last sentence at least twice.

" Sheep are actually surprisingly intelligent, with impressive memory and recognition skills. They build friendships, stick up for one another in fights, and feel sad when their friends are sent to slaughter. They are also one of the most destructive creatures on the planet."

Sheep are not stupid, and they are not helpless either

" Sheep are actually surprisingly intelligent, with impressive memory and recognition skills. They build friendships, stick up for one another in fights, and feel sad when their friends are sent to slaughter. They are also one of the most destructive creatures on the planet."

Agree with every word of that! :)

Reactions: guidooo
Bring rain on someone else's parade much? All you have done is repeated criticism. Keep on drinking from your plastic straws because not enough of the rest of us will have an impact. I hope humanity is not that callous and unappreciative.

I've installed >100kW of solar (equivalent to ~20 acres of fire-proof immortal trees that never need water....) and haven't burned a drop of fools fuel in >6 years..... I'd say that's a small impact or at least not making things worse.

The point is that if planting a few trees help people justify keeping a more harmful addiction to fools fuel instead of completing the more difficult process of kicking the habit it can easily be counter-productive. That's it.... that's the point. Not really my point.... just the point of psychologists that study these things for a living...... Not trying to 'rain on any parades' just providing information from the experts.....

Please continue planting trees.... just not at the expense of using less fools fuel.

You could substitute "homo sapiens" for "sheep."

Reactions: Duffer and guidooo
Woke up with a terrible headache and got a late start (still with the headache when I left). Weather was nice, though:

DSC_9759.JPG

Near Esja, on every day I pass this wall painted with "Flatus Lifir Enn" ("Flatus Still Lives"). The oddity has been there for ages in many different forms, a result of Iceland's vibrant graffiti-art culture. Basically, the wall was built to protect the road from blowing gravel, and for unknown reasons, someone scrawled the words "Flatus Lifir" on it. The graffiti was erased, but then someone came and painted a more elaborate, more artistic version of it. Which was then erased again, and someone came and painted an even more elaborate version, on and on. Eventually they just stopped erasing it. The current version is relatively mundane compared to past versions, which have usually presented Flatus as a cartoon cowboy in a desert landscape.

DSC_0000_BURST20190724160740966.JPG

I'm going to need my postholer, so I pop into the shed.

DSC_BOK_20190724162829420.JPG

You'll notice some runic text on the beams that I welded to reinforce the walls and ceilings and resist the loads of the dirt around the shed. What does it mean? Quotes from the Icelandic sagas? A magic enchantment?

DSC_BOK_20190724162850717.JPG

Nah, it's the lyrics to "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley. Probably the world's only runic Rickroll. ;)

Unloading at the western end:

DSC_BOK_20190724163345529.JPG

Lambs grazing on the north side of the road. Cuteness is their primary weapon; don't let it fool you ;)

I note that they really seem to love the clover in that field. It might make for a nice distraction once it starts to grow.

DSC_BOK_20190724163406770.JPG

Looking into the east end of the canyon.

DSC_BOK_20190724163629498.JPG

Starting the hole with the postholer. I know it's only going to get me a short way in before I'm digging out rocks with my hands, but so be it.

DSC_BOK_20190724163858913.JPG

Well, that's looking like a hole overlooking the crumbling slope below.

_20190724_203419.JPG

Pretty deep, and full of hard-to-remove rocks.

DSC_0001_BURST20190724170141666.JPG

Last edited: