Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequestering carbon by land restoration and reforestation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's do some dune willow today :) I'll start along the north fence on the east side of the land.

DSC_9642.JPG

Before I can go, I need to water the trays, as it's not been raining for several days. I sunk my water system several years ago on the neighbor's land upslope from me; it's sourced from an underground stream, filtered into a cistern, and then gravity-fed back to my land. The taste is great :)

DSC_9643.JPG

Looking toward the north fence from the water faucet near the driveway. The two dead trees were planted many years ago, before I bought the land. I don't know what variety they were, but they were clearly not hardy enough to be fully exposed like that; one was dead when I bought the land, and the other died the next year. One already blew over. I'm not removing them, though, because... hey, windbreak. ;)

DSC_9644.JPG

My habit of working without gloves is starting to come back to bite me :Þ

DSC_9645.JPG

Lots of small cuts too (I use hand sanitizer after washing my hands when I get home, and lots of different places burn). But oh well, I'll live :)

The first part of the north fence is a place that gets occasional runoff from the neighbor uphill's manure piles, when he stores it there. So the grass grows crazy. As the east side of the north fence is the most heavily planted part of my land, that means I need to weed everything as I pass :Þ

DSC_9646.JPG

The other problem was... so late last year I decided that I didn't want to have to have a lot of trays inside at home with me over the winter, so I decided to plant them out, despite the fact that the trees were quite small. And I paid for that decision, in that there was a very high winter mortality rate, because the trees were just too small. But another consequence reared itself several times today. For example, I'd just dug this hole:

DSC_9651.JPG

Only to discover - oh hey, wait, there's already a tiny little tree here - I just didn't see it! ;) This happened multiple times. Each time, it's just... close up the hole and move along.

DSC_BOK_20190719185837348.JPG

In addition to weeding, I had to fertilize the trees that demand good soil for good growth - birch, rowan and willows. Apart from being sheep-clipped, this one was looking reasonably nice.

DSC_BOK_20190719192405735.JPG

DSC_9654.JPG

DSC_9655.JPG

Last edited:
A different mix of birds was out today. Among others, hrossagaukar (snipes) were circling overhead; they're curious for the fact that the kazoo-like "call" you hear when they dive, which actually doesn't come from their syrinx (voicebox), but rather special noisemaking tailfeathers. Also, the plaintive cry of the lóa (golden plover) sounded, although I never saw them. They're our harbinger of spring - leading to the common phrase, "Lóan er komin" (The lóa has come"), meaning "Spring is here")

I ran out of fertilizer (only had a little with me), so I set the remainder of the fertility-loving willows aside and focused on lodgepole pine and in particular sitka spruce. This time, I was working on shoring up the eastern edge of the landslide zone.

DSC_9656.JPG

DSC_9657.JPG

DSC_BOK_20190719205633435.JPG

The downside to working in this area is that it's marshy (fed by underground streams), and thus more fertile... and thus the grass is really tall. It took ages to clear enough space around each tree to ensure them full sun. But... the ground needs to be anchored, so so be it.

The upside to working in the marshy areas is that they host pretty flowers :)

DSC_9660.JPG

DSC_0000_BURST20190719212415324.JPG

Hacking through the undergrowth:

DSC_9665.JPG

A view of the landslide scar. It ranges from about half a meter deep at the top to about two meters near the bottom, right before it turns into a jumbled chaotic mass. Note the moss on the right, where it's always wet. When the water table is high, rivulets flow across the entire slope.

DSC_9671.JPG

And the record for "Longest Worm on my Land" goes to... This Guy. ;) I wasn't even digging, it just decided to take a stroll on the surface past me.

DSC_9674.JPG

Finishing up in the meadowsweet:

DSC_BOK_20190719221144104.JPG

I noticed a miscalculation on my part from before. I had thought there were 40 trees per tray, but there were only 35, so that means there's not as many trees total to plant, and that my totals from previous days (which were based on number of trees remaining in the trays to assess the number planted) should also be lower. It also throws off my count for today, so I don't have an exact number, but it should be about 50 (more time spent than in past days, but rougher going on average).

More good weather in the forecast tomorrow, so... áfram með smjörið! **

** Figurative: "(Let's) keep going!"; literal: "Forward with the butter!" ;)

Well, no Zelle then :)

So, headed out. Looks like rain. Hmm.

(Whoops, forgot to upload this pic, and I'm at the max pics for this post... oh well!)

Started raining - sunshowers. Doubly concerned 'Hmm'.

DSC_0000_BURST20190720143603520.JPG

Wasn't raining when I got back to my land, though :) And I discovered something interesting: I initially thought there were 40 trees per tray... then 35 per tray... and now I see the confusion: some have 35, some have 40:

DSC_9675.JPG

I decided to start out with rowan. Remember the redwing from the other day? They're non-migratory, and while during the summer they eat a mix of worms, insects and berries, over the winter their predominant food is rowan berries (which stay on the tree all winter) - hence the Icelandic name "skógarþröstur" (lit: "forest robin"). The vikings weren't exactly doing bird population counts, but it's safe to say that their populations are vastly lower than the time when rowan trees were abundant (many now-treeless places in Iceland start with "reyni-", meaning "rowan").

DSC_9676.JPG

While planting I occasionally looked around for ravens. Rowan is sacred to Oðinn, and ravens are his spies. ;) Never spotted any, though. Then again, a good spy doesn't get spotted. ;)

_20190720_204816.JPG

Sheep damage on an old tree:

DSC_BOK_20190720152112139.JPG

The interlopers stand to the side, watching. I've not seen them on my land at all this summer, yet I keep finding the evidence that they've been there. It's almost like they're timing my absences and presences. I'll admit, I'd sort of gotten resigned to the fact of them getting in and either not closing the temporary gate (which I know they can get through if they really try), or not roping it up very well. I did my best to rope it up when I left later (really need to get that permanent gate installed.... of course, that's hardly the only place they get in).

_20190720_210455.JPG

Rain coming in from down the valley:
DSC_9681.JPG

Right after I took that picture, the neighbor stopped on by to say hi. And with him he was carrying a tree-planting tool. I've used one before, but it was a bad experience - the ground was too rocky for it to get in; it's designed for when the depth of soft soil is at least as long as it, and in depleted lands, that can't be guaranteed. He really recommended it, however. I mentioned the other issue, that I've had a problem with grass shading out seedlings. He pooh-poohed that, noting how tall the trees I'm planting now are, and that they'll get more than enough sun to outgrow the grass in the area I was planting. Which is a fair point - I'm used to planting trees at shorter, sometimes much shorter heights, due to money and availability constraints (my labour is free... money has always been limited... so I've always been more willing to sacrifice my time than to spend more). Except in the marshes' high grass, trees this size are probably fine.

Conversation turned to the sheep, however, as I pointed out that the sheep will eat them down to small sizes regardless, so they still need weeding then. He mentioned that in addition to reinforcing my fences (he offered some ideas), he'd install a second set of fences on the opposite side of the rows of trees I'm planting, so that they're surrounded by fence on both sides. I don't think he understands how much of the land I'm planting, however, as he only ever sees me when I'm near the road and the eastern windbreak. To block off all of the trees I've planted from all sides would take something like 8km / 5mi of fencing. And I've historically minimized the adding of fencing because of... again... money reasons. Fence posts and net (but particularly posts) are expensive. A lot of work with a sledgehammer, too. The neighbor offered to push them in with his tractor if I were to pre-position the posts in the ground, because he's awesome that way :) ). I don't know. I could see maybe doing it for some of the areas that are rich in sheep-favoured trees, that currently have a high planting density. What do you think?

It's just such a difficult challenge. On the east side there's holes because the slope keeps sliding. After I finish writing this I'm going to get in touch with a builder I know to see about how we can anchor some posts securely into that hillside to at least close that (as well as to get the permanent gate installed). The south side is a river at the bottom of the canyon - which I at first thought was a great natural barrier, only to repeatedly watch sheep swim across it. Building a fence on there would be something like 1 1/2km / 1mi, through very tough terrain in places (boulder fields, cliffs, etc), and would be at constant risk of floods or boulder falls. And be a lot more area for sheep to find weaknesses in. I could build a fence in the easier terrain at the *top* of the canyon slopes, for the easier ground and fewer curves (shorter length), but then it wouldn't protect the slopes themselves (although they'll be mainly conifers, so maybe they'd be okay?). I just... I don't think over-fencing is the answer.

Anyway, I thanked the neighbor for the tool, we talked a bit about manure spreading (still don't have a date, but he does plan to do it... even tried to turn down money, because again, he's awesome), and then off I went planting again.

DSC_9680.JPG

Oh wait, remember that rain? Yeah, I had to flee that and take shelter in my car ;)

DSC_9682.JPG

Last edited:
The rain stopped and I went back out, worried that the grass was going to be wet and leave me soaked (it wasn't. yeay!). It was actually nice, because the weather had been just too dang hot - might even have even been nearing 20°C / 68°F ;) Okay, I'm not heat-adapted, allright? ;) But the rain helped cool things down to comfortable temperatures.

Since I was working in the grassland, where the soil was deep enough for the planting tool, and I was no longer weeding, things moved quite fast.

DSC_BOK_20190720164913889.JPG

That said, as soon as I got far enough down the slopes, I got into terrain like this, and if anything the tool slowed me down, with repeated stabbings trying to find sufficient depth, before giving up.

DSC_BOK_20190720163841811.JPG

Still took the time to take some pictures of mushrooms and flowers :)

DSC_BOK_20190720165307593.JPG

DSC_9687.JPG

Not even going to bother trying the tool on gravel pan like this:

DSC_0001_BURST20190720171218103.JPG

The terrain got grassier again, however, and the tool was again proving its worth. Then, as I was approaching the landslide area, what did I happen to find fumbling about at my feet?

DSC_9689.JPG

I thought all of the hatchlings had already grown up and left this year - I guess not!

DSC_0001_BURST20190720172640101.JPG

Soooooo soft!

DSC_0000_BURST20190720172721949.JPG

And yes, to head anyone off, it's a myth that bird parents reject their young if humans touch them. Birds usually have a poor sense of smell, and even among animals with a good sense of smell, parental rejection of young due to being touched by another species is not normal behavior (although hamsters have been known to reject their young if they're touched shortly after birth, which is possibly where this notion comes from).

DSC_0000_BURST20190720172741901.JPG

What I assume was "mom" showed up and started making angry noises at me, so I set the chick back down into the undergrowth (this being near a marshy area, it was one of the few places with enough grass thickness to conceal it).

DSC_BOK_20190720172852942.JPG

Last edited:
Bye, birdie!

DSC_BOK_20190720172908374.JPG

I continued planting my west, at a rapid pace because I was in grassland. I passed by one of the older (albeit slow-growing) trees on my land from past plantings. Some sort of spruce, but I don't know what variety. Not sitka, and I don't think it's blue either.

DSC_BOK_20190720181011363.JPG

Looking back west while standing on a mound of old manure that's since turned into a hillock. Notice the Tesla logo in the grass? Yeah, that's what happens when you give depleted the land nutrients that it lacks - it grows. And if you happen to only give it nutrients in the shape of a Tesla logo in a particular location.... ;)

(Come on, Google, hurry up and get some new aerial imagery! ;) )

DSC_9694.JPG

Working in the grass near the hillock - nice and green because of the nutrients from the decayed manure that seep out.

DSC_BOK_20190720183118634.JPG

Beautiful day. :)

DSC_BOK_20190720183147041.JPG

I've taken to grabbing trees by the bundle and setting off away from the trays rather than hauling the trays in every direction.

DSC_0001_BURST20190720185019759.JPG

This sitka spruce plug is twins. :)

DSC_9696.JPG

Continuing through a large patch of extremely-depleted grassland (which formerly was gravel pan, but is starting to recover after my work last year :) ) I get to the western marshes. This area is dominated by really extreme tussocks - note how much higher my right foot is than my left. This terrain makes it hard to walk through, but the tops of tussocks are good places to plant (less shade, no risk of being flooded when the marsh waters rise, etc).

DSC_9699.JPG

Anyway, I left "early", around 8:30, as I was hungry. Sun was still high overhead. Lazy, lazy me ;)

DSC_9705.JPG

In terms of trees, I think I'm about 2/5ths done, but with my increased planting pace, I'm probably 2/3rds done. Onward and upward!

To block off all of the trees I've planted from all sides would take something like 8km / 5mi of fencing. And I've historically minimized the adding of fencing because of... again... money reasons.
What's the cost trade-off in forgetting fencing entirely and using the money to buy bigger trees that don't need protection? That will also, obviously, save time and effort due to reduced mortality and them getting to maturity sooner.

What's the cost trade-off in forgetting fencing entirely and using the money to buy bigger trees that don't need protection? That will also, obviously, save time and effort due to reduced mortality and them getting to maturity sooner.

I'd have to get pricing from Kjarr. The larger the tree, the less interest that the sheep have in them, while simultaneously, the faster they recover from damage. Given how affordable Kjarr is in general by Icelandic standards, perhaps $20 per tree? It'd probably at least ~5x the total tree cost (but not ~15x it, as with larger trees you can use a lower planting density) .

The other option is avoid broadleafs altogether. E.g. I've only ever seen them take nibbles out of pines, and I've never seen evidence that they've even touched a sitka spruce (I think the needles are uncomfortable for their mouths). That would be a shame to have to have limited diversity and avoid natives, though. I could always diversify the forest at a later date, however.

One advantage to larger trees is that they do sequester carbon and anchor soil faster. Small trees take years before they really "get going", while larger trees "get going" straight out of the gate.

Maybe I should do some combination of the above - with the next tree batch, keep getting the conifers small (for planting cost efficiency), but add in some large broadleafs, of a resistant size? What do you all think?

(Eventually I plan to live on this land, but it's going to be a while. A having a dog loose on the land who likes to chase sheep should solve the interloper problem once and for all ;) )

Last edited:
I'd have to get pricing from Kjarr. The larger the tree, the less interest that the sheep have in them, while simultaneously, the faster they recover from damage. Given how affordable Kjarr is in general by Icelandic standards, perhaps $20 per tree? It'd probably at least ~5x the total tree cost (but not ~15x it, as with larger trees you can use a lower planting density) .

The other option is avoid broadleafs altogether. E.g. I've only ever seen them take nibbles out of pines, and I've never seen evidence that they've even touched a sitka spruce (I think the needles are uncomfortable for their mouths). That would be a shame to have to have limited diversity and avoid natives, though. I could always diversify the forest at a later date, however.

One advantage to larger trees is that they do sequester carbon and anchor soil faster. Small trees take years before they really "get going", while larger trees "get going" straight out of the gate.

Maybe I should do some combination of the above - with the next tree batch, keep getting the conifers small (for planting cost efficiency), but add in some large broadleafs, of a resistant size? What do you all think?

(Eventually I plan to live on this land, but it's going to be a while. A having a dog loose on the land who likes to chase sheep should solve the problem once and for all ;) )

One more option: I could buy smaller trees, and plant them into larger pots at home (I have many, at least a hundred), and grow them here for several years until they get to a resistant size. I'm not sure how well they'd survive winters in pots outdoors vs. in the ground, though - I suspect many would struggle. My indoor space (and light!) is limited; I only really have room for seedling trays, not large trees. I could ask at Kjarr whether she leaves her pots outside or whether she has to move them into greenhouses.

Oh, and another thought: clover is famously palatable to livestock. I wonder if the land being covered in it would prove a sufficient distraction? Well, time will tell :)

Just having something to eat... will get dressed and head out afterwards. Weather looks like yesterday. :)

Okay, I think for the remainder of the small broadleafs, I'll try confining them to areas where there already are a large number of broadleafs (not with the more isolated broadleafs, or on their own), to leave open the possibility of "double-fencing" the broadleaf-rich areas in the future. :) And I like your phrase: "When in doubt, choose diversification." Monoculture sucks. For example, I'd hate to just outright omit rowan and deprive the redwings of a winter food source. Birch and willow, by contrast, feed ptarmigan.

Óðinn wouldn't be happy, either, if I omitted rowan. ;)

One more option: I could buy smaller trees, and plant them into larger pots at home (I have many, at least a hundred), and grow them here for several years until they get to a resistant size.
Beyond the, uh, idiosyncratic sheep-resistance issue, there's a great variety of opinions on optimum size tree for short-term results (growth) and long-term viability. This is a scientific stab at answering that question: CO-Horts: What Size Tree Should I Plant?.

"...the bottom line was that trees planted from #3 and #7 containers recovered more quickly from transplanting and reached establishment sooner than the other sizes."

I've grown trees from seedling size to large containers to giant suckers requiring mechanized equipment to plant, and had best and quickest results with a medium-sized container tree with steady watering. YMMV, of course. Sheep-resistance and cost are probably your biggest factors. But I wouldn't waste money on anything larger than a medium-sized container tree. I think you're on the right track!