Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our X 100D arrived last Thursday. At home, we're charging it on the 14-50 connector that we used with our 2012 S P85 (which we traded-in for the X).

We've noticed that the charging will start at 40A and then drop down to 26-27A by the end of charging.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Is Tesla tapering home charging? Is there an incompatibility with the 14-50 connector (which we purchased early last year)? Or is this an issue with the software or onboard chargers?

Our X 100D arrived last Thursday. At home, we're charging it on the 14-50 connector that we used with our 2012 S P85 (which we traded-in for the X).

We've noticed that the charging will start at 40A and then drop down to 26-27A by the end of charging.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Is Tesla tapering home charging? Is there an incompatibility with the 14-50 connector (which we purchased early last year)? Or is this an issue with the software or onboard chargers?
In my experience, charging always tapers. I have two Gen 2 HPWCs (see sig) and it always slows down ‘towards the top’. I use a max of 40 amps usually (unless in a hurry) and I always see it go to 20 and to 5, (continual, not steps) before stopping at my usual limit of 80 kWh.

Don't recall seeing it taper on our other 2 Tesla cars, when charging up to 90%.

Will monitor it for a few days - and shift it over to our Gen 1 HPWC (on a 100A circuit) and also try the UMC2 cables that came with the car - and see if we notice any difference.

Have you tried setting the HPWC in legacy mode (the dipswitch?)
Where is this dip switch? :confused:

Gen1 HPWC has this the dip switches shown below, but nothing about "legacy mode". From the installation manual:
HPWC-Gen1-Dip.png

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
A couple of weeks ago, we had a late 2017 S75D loaner

We had similar issues with the Gen 1 HPWC - charging the 75D tripped my 50A RCD Breaker a few times, and reduced the charge current down to 30A (from 40A) a couple of others

I did notice the charge port was really tight compared to my car (wasn’t this an issue recently?) so put the inconsistencies down to this

Because it was a loaner, we had no remote access, so had to keep checking the car to make sure all was well

When we got our car back, we plugged in and have had no issues since

So - it’s either a change in the port, a change in the car’s wiring, or the firmware in the old HPWC is not upgradeable to be compatible with some newer model foibles

Talked to Tesla's charging team yesterday about the situation.

They are aware of some incompatibilities between Gen 1 charging hardware (HPWC, UMC, 14-50 connector) and the new MCU 2 cars.

I suspect the problem is caused by the faster MCU2 processor - the software is running faster on the new MCU, causing communication problems with the older charging gear.

With our Gen 1 HPWC, our new X 100D detects the HPWC can support 72A, starts to charge and almost immediately trips the HPWC, resulting in a "red ring of death" at the charging port. Resetting the breaker on the HPWC causes the process to repeat - and another red ring of death.

Using our Gen 1 14-50 connector, the X 100D starts at 40A of charging and appears to ramp down to 26A by the time it reaches 90% charge.

We haven't had any problems using the same charging hardware with our 2012 S P85 (now traded-in for the new X) and 2017 S 100D.

Even with reduced amps, we are able to charge our new X overnight.

The problem is with destination chargers - we did a short road trip last weekend, and the Gen 1 HPWC's kept interrupting charging - though we could have switched to the adjacent J1772 charger, which likely works OK, just slower.

The charging team indicated the problem is being reviewed - and we'll should see a software fix within the next month or two. Until then, if we take a road trip, we'll make sure we have a Plan B for destination chargers, in case we encounter this problem on the road...

• Informative
Reactions: TexasEV
Talked to Tesla's charging team yesterday about the situation.

They are aware of some incompatibilities between Gen 1 charging hardware (HPWC, UMC, 14-50 connector) and the new MCU 2 cars.

I suspect the problem is caused by the faster MCU2 processor - the software is running faster on the new MCU, causing communication problems with the older charging gear.

With our Gen 1 HPWC, our new X 100D detects the HPWC can support 72A, starts to charge and almost immediately trips the HPWC, resulting in a "red ring of death" at the charging port. Resetting the breaker on the HPWC causes the process to repeat - and another red ring of death.

Using our Gen 1 14-50 connector, the X 100D starts at 40A of charging and appears to ramp down to 26A by the time it reaches 90% charge.

We haven't had any problems using the same charging hardware with our 2012 S P85 (now traded-in for the new X) and 2017 S 100D.

Even with reduced amps, we are able to charge our new X overnight.

The problem is with destination chargers - we did a short road trip last weekend, and the Gen 1 HPWC's kept interrupting charging - though we could have switched to the adjacent J1772 charger, which likely works OK, just slower.

The charging team indicated the problem is being reviewed - and we'll should see a software fix within the next month or two. Until then, if we take a road trip, we'll make sure we have a Plan B for destination chargers, in case we encounter this problem on the road...

Im glad to hear that they are aware of the issue and are working on a software fix. I'm thankful that they have ordered me the new Gen2 HPWC to fix my home charging issues but that will not resolve those Gen1 destination charging issue that could come up later. I would think that this will be an issue that they will want to get fixed quickly as more and more of the new MCU cars get out there. I'm sure they don't want to replace every Gen1 HPWC at every resort across North America.

I suspect when they tested MCU2 - they focused on Gen 2 chargers.

For home charging, this will only impact owners who have MCU1 Tesla cars (it's likely most MCU2 purchases are by first-time Tesla owners).

The Gen 1 destination chargers is a bigger challenge - something Tesla likely would not want to fix by sending out Gen 2 HPWCs to the early destination charger locations.

Though, based on our experience last weekend on a short road trip, it's possible that the Gen 1 HPWC may provide some charging, if it's set down to lower amps (ours is set to 80A - and fails immediately).

Wonder what other bugs exist in the MCU software due to the faster processor speed... Surely this affects more than just the Gen 1 charger communications...