Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious question 20" Tesla alloy wheels vs. TSportline 18" Forged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own the Tesla Model 3P+. I went all out on this car. Yes, I went crazy on this car. All options. I have a bit of a soon-to-be-serious or never serious problem. Upon closer inspection, very minor wheel bending was noticed on my 20" perf. wheels from Tesla. Damn. Its not the end of the world, but I view safety as the most important factor... speed be damned. The car rides around fine, its a bit bumpy, and at times, you know, on city roads, it feels a bit, well... not like when I first got the car (took delivery in Aug.. now at 6,000 mi.) There's also some pretty bad and noticeable rim rash from the crappy roads. I haven't been lead footing the accelerator either. I usually run on chill mode. I'm also very disappointed by the range loss on such big wheels.

So rather than buy the same crazy 20" rims, what do you guys recommend? I looked up the TSportline 18" Forged Wheels that will fit the P configuration. What is the advantage here? From what I can tell they weigh almost identical to the 20" alloy wheels. Am I wrong about that? Are they unlikely to bend as easily?

I installed wheel bands the rims look so bad, not even from curbing, but from literally, just crap on the road hitting the wheels.

To worsen my situation, you know these wheels are like 4 grand or something crazy. I also doubled down and bought 20" Michelin all weathers under warranty for the winter months. Now I'm back on the Pilot 4S Sports. So I have two sets of 20" tires, somewhat bad condition wheels, and am trying to figure out a valid solution going forward.

Do nothing or replace the wheels and tires altogether? Any other aftermarket wheels you'd recommend? Don't forget, because of the performance calipers sticking out, and other issues with the Performance wheel mount design, I can't just move down to 18" aeros with caps. Would like to hear opinion from people who switched from 19" or 20" wheels over to 18" and how was your experience? Which ones did you go with and why? Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: Type 5
Any of the T Sportline 18" offerings would definitely not weigh as much as the OEM 20" rims. The 18" TST's are flow-form forged wheels which should be stronger. They are definitely lighter and would give you better range when paired with a good tire. They are also designed to clear the Performance+ calipers on the Model 3.

I've personally bought the 18" TSTs which will be my new summer wheels on my LR RWD 3. I have yet to have them mounted and installed though.

Any of the T Sportline 18" offerings would definitely not weigh as much as the OEM 20" rims. The 18" TST's are flow-form forged wheels which should be stronger. They are definitely lighter and would give you better range when paired with a good tire. They are also designed to clear the Performance+ calipers on the Model 3.

I've personally bought the 18" TSTs which will be my new summer wheels on my LR RWD 3. I have yet to have them mounted and installed though.
Thanks I appreciate your response. It may serious influence what I do going forward. If not now then maybe even a year from now.

I made the exact change you are thinking about, for similar reasons. Two of my original wheels were damaged but were replaced under insurance coverage. I immediately ordered the 18" TSportline wheels with MXM tires. They are much less prone to rash and damage, mostly because of the profile change, energy consumption theoretically should also improve (I cannot confirm that yet). These tires are the same ones that my P85D had as 19" OEM and those lasted 35,000 miles before I replaced them. It would have been more than that were I to be a les compulsive person about tire condition.

I also put AlloyGators on to protect from wheel rash. Actually I had those on the 20" too, but they cannot protect from road hazards, just wheel rash.
FWIW, I sold my OEM 20" for teh same price I paid for the replacements so cost was a wash for me.

I got a set of TST 18s with winter tires for the winters and I'm keeping my 20s for the summer.

When I put the 20s back on a few days ago the steering feel was a night and day difference. The car is so much more responsive with the 20s.

That said... I hit a pothole on Sunday and bend two wheels. Instead of replacing them, I'm just going to get them repaired. If I do have to replace them I'll, personally, go with another set of 20s whether aftermarket or if Tesla starts selling their new forged 20s for the Model 3 (rumored for Summer this year).

PS. If you go for TST wheels, make absolutely sure they sent you the correct ones (milled out on the back). If they didn't, don't attempt to put them on.

I got a set of TST 18s with winter tires for the winters and I'm keeping my 20s for the summer.

When I put the 20s back on a few days ago the steering feel was a night and day difference. The car is so much more responsive with the 20s.

That said... I hit a pothole on Sunday and bend two wheels. Instead of replacing them, I'm just going to get them repaired. If I do have to replace them I'll, personally, go with another set of 20s whether aftermarket or if Tesla starts selling their new forged 20s for the Model 3 (rumored for Summer this year).

PS. If you go for TST wheels, make absolutely sure they sent you the correct ones (milled out on the back). If they didn't, don't attempt to put them on.
Your increased responsiveness has more to do with the tires than the rims. 18's with Michelin PS4S tires will handle excellently as well.

Did you get TST 18s with a winter tire package from TSportline, or did you just buy the rims and got winter tires elsewhere? I'm looking at the tire package and all I have to pick from are Michelin Pilot 4S, Michelin Primacy MXM4, and Continental DWS06, I can't find winter tires there.

I did get the winter tire package from tsportline. Tsportline probably can't get winter tires anymore, they were having such a hard time when I got them to send me the correct order, that they had to send just the wheels and I had to get the tires swapped myself and send the old wheels back. (they accidentally sent the non-performance 18s)

hey bro, just put on 18" wheels on my performance from T sportline. the TSS wheels so far so good. only thing I'm getting now is a tire sensor fault. but I will put my take after my long drive tomorrow to see the wh/mi on it and the difference. the 0-60 feels quicker no doubt so far

hey bro, just put on 18" wheels on my performance from T sportline. the TSS wheels so far so good. only thing I'm getting now is a tire sensor fault. but I will put my take after my long drive tomorrow to see the wh/mi on it and the difference. the 0-60 feels quicker no doubt so far

How was it?

I'm thinking about throwing on Gloss Black, with Royal/Dodger Blue Brake Calipers.

I didn't even think about the efficiency part due to the lighter weight. Technically smaller rims give you more mileage because of less weight?