Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Server Error 500 and what options to avoid potential issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using app to schedule preconditioning and worked great till sometime today . It stopped preconditioning although app is connected and showing preconditioning is scheduled, even after the set time. There was 500 server error on the app. Some App functions work but climate, controls and schedule don’t work (I.e trying to do the request then timed out). I have submitted bug report and in touch with Tesla. Any tip to resolve is appreciated. Thanks.

I have been using app to schedule preconditioning and worked great till sometime today . It stopped preconditioning although app is connected and showing preconditioning is scheduled, even after the set time. There was 500 server error on the app. Some App functions work but climate, controls and schedule don’t work (I.e trying to do the request then timed out). I have submitted bug report and in touch with Tesla. Any tip to resolve is appreciated. Thanks.
Working, back to normal.

Reactions: NewbieT
Presumably the media reports of people not being able to start their cars were from people who had previously logged out of their app ?

No reason that I can think of not being able to ‘start the car’ if app was not manually closed. No different to being in a location that doesn’t have internet access - the car functions will work via Bluetooth from phone - or work via keycard or fob.

Car doesn’t need access to Tesla servers and neither does the app need it to function as a key unless it was logged out.

Even without SMS to wake the car, Bluetooth key functionality still would work.

Reactions: Alistairuk
Car doesn’t need access to Tesla servers and neither does the app need it to function as a key unless it was logged out.

Yes but there are some people like me who didn’t realise what was going on and decided to reinstall the app as a last resort ,thinking it was phone that had gone wrong.

Lucky for me I was sat at home with my key card handy.

But there will be others that became stranded due to logging out or reinstalling the Tesla app.

This kind of service outage really focuses the mind. Tesla will have some annoyed owners following that episode.

And weirdly for me, I actually used my key card to lock the car for the first time in 9 months of ownership. Walk away lock has been disabled due to app reinstall.

Presumably the media reports of people not being able to start their cars were from people who had previously logged out of their app ?

No reason that I can think of not being able to ‘start the car’ if app was not manually closed. No different to being in a location that doesn’t have internet access - the car functions will work via Bluetooth from phone - or work via keycard or fob.

Even without SMS to wake the car, Bluetooth key functionality still would work.
Yeah, but you know how it is with the media….

“Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story!”

This is a useful lesson. As per Tesla guidance always carry a keycard with you. This is one of the reasons why.
or use the key fob. i have no regrets buying one. have to leave the house with a door key anyhow so having a small bunch of keys plus phones hardly a chore. can remap it it next tesla when i upgrade, and i like it can open boot, bonnet, charge socket as well as the doors.

Reactions: ringi
Yes but there are some people like me who didn’t realise what was going on and decided to reinstall the app as a last resort ,thinking it was phone that had gone wrong.

Lucky for me I was sat at home with my key card handy.

But there will be others that became stranded due to logging out or reinstalling the Tesla app.

This kind of service outage really focuses the mind. Tesla will have some annoyed owners following that episode.

And weirdly for me, I actually used my key card to lock the car for the first time in 9 months of ownership. Walk away lock has been disabled due to app reinstall.
For iPhone users it’s a shame that Tesla hasn‘t allowed a car key to be installed in the Apple Wallet which would operate like a key card (RFID) as a backup in case the app doesn’t work as you describe or the phone battery dies (RFID still works for a few hours after the main phone powers down).

For iPhone users it’s a shame that Tesla hasn‘t allowed a car key to be installed in the Apple Wallet which would operate like a key card (RFID) as a backup in case the app doesn’t work as you describe or the phone battery dies (RFID still works for a few hours after the main phone powers down).
May be useful but you would still need a phone alternative to cover for when the phone itself has a problem.

Moderator Comment: combined to thread as many of the comments and answers relate to each other.

Morning all,

In light of the bbc news article about this weeks app issues…

Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage

What do people do who only use the mobile key? Do you always carry the key card as a backup?

I’m particularly concerned about: a) parking in an area with zero network coverage on the phone. Is that an issue?
b) app crashes / outages
c) what happens if you loose your phone? Appreciate this is no different to losing your car key but can Tesla remotely unlock the vehicle for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Per the Beeb: Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage

Qustion is, if any of these owners had been carrying a card key, would they have been OK? I'm assuming yes, but I think we should ask more questions about the tech in use by Tesla. Does the car depend on connectivity with Tesla's servers to work? I'm asking because I know of several examples where other Internet connected devices have stopped working because the company that produced them went out of business or chose to stop supporting them. Servers were shut down, and the devices stopped working - leaving the owners with expensive paperweights.

Why does it need to go via Tesla's servers? Could it not communicate a secure token direct with the car via Bluetooth?

@Dilly I'm glad you could get in! Maybe it affected US servers only?
I was effected, had the 500 error in the app, no issue opening or driving the car.

There are two different things, the app had an issue, but if you had the phone key set up then that is entirely bluetooth and doesn't need any internet connection, because it has to work in underground car parks and inhospitable locations like Scotland.

If you didn't have your app set as a phone key you can still unlock the car by pressing a button, that does use Tesla's servers, so I assume may have been effected. Also as pointed out above if you uninstalled the app to see if you could fix the 500 error maybe you could have then removed your phone key, perhaps.

The Keycards and Tesla Key clearly don't connect to any servers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llama.
Why does it need to go via Tesla's servers? Could it not communicate a secure token direct with the car via Bluetooth?

@Dilly I'm glad you could get in! Maybe it affected US servers only?
No, I got server errors. It was pretty much global. I was driving at the time and voice commands wouldn’t work. After I got home I thought I’d plug in for an overnight boost but the app came up with server error 500. Had to go out and unlock to plug in.
Phone unlock doesn’t use the server. It’s bluetooth/LTE directly between car/phone.