Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if folks here have come to this realization yet, but Tesla AGI (in the form of a large-language model) will allow Tesla Service to use fleet data to remotely PROBLEM SOLVE while repairing your car. Mechanics will not longer be paid for head & butt scratching time as they try to figure out what needs doing; the Service Workorder from the AGI will tell them what's wrong, and how to fix it. DOJO Power! THIS.IS.HUGE.

Here's just a taste of what I mean in this video: :D

Can ChatGPT Diagnose this Car? | Chevy Trax P0171, P1101, P0420

Just had the upper control arms changed out on the Model X. every bump, every time turned wheel horrible squeaking.
booked appt. got moved, via app from 1 week out to 5 weeks out. I aksed to have appt moved up, they noted will get back to me when parts are in.
crickets. five weeks later they fixed it, but failed to do another job that was scheduled. i asked about it when picked up, and was told they would phone me back. that was 2 weeks ago.

communication of service still leaves tons to be desired.
interfacing through an app sucks. its like twenty texts or emails that replace one phone call.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot and JRP3
Tesla willingness to fail fast is one of the key reasons why I am invested in this company ... they are not afraid to innovate and when they make a mistake they pivot relatively quickly ... they will upset some customers along the way ...

as an example i hated the idea of using the app to communicate with service center, my recent issue with my Model S was perfectly resolved without ever needing to see anyone in the service center or any phone calls ... i dropped car off... and picked it up upon repair just through the app and the chat window .... zero hassles ...

As far as advertising is concerned I'd rather Tesla spend their money on new delivery centers. I cannot tell you how many people I know in New Hampshire and Maine that won't buy a Tesla since the only service centers in the area are in eastern Massachusetts not far from Boston. If the service center isn't within an hour many won't buy. Service centers are demand drivers.

Reactions: Cheese Guy
And adding something to a growing list of repairs to an already scheduled repair on our lemon MS Plaid? Sets the appointment back by another three+ weeks because there are NOT ENOUGH SERVICE CENTERS Elon!

Geesh, one would think that they could simply notice the size of the service backlogs and build more of them, no?

What is the limiting factor with Service Center growth?

Finally, someone that MIGHT have an idea about root cause analysis, and Quality in general--why wasn't this person hired a decade ago?!?

Pretty sure that this isn't intended to be a QA person.

From my understanding, it's to decrease service. And that's something that Tesla started worrying with a few years back with the Semi. They wanted the Semi to have a MTBF of a million miles.

Reactions: madodel
Pretty sure that this isn't intended to be a QA person.

From my understanding, it's to decrease service. And that's something that Tesla started worrying with a few years back with the Semi. They wanted the Semi to have a MTBF of a million miles.
It is sort of the opposite of what Henry Ford was said to have done. Where he sent people to the scrap yards to see what parts were over designed and never failed so that they could cheapen them.

And as far a how things are going service wise, I finally was able to experience that for myself today. I had an issue with my Model Y last week and went to schedule a service visit, an appointment was available in two days, but that wasn't convenient for me so I scheduled it for today. (I thought it should have been handled by a mobile service tech, but it only let me schedule it at a service center.) About 15 minutes after I scheduled it the automated system came back with some questions to clarify one of the issues and noted that their records showed that, if the tread-depth was at least 2/32" different front/back, I was due for a tire rotation and asked if I wanted to add that to my service, which I declined.

I arrived at the scheduled time, the automated check-in occurred where it told me to go inside to check with an advisor. I went in and they asked if I was OK to wait for about 15 minutes for a tech to check out the car and provide an estimate of the completion time. I said yes and was directed into the customer lounge. (Which provided water, coffee, Internet/WiFi, power, and granola bars.) About 10 minutes later the advisor came back and said it would be about an hour and a half and asked if I was OK to wait, or if I needed alternate transportation. I said I would wait. A little over an hour later he came back and let me know the service was complete and that my car was waiting right outside the door.

The whole time I was there the same pattern was happening with other customers, though sometimes the tech would come to get more details or take the customer for a test drive to help identify noises/issues.

Overall, the service was on-par with, or better, than the service I received from a five-star rated Cadillac dealer that I had dealt with in the past. The only things Tesla didn't do that they did were:
  • Wash/vacuum the car before returning it to me. (It was already pretty clean as I washed it Saturday.)
  • They didn't provide me with warm, fresh-baked, cookies on check-out as the Cadillac dealer always did.
Neither of those things bothered me.

My only complaint about the service was that they parked my Model Y in an ADA designated stall for me to pick it up from.

I know that the service experience can vary in different locations, but it seems to be going great in my area.

And as far a how things are going service wise, I finally was able to experience that for myself today. I had an issue with my Model Y last week and went to schedule a service visit, an appointment was available in two days, but that wasn't convenient for me so I scheduled it for today. (I thought it should have been handled by a mobile service tech, but it only let me schedule it at a service center.) About 15 minutes after I scheduled it the automated system came back with some questions to clarify one of the issues and noted that their records showed that, if the tread-depth was at least 2/32" different front/back, I was due for a tire rotation and asked if I wanted to add that to my service, which I declined.

I arrived at the scheduled time, the automated check-in occurred where it told me to go inside to check with an advisor. I went in and they asked if I was OK to wait for about 15 minutes for a tech to check out the car and provide an estimate of the completion time. I said yes and was directed into the customer lounge. (Which provided water, coffee, Internet/WiFi, power, and granola bars.) About 10 minutes later the advisor came back and said it would be about an hour and a half and asked if I was OK to wait, or if I needed alternate transportation. I said I would wait. A little over an hour later he came back and let me know the service was complete and that my car was waiting right outside the door.

The whole time I was there the same pattern was happening with other customers, though sometimes the tech would come to get more details or take the customer for a test drive to help identify noises/issues.

Overall, the service was on-par with, or better, than the service I received from a five-star rated Cadillac dealer that I had dealt with in the past. The only things Tesla didn't do that they did were:
  • Wash/vacuum the car before returning it to me. (It was already pretty clean as I washed it Saturday.)
  • They didn't provide me with warm, fresh-baked, cookies on check-out as the Cadillac dealer always did.
Neither of those things bothered me.

My only complaint about the service was that they parked my Model Y in an ADA designated stall for me to pick it up from.

I know that the service experience can vary in different locations, but it seems to be going great in my area.
What service location? After several years I took my now 8+ year old Signature X to a new Service Center (Warminster, PA) for a loud front end squeak. Had to deal with app to make the appointment but then a live person responded asking specific questions. I made sure they knew I needed to wait or get a loaner as I was an hour and a half drive away and they said they’d “prioritize” a loaner for me but the usual it depends on availability. Had to accept a worse case estimate of about $1800 but then they called me to assure me that was worse case. The service advisor met me at my car shortly after I pulled in to a parking spot and said my name which was a bit spooky. They had a Model Y dual motor loaner for me. They called me several times during the 4 days they had my car (2 of which were Saturday and Sunday when they were closed) and it ended up being only $300 to replace the front control arms.

Not quite the experience of 7-8 years ago when I could call them directly and they’d send a loaner on a flatbed to pick up my X, but overall a very pleasant experience than the previous service experiences I had several years ago. And I also noticed that the waiting room was well stocked with coffee, tea, water, seltzer cans and some snacks. Not up to the Lexus standards with a barrista and hot pastries but better than in the past. Maybe someone is listening to our complaints.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld