TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Service and communication (out of main)

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by neroden, Jul 19, 2019.

1. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Thank you!

• Like x 1
  2. neroden

Eh, I was using Elon's terminology ("production hell", "delivery logistics hell"); he should be down with that.

• Funny x 3
  3. neroden

Cut it out, Karen.

Bonnie Norman pulled this BS back in 2013 when I started warning about service communication problems. Basically saying "everything's great nothing to see here -- how about everyone report every time things went well!"

This, attempting to suppress the bad news, was a mistake. If Tesla had heard the problems early, they wouldn't have festered and turned into the service hell which they are now. I literally dread calling Tesla. Once the service tech shows up, it's great, but getting to that point is worse than waiting at the DMV -- a lot worse.

By the way? So far, your survey is showing 15% reporting "service hell" and 22% reporting "exceptionally difficult to communicate with Tesla Service". For any consumer-facing company, this is abysmal.

Frankly, the other 3/4 are probably people who are close enough that they can walk into their local service center.

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 3
    • Love x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  4. neroden

Karen, you don't get it. That question would NOT get Musk's attention. Something sharp enough to get his attention has to happen. You have 7 people out of 45 reporting 5 hours on hold. Think about what that means. It's insanely bad.

The service is abysmal, and your survey is clearly showing that it is abysmal.

You're now the one spreading disinformation. Cut it out.

It's pretty clear to me that Tesla's top management doesn't even realize how bad it's gotten. They need to wake up if they want to retain their order book, and this is critical for shareholders.

• Like x 9
    • Love x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  5. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

Many Tesla owners are finding it exceptionally difficult to communicate with Tesla service. Many wait 5 hours on hold or are caught in phone tree loops. Several service centers can only be scheduled by phone, which is nigh impossible. What is being done about Tesla service hell?

Another example:
    Just visited my service center to schedule service at the SC because of keyfob issues that multiple mobile techs couldn’t fix, which the mobile tech suggested I do. Actually, the mobile techs said they notified my SC to call me and schedule service. But, no one ever called. Of course, when I try to call the store myself in the middle of weekday afternoon when it should not be busy, no one ever picks up. So, I gave up and just went in.

The appointment guy asks me all these questions about the history of my problem and previous repair attempts. Not once did he bother to check the history of my vehicle. So, I got frustrated and asked him why he didn’t check, and he simply tells me, “I can’t see records of mobile tech visits.” WTF, is this for real? They need to either get rid of this kid or get their communications in order.

Waste of my time standing there waiting for him to type everything I said to him at a break neck typing speed of maybe at best 15-20 WPM.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. neroden

It's not an exaggeration, and you damn well have to berate them to get through their thick heads. Musk claimed that service improvements were well in hand last quarterly call -- this quarter, people are waiting 5 hours on hold. Management is clearly not on top of things yet.

If you want to see Tesla go down the tubes, keep downplaying Tesla's appalling customer service statistics. If you're an investor, you should be screaming bloody murder at management.

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. neroden

I can't make an appointment at the correct service center because it's "only by phone" -- what do you do, just make one at a random service center which you have absolutely no intention of going to? (This is even stupider)

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. neroden

Oh, they've already done that for the newly "opened" Henrietta, NY service cneter. If you go to the website, it says you can only schedule it on the phone!

So literally impossible to schedule an appointment.

• Like x 1
  9. neroden

It's this dire.

My track record as a Tesla supporter speaks for itself and others here can testify to my integrity.

I don't have to go in for service often. But when I do, OMG. How the hell do I reach anyone? It's gone from bad to worse to impossible. If I somehow manage to actually get through to someone, it's usually fine (though when I needed a license plate bracket, I gave up and ordered a third party bracket).

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  10. neroden

I'm going to disagree with the moderator here. Please change your mind.

This is one of the most important topics for Tesla's future financial success, as noted by mrmage:

The state of Tesla's service communications is critical to any investment analysis of Tesla at this point.

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 3
  11. neroden

Yes, I have had that confirmed by both Devon and by Boston Mobile service -- Devon can't see Mobile service records, Mobile service can't see Devon records.

• Informative x 4
  12. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

huh. When I called into the SC today, the guy was able to pull up all the notes and everything from the mobile service appointment(oddly, it took him a while to think of doing so first). I’d lay the blame for this one on the kid you talked to. Or his training.

• Helpful x 1
  13. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Supportive Mentor

You're foaming at the mouth. Settle down. It'll be alright. Service is not the end of the company. You should take the weekend off. That's advice.

• Disagree x 9
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 3
  14. Buckminster

Buckminster Active Member

15. capster

capster Member

Dude, get a grip.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  16. neroden

#16 neroden, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Recent change?

I literally had confirmation last year that they couldn't see each others' systems. Maybe this is new (and if it's new, it's good, certainly).

But wait: How the hell did you actually reach someone on the phone? Which service center did you call? Last time I called, I had to run through five service center numbers before I found one which picked up -- just before that, the main number NEVER got a human (just the looping phone tree from hell), and online chat didn't work, and email didn't work.

I'll give it a few more months, but if this continues to happen, I'm selling my 10K TSLA shares. I'd rather get Musk's attention and get the damn problem fixed.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

This was at Dublin SC. Someone with tats, looked to appear in his 20’s. I’ve always disliked that place after my first encounter with the sales head there. Looks like their staff follows lead of the head boss. Really crappy attitude both times I spoke with him before. Made it sound like my family was going to die any day in my previous car if I didn’t buy a Tesla. So, I bought our Tesla’s with folks at Fremont. Just happened to go to Dublin SC as it’s closer and to try their service since it’s a simple (or, at least I hope it will be) keyfob/receiver issue.

Also, there was only one person at the service desk even with a line of people while there’s about a dozen sales staff just chatting about doing nothing. Do they really expect that many people to buy a car in the beginning of a quarter and on a weekday afternoon? They should at least cross train a few of them to help out at the service desk.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. neroden

Mrmole mentioned this site.

Wow. Sort by "recent".

Top 130 Reviews about Tesla Motors

I know that such sites bias towards negative reviews... but 24 minutes on hold for ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE? That's from July 1 (Charles of Barrington).
    And on June 24 (Nicole of Scottsdale): nobody can be reached on the phone. May 2 (Steve of Rockville): service center permanently fails to answer phone.

Read some of the others. People are declaring that they love the car, but they will never buy another Tesla.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. capster

capster Member

A. Chill

B. Think

Most likely Musk thinks of things as a multi-dimensional optimization problem. Overall, I'd guess (and hope) he is trying to maximize thrust, as it were.

Service must, perforce, come after vehicle development, manufacturing, sales, and delivery.

Of course, service is something that can be measured, managed and improved. I don't personally doubt that it is on their radar to an appropriate degree; though not I expect to the level that you feel it should be.

Remember, Tesla is in a war for survival (theirs and ours). Don't let your experience color your analysis (That is to say: Breathe.)

I am sorry to be the one to tell you that no one, especially Musk, gives a rat's ass whether you hold or sell. Sry.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

I mentioned this previously but I think it might have gotten lost in my later joke: after making an appointment via the website at the service center(Sunnyvale, fwiw), new phone tree options were unlocked. One option was a worthless time/date reminder and the other suggested filling out the email thing on the site and then just connected me straight through.

• Informative x 1