Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do most repair places give loaners or transpo for out of warranty work? I'm a big believer in making sure warranty customers have loaners, but not sure if that should apply to out of warranty.
What I have seen is that places that give loaners give them for every qualified service (in warranty or out of warranty and is more than $X), and the ones that don't, don't.

Reactions: Nocturnal
cool cool, glad to see you guys don't care about customer service. It's a small thing to do...it's the little things. remember.

I'm sure there is a lot of demand for loaner vehicles, given how many Teslas there are. It makes sense to prioritise loaning them out to customers with an active warranty. I don't think they decided to cut loaners for those without an active warranty just to annoy or spite them.

cool cool, glad to see you guys don't care about customer service. It's a small thing to do...it's the little things. remember.
A few years ago, the stated plan was that Model S and Model X owners would be eligible for loaners but Model 3 (and then Model Y) would not, except maybe if service was expected to take more than 4 hours. Tesla started giving people Uber credits, up to $100 I think.

My Model Y was in for service recently and it took two visits. First time, I asked if they happen to have a loaner and they gave me an old 2017 Model 3 to use. Second time they did not have a loaner and I waited as I prefer not to use the uber credits.

With a growing customer base, Tesla has to make decisions like this. Having a fleet of loaners at every service station adds operating expenses and space requirements. The uber credits must be less expensive than maintaining a larger loaner fleet.

I'd like to see service improve, as it still isn't as good as when I had my Model S in 2016, but I do think it's better than I've had with dealerships and, overall, I'm very happy with service for nearly all of my experiences.

The best part is no part. The best service is no service (meaning service that doesn't need to happen). Tesla will always be concentrating more on eliminating the need for service than on making service pleasant.

I'm sure there is a lot of demand for loaner vehicles, given how many Teslas there are. It makes sense to prioritise loaning them out to customers with an active warranty. I don't think they decided to cut loaners for those without an active warranty just to annoy or spite them.
Loaner vehicles around my area used to be readily available back in 2019...its pretty much all uber credits these days.

Due to the fact that that Tesla service takes FOREVER to fix the cars, yes, they should do everything to help out the customer.
Tesla should be held accountable to industry standard, which is not the norm for them to provide transportation for outside of warranty work. This is what that extra ala carte option for rental cars from your insurance company is for.

So we can criticize Tesla for not trying to improve their wait time to industry stand or they are still longer than industry standard, but we shouldn't criticize them for not providing things other companies don't provide.

Loaner vehicles around my area used to be readily available back in 2019...its pretty much all uber credits these days.
I disagree, but this might be a local thing.

Even at my last out-of-warranty service I was offered a loaner. Granted I am pretty close to the factory but this also means demand is high. I only have had to take Uber credits once for my services.

I put in an order for a new Model Y 2 days ago. If history is any teacher, the tax credit becoming law will likely push Tesla pricing upwards. I am sort of hoping that the deliveries next year might use the new computer with more powerful processor similar to the Plaid X and S.

Tesla should be held accountable to industry standard, which is not the norm for them to provide transportation for outside of warranty work. This is what that extra ala carte option for rental cars from your insurance company is for.

So we can criticize Tesla for not trying to improve their wait time to industry stand or they are still longer than industry standard, but we shouldn't criticize them for not providing things other companies don't provide.
My view exactly. Probably the one thing I get annoyed with Tesla buyers is the level of entitlement some of them have when Tesla routinely does more than legacy auto. Don't hold Tesla to a standard that other don't provide. People get so spoiled by the things that Tesla does for their consumes that they then routinely have unrealistic expectations.

Due to the fact that that Tesla service takes FOREVER to fix the cars, yes, they should do everything to help out the customer.

Was on vacation two weeks ago. My 2019 Model 3 suddenly made loud creaking noises from one day to the next. Made a service appointment via app, next possible opening was a few days later. Was still on vacation then so made an appointment for this week. Estimated time to replace both (not only the creaky) front suspension arms was 4-5 hours. Car was ready after 3.5h, all on warranty after 40k miles. Can´t complain!

Sure, just a single data point. But generalizing your own experience doesn´t give the whole picture. For me, the service experience with Tesla has been getting better over the years.

Sure, just a single data point. But generalizing your own experience doesn´t give the whole picture. For me, the service experience with Tesla has been getting better over the years.
I don't want to continue this discussion, as it seems clear my opinion is not well received, but I've also had great experience with quick service. My statements were more of a summary of the customer base and the problem Tesla has...

Yep. I’ve never been offered a loaner in the last 2 years. Only Uber credits.

You probably got on Elon's "naughty" list. Those people rarely get loaners (only if they have a surplus), they are less likely to get non-warranty repairs covered under goodwill, and OTA updates are often delayed until most of the fleet is already on the newest version.

Once on the naughty list, it's nearly impossible to get off so be careful out there!
/s