Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center experience and wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car in at the San Diego service center last week and the car was returned to me after a “light hand wash” with horrible swirling and light scratches all over the car. Almost if someone had run fine grit sandpaper all over the car. Also there was a deeper scuff in on the bumper also new.

After contacting the service center and being told the service manager would contact me, I was finally able to get ahold of him after several days (pretty poor customer service in general). He was not apologetic at all and offered a detail at the service center. I asked them to pay for an independent detail and he refused.

Really surprised by their poor customer service. The manager was very hard to get ahold of and barely polite. Really didn’t seem to care about what would make me happy. Seems like they take their customers for granted. Sad to say that I’m hesitant to recommend purchasing a Tesla to others.

I know it was probably a rookie mistake to allow the service center to wash it. I’m reluctant to allow them to touch it again...

Just wondering what people’s experience has been and what people’s thoughts are.

Attachments

• 0B45B771-5C0C-4436-93B2-29D3BCBA6AC4.jpeg
    0B45B771-5C0C-4436-93B2-29D3BCBA6AC4.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Don’t let the SC clean the car for you. Put an A4 on the windshield says “DON’T WASH MY CAR” and let the service advisor know that too.

Same story. They messed up my model X FWD. Then they fixed it, but leaved a long deep scratch on my rear bumper. Took another week to get detailer fix it. After that, ton of scratches appear on my hood. Ended up asking them stop doing anything on my car.

• Helpful
Reactions: torch0395
This is really horrible. My experience with the San Diego service center was quite poor also. Seems like a top down problem from your experience with the manager. They also washed my car before I got it back, but thankfully no damage.

I'd keep pushing if I was you as the car was returned in worse condition than before service. They did offer to detail it, which I'd consider taking up. Maybe see if the website feedback with the escalate function does anything.

It's not an excuse for their poor service, but it sounds like they are extremely overwhelmed right now. The service tech I talked to said they had something like 150 cars in their possession at the time when they normally expect to have about half of that. Hopefully the new service center that's supposed to be opening in the Convoy area will help decompress the demand.

I had the exact same experience with the Salt Lake City service center though they were very apologetic and offered to have their detailer polish out the scratching for free but I haven't taken then up on the offer yet because I'm worried they'll make it worse. I may just consider it a lesson learned. I've bought a "please don't wash" card to hang from my rear view mirror in the future.

Reactions: Ruben010101
I wanna give a shout out to Henry from M1 Auto Detail, he’s located in Escondido. He took the time to show me how to precisely wash the model 3, he too uses ONR and takes his time in washing and cleaning.

He also does PPF’s, window tinting, and chrome delete. Uploading an image of how clean my car came out.

Attachments

• 7C046B01-0D91-408B-873F-F5AFD8119676.jpeg
    7C046B01-0D91-408B-873F-F5AFD8119676.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 138
  • 8C0F0EAA-3551-47D6-B298-2799C6E05EC6.jpeg
    8C0F0EAA-3551-47D6-B298-2799C6E05EC6.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 134
I’ve been extremely careful with washing my 3. I had a service visit recently and forgot to tell them not to wash it. I’m fairly convinced some of the fine scratches I see in my paint now are from the wash they did. They also did a completely horrible job “cleaning” my windows. I had to clean them again as soon as I got home from the service center because they did just a bad job. I’ll definitely be telling them not to do any washing or cleaning in my 3 whatsoever whenever I bring it in going forward. This was at the Springfield NJ service center btw.