Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Giving Me A Headache!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning everyone, I know we keep hearing about the woes of Tesla Service but since having purchased my vehicle in April of this year, I have been to the Service Center here in Tampa a total of FOUR TIMES. They have done great work on the normal stuff, but I am starting to get fed up with the whole “sorry we can’t do anything unless we can duplicate the issue” nonsense. Details below:

04/20/2019 – Delivery

04/23/2019 – First Service Visit

Here they took care of the underlying things the previous owner failed to report such as the screen bubbling on the main instrument display and other small items. It was a pleasant experience and they had it done in a day.

05/03/2019 – Second Service Visit

On this visit they fixed a faulty blinker stalk, did a tire rotation and balance, and I purchased a piece for the rear executive seats’ center armrest since the part was cheap and I could install it no problem. I also noticed this “chirping/squeeling” sound coming from the interior A/C fan on low-medium speed. Also, the fan in the front of the vehicle would squeak as the vehicle powered down. After showing this to Tesla, they said they could not replicate it but did some “cleaning” to try and alleviate the noise. It came back.

07/19/2019 – Third Service Visit

This time they took care of a recall notice on the vehicle and adjusted the driver’s door panel since the molded plastic would sometimes come loose from the frame. They fixed these issues no problem. I also reported the squeaking of the fans for the second time and they stated again they could not replicate the issue.

10/03/2019 – First Mobile Service Visit

My rear driver’s door would present itself but would not actually engage the electronic latch to open the door. What’s weirder is that it would only not work when the front door was open. Close the front door, and boom the rear door was working again. He could not repair it from his end, so I had to take it in the Service Center. He also reported being able to hear the chirping coming from the fans.

10/23/2019 – Fourth Service Visit

My windshield wipers had been scraping across the windscreen since I purchased the vehicle and despite trying 3 different pair of windscreen wipers, the issue was still present. I assumed the blade arm needed to be adjusted since this was obviously not a wiper issue. I also, again, brought up the fan issues and provided them with the following videos:

Interior Fan Noise

Interior Fan 'Chirping' Noise (Better Quality)

Exterior Fan Noise

Despite these videos, they still claim they could not replicate the issue and therefore cannot fix the issues. They also told me that because I was using non-OEM windscreen wipers, this would cause the issue with the squeaking. C’mon, three pairs of wipers, all very good brands, and their Bosch wipers suddenly fix the issue? I don’t think so. Also, $31 FOR EACH WIPER BLADE?!

I even sent them these videos again and they said they do no good without being able to do it themselves. WHY ASK FOR THEM THEN?!

/rant

Sorry about your experience. I wish I could say that it's an outlier and to not lose faith in Tesla Service. Sadly this would be a lie based on my personal experiences with similar situations that required Tesla Service.

I see by your profile that you're in the Tampa, FL area. I keep being told by other forum members that these sorts of experiences are limited to the Denver area locations of which there are two. I'm told it's only our two service centers and that things are getting SO much better overall. Yet I keep reading similar stories from members all over the country for various service centers.

It's been nearly a year now since Elon stated during an earnings call that it was an issue and was a priority for Tesla to address and it would be addressed. At what point do we declare this clearly isn't a priority to Tesla and stories like this are the rule and not the exception?

Tesla's Customer Service is beyond unacceptable and that's what I tell anyone who asks me about our Tesla cars now, sadly.

• Informative
Reactions: Viridian
Sorry about your experience. I wish I could say that it's an outlier and to not lose faith in Tesla Service. Sadly this would be a lie based on my personal experiences with similar situations that required Tesla Service.

I see by your profile that you're in the Tampa, FL area. I keep being told by other forum members that these sorts of experiences are limited to the Denver area locations of which there are two. I'm told it's only our two service centers and that things are getting SO much better overall. Yet I keep reading similar stories from members all over the country for various service centers.

It's been nearly a year now since Elon stated during an earnings call that it was an issue and was a priority for Tesla to address and it would be addressed. At what point do we declare this clearly isn't a priority to Tesla and stories like this are the rule and not the exception?

Tesla's Customer Service is beyond unacceptable and that's what I tell anyone who asks me about our Tesla cars now, sadly.

I had been one of those people who simply told themselves "it's just growing pains, they will get much better when they're further established" for a long time. Not to mention my most recent appointment was moved literally the day before from the SC on US 301 to a newer facility on N Florida Ave. There were no signs or anything when I arrived and I had no idea where to go.

Luckily for users with the Model S, parts supply has not been an issue. When I needed the piece for the rear armrest, they had it in stock in the right color and it was fairly cheap. I'm just confused as to why they ask for proof of something happening, then dismiss the issue 3 different times because they cannot replicate it. Do they think I fabricated the videos? There's obviously something wrong whether you are able to duplicate it on the spot or not!

Welcome to the Achilles heel of tesla and the major reason they could fail. cant tell you the attitude issues Ive seen, most are documented here in posts. Best advice is just keep bringing the car back to them even for the same thing they cannot replicate. Eventually they will wear down and actually fix the issue

Welcome to the Achilles heel of tesla and the major reason they could fail. cant tell you the attitude issues Ive seen, most are documented here in posts. Best advice is just keep bringing the car back to them even for the same thing they cannot replicate. Eventually they will wear down and actually fix the issue

What's even more odd is that when they sent me the "pre-auth" forms regarding what they intended to do on the date of service, they had listed new parts underneath each complaint - a compressor for the front and blower assembly for the interior. Now, they won't do sh*t because according to the service rep, "...without being able to duplicate it they [mechanics] have no way of knowing where to start service or what to look for. :( That's the problem."

Okay then.

I'm just confused as to why they ask for proof of something happening

It's way to save money. No reproducy, fixy, no costy. Their business model targets the Apple demographic, similar fanbois who will wait in line for anything Apple puts out, whether they want it or not. Tesla is betting its future on you, their disgruntled customer. It's genius. It reminds me of the business model of startups in the late 90's, when the goal was to lose money. Yes, lose money as a measure of success. This actually was a thing.

Understand your frustration, but a mechanic is going to have a hard time fixing something that is working perfectly when he looks at it. He can take your word for the problem, but can't get authorization to put in a bunch of new parts if he does not see what needs replacing to effect the fix.

Sounds like your car had a bunch of problems, the previous owner let go, and now you are stuck with getting everything up to snuff.

Most manufacturers now have a policy of getting you to agree to certain charges if they spend time on your car, but don't find it something that is covered by warranty. Had this issue with Mercedes. Gave me a bill for chasing down a problem that warranty would not cover. Makes sense from their standpoint, but not pleasant for the customer.

Maybe your videos can help them track down the issue, but from what I saw, I would be hard pressed to determine a resolution as well.

Understand your frustration, but a mechanic is going to have a hard time fixing something that is working perfectly when he looks at it. He can take your word for the problem, but can't get authorization to put in a bunch of new parts if he does not see what needs replacing to effect the fix.

Sounds like your car had a bunch of problems, the previous owner let go, and now you are stuck with getting everything up to snuff.

Maybe your videos can help them track down the issue, but from what I saw, I would be hard pressed to determine a resolution as well.

I work in IT so I completely understand their team of mind. This is just another one of those "it works all the sudden at the mechanic". I'm not upset because I'm sure people have groaned and moaned over far menial things. The service experience isn't perfect (who is?), but the few times I have had issues they replaced the fault for free under warranty or I would purchase the part and install it myself.

I absolutely love my Model S and can't even see myself in a 3 (sat in one at the SC) because of my love for the S. Despite all the nitpicky nonsense, this car has been a dream (and did I mention it looks BEAUTIFUL?!).

Funny sidebit, even though I told them not to install the $62 Tesla wipers, they did anyway. They admitted their error and deducted those costs from my invoice. Also, they did some sort of "rigidity test" on the AC and I have not had the chirping since. I may just have to ask them to do this remotely (if possible) if it comes back up.

Despite all my complaining, I walked away from the SC happy to have my Xerxes back!

And there lies part of the problem with service issues. People accept everything that Tesla does with a smile. So, why should Tesla prioritize making the experience better when many people are fine with the way it is.

Well, also mentioned in my previous post, it's annoying that it's still not "fixed" per se, but in the end I walked away with my bigger issues solved (door handle on rear door was semi-working, windscreen chattering in light rain) and brand new wipers they normally charge ~$70 for. Who wouldn't be happy in an outcome like that?

Plus, my loaner S smelled :x