Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my first SC appointment in Boston tomorrow. I got the standard text that says "For your convenience, transportation options are available, if needed."

I live 90 minutes away so I tried calling them to 100% confirm that they'll have a loaner. I couldn't get through to a live person.
I don't want to drive all the way there and get stiffed.
What do you all think the chances of them having a car for me are???

I have my first SC appointment in Boston tomorrow. I got the standard text that says "For your convenience, transportation options are available, if needed."

I live 90 minutes away so I tried calling them to 100% confirm that they'll have a loaner. I couldn't get through to a live person.
I don't want to drive all the way there and get stiffed.
What do you all think the chances of them having a car for me are???

Slim. "Transportation options" is likely "we will give you $150 in uber credits. I am only going by my local service center, who had enterprise rent a car on site, and had at least 10-15 loaners available prior to Covid 19. They stopped providing loaners completely, and only provide uber credits now.

If you MUST have a loaner car, you will need to call them. Listen VERY closely to the prompts, and pick the prompt for "question about car in service now" or something. I cant remember the exact verbiage but the general verbiage is asking about a car in service. Thats the only one that I know of that actually gets to a person, in the service center of your appointment.

When someone answers, tell them your concern. You will likely find out that they are only offering uber credits, or, alternatively, they may have loaner cars (I just doubt it). You should be prepared for the possibility that you will have to use uber, so have a plan B in your mind.

The above is my opinion if you are getting any service that does not automatically look like a multiple day service issue. If you have a multiple day service issue, they "may" have a loaner car available but you should not go there with the *expectation’s * that you WILL get one, without confirming it with someone.

You can also text back to the text thread they should have sent you to confirm your appointment with your concern... that actually goes to the service center too and they see it on their computers I think.

Wow thanks for the tip! I do recall that option and I will call back and try it.
I texted back twice to confirm a loaner and didn't get a response.
I am positive that my car will be there for the weekend.

Thank you!

No problem, good luck. They do see the texts you send, but they dont respond to them very often. The lack of response means to me that you likely will only be offered uber credits. I am curious to see how this comes out. I am hoping for the best (loaner for you), but totally expecting you to come back and say "they only offered me $300 of uber credits (more because you live farther)".

Like I said, be prepared for a plan B, whatever that is for you... either cancelling the appointment if you cant do without a loaner, etc. Hope I am wrong...

image.jpg
Picked up my service loaner from Sarasota this morning. An MX P90 that looks like it hasn’t been washed inside or out since it was new a few years ago . Windshield and front totally covered with bug splatter.

I’ll cut them some slack with all the Covid issues as of late. But I guarantee that in all my years Mercedes or BMW would never give me a car that had even 1 bug splat let alone hundreds.

Trust me, I am thankful that they had a loaner for me. Uber credits would’ve sucked. I didn’t complain I’ll just wash it and return it in much better condition for the next guy.

Reactions: Danny Brown
View attachment 539540 Picked up my service loaner from Sarasota this morning. An MX P90 that looks like it hasn’t been washed inside or out since it was new a few years ago . Windshield and front totally covered with bug splatter.

I’ll cut them some slack with all the Covid issues as of late. But I guarantee that in all my years Mercedes or BMW would never give me a car that had even 1 bug splat let alone hundreds.

Trust me, I am thankful that they had a loaner for me. Uber credits would’ve sucked. I didn’t complain I’ll just wash it and return it in much better condition for the next guy.
Wow tesla service leaves much to be desired.

Wow tesla service leaves much to be desired.

True, and I hope it gets better over time. It’s easy to complain about the several issues I’ve had, I still don’t want any other vehicle. I really enjoy the car and the technology they have built in.

Hopefully people don’t see my posts as complaining. I’m just trying to share information related to what I’m experiencing. I really do love FSD and so much about the ownership experience.

Reactions: XLR82XS
This is one of my biggest (and only) gripes with Tesla. My SC is about 30 minutes away, and I never know if I'll be getting a loaner until I get there. When I make the appointment I'm always very specific about my need for a loaner - Uber credits don't cut it for a single dad with no other vehicles. I always say that my schedule is wide open and I'm willing to reschedule for a different day if necessary.

So far I've been lucky, I've always gotten a loaner or a rental.

Slim. "Transportation options" is likely "we will give you $150 in uber credits. I am only going by my local service center, who had enterprise rent a car on site, and had at least 10-15 loaners available prior to Covid 19. They stopped providing loaners completely, and only provide uber credits now.

If you MUST have a loaner car, you will need to call them. Listen VERY closely to the prompts, and pick the prompt for "question about car in service now" or something. I cant remember the exact verbiage but the general verbiage is asking about a car in service. Thats the only one that I know of that actually gets to a person, in the service center of your appointment.

When someone answers, tell them your concern. You will likely find out that they are only offering uber credits, or, alternatively, they may have loaner cars (I just doubt it). You should be prepared for the possibility that you will have to use uber, so have a plan B in your mind.

The above is my opinion if you are getting any service that does not automatically look like a multiple day service issue. If you have a multiple day service issue, they "may" have a loaner car available but you should not go there with the *expectation’s * that you WILL get one, without confirming it with someone.

You can also text back to the text thread they should have sent you to confirm your appointment with your concern... that actually goes to the service center too and they see it on their computers I think.

The car in service option got me the service manager right away on the phone. Fantastic tip. Thank you!
He said right now they are giving loaners to everyone because Uber isn't operating by them anyway.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Reactions: jjrandorin
The car in service option got me the service manager right away on the phone. Fantastic tip. Thank you!
He said right now they are giving loaners to everyone because Uber isn't operating by them anyway.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Really happy to be proven wrong in this case, glad the tip helped :D

Reactions: toolman335
View attachment 539540 Picked up my service loaner from Sarasota this morning. An MX P90 that looks like it hasn’t been washed inside or out since it was new a few years ago . Windshield and front totally covered with bug splatter.

That looks like the P90D X I was using a few days ago. White?

Really happy to be proven wrong in this case, glad the tip helped :D

Got a red P85 S.
I'm not complaining at all. I wish more people said nice things about their service.
Saw a guy wipe down the inside of the loaner and drive it over to where I was parked. He flew out of the car and left the door open for me.
Very smooth process. The pandemic might actually be causing Tesla to provide better service lol.

Reactions: TRMS
At the my SC at Berkeley they told me the loaners are first come first serve, there was one time that I went there and they weren't able to provide a loaner even after I called the day before specifically asking for one. Each service center has a different amount of loaner cars, if there are different SC available go to the one with the most. i.e. I was told San Francisco has very few (15) as compared to San Rafael (40) or Berkeley but don't quote me on that. And generally making an early morning appointment will help with your chances and so far 5 out of 6 I was able to get one.

At the my SC at Berkeley they told me the loaners are first come first serve, there was one time that I went there and they weren't able to provide a loaner even after I called the day before specifically asking for one. Each service center has a different amount of loaner cars, if there are different SC available go to the one with the most. i.e. I was told San Francisco has very few (15) as compared to San Rafael (40) or Berkeley but don't quote me on that. And generally making an early morning appointment will help with your chances and so far 5 out of 6 I was able to get one.

Yes that's exactly why I scheduled a 7:45am appt.
The service manager said due to Uber not operating they are providing loaners to everyone who asks for one.
Again, good pandemic service lol.

Because of what you said I re-booked for a first thing in the morning. I hope so because I do NOT want to take an Uber during the covid.

Reactions: toolman335