Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center mess up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Evening folks,

I just picked up my car from the Princeton, NJ service center and it basically came out worst than what I brought it in for. Has this happened to anyone else? Not specifically the Princeton one but any service center.

This what it was in for:
  • Driver side headlight was not flush. It kind of overlaps the front bumper.
    • How I got it back: Headlight didn't even looked to have been worked on. I think what they try to do was bring in the side of the front bumper. The line between the front fender and front bumper is real tight. I could not fit my finger nail between it, while the passenger side the line is a lot bigger.
  • Door alignment was a little off wanted to see if they could fix it
    • How I got it back: Passenger side looks good, but the driver side, specifically the rear door is now protruding. It was a whole lot better
I made another appointment to get it looked at another one more local to me. The only reason why I took it to this one was because I wanted to get my PPF done asap and took the earliest appointment available to me. Now I'll probably just get the PPF done first and bring it in the other one because it isn't till 12/8...

IMG_1677.jpg IMG_1675.jpg IMG_1678.jpg IMG_1679.jpg

My SC would call all of these 'within spec'. Did you get to talk to the technician when you dropped off the car? When I took mine, the tech came out with the service advisor and went over each of the issues and whether it was going to be fixed. They also put a small tape on places that need fixing.

If these are minor issues, my recommendation is to just ignore them. It is very hard to bring it to perfection and depending on the expertise of the technician, it may make it worse.

I had a similar issue with trying to fix my front door handles, that are sunken into the body of my Model Y. I have brought into the Los Angelese Centinela SC, they said it was within spec. I had a mobile team take a look, and they said it is fixable, they ordered new door handles for me. I brought my car in yesterday, and a different service advisor said it is within Tesla specs. I had him look at a Model Y on the lot, the front door handles are flush to the body and not sunken like mine. The advisor said we will try to fix it. I left my car there to see if they can do anything. Keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix them. The VIN for my Model Y is 51XXXX

Good Evening folks,

I just picked up my car from the Princeton, NJ service center and it basically came out worst than what I brought it in for. Has this happened to anyone else? Not specifically the Princeton one but any service center.

This what it was in for:
  • Driver side headlight was not flush. It kind of overlaps the front bumper.
    • How I got it back: Headlight didn't even looked to have been worked on. I think what they try to do was bring in the side of the front bumper. The line between the front fender and front bumper is real tight. I could not fit my finger nail between it, while the passenger side the line is a lot bigger.
  • Door alignment was a little off wanted to see if they could fix it
    • How I got it back: Passenger side looks good, but the driver side, specifically the rear door is now protruding. It was a whole lot better
I made another appointment to get it looked at another one more local to me. The only reason why I took it to this one was because I wanted to get my PPF done asap and took the earliest appointment available to me. Now I'll probably just get the PPF done first and bring it in the other one because it isn't till 12/8...

View attachment 607285 View attachment 607284 View attachment 607286 View attachment 607287

My goodness!

I have a 2021 Model Y Performance on order and I was worried about fit and finish!

As a 2015 Model S owner, and married to a 2016 Model X owner, I am so happy that this is where we are. These tolerances are SO MUCH BETTER than our cars, it makes me much more confident in the quality that I can expect for my Y. I'm not downplaying your concerns, and I hope that you get this fixed, but if this is what you are posting about, then all my prayers are answered!

I think you might have to adjust your expectations..

I’ve been in a few times to correct similar issues but it causes wear and tear on the car and sometimes things get worse. When they adjusted my doors, one didn’t seat properly and increased wind noise and the other adjustment caused the glass on the door to contact the glass on the car..

It definitely won’t be perfect.. just need to seek out acceptance :)