Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center refuses to do anything about paint mismatch on new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First post here. I took delivery of my new white pearl Model Y in the glaring bright sunlight and did not notice the paint mismatch between the plastic and the metal panels. To be honest, I heard this issue was solved by Tesla by now. It is really noticeable in slightly less glaring daylight and in artificial lighting in the garage. I took it into the Service Center for them to look at and they flat out just started giving me the company line about how that is normal. I call BS. The community I live in, everyone seems to own a white Tesla. If I take a walk I usually encounter at least 8 parked Tesla's around the neighborhood. Maybe 1 out of 10 has a slight mismatch but nothing near as bad as mine. The SC refuses to repaint and says that replacing the bumper will possibly end up getting an even worse match. It's 2024 and a few of the posts here are a bit old on the matter, what's my next move? Try another service center? Get a free consultation from a lemon lawyer?
Thanks for any advice.

It's 2024 and a few of the posts here are a bit old on the matter, what's my next move?

I dont think anything has changed as far as Tesla' position on paint issues, so whatever you are finding in the older threads on this topic is probably still relevant.

I think if it were me and I was really upset about it, I would try to get a professional second opinion from a body shop on whether they also agreed with me about the paint mismatch. I would likely go to a Tesla approved third party shop instead of a Tesla one, and If they said they saw the paint mismatch, I would see if I could get them to put it in writing (like with an official quote on what it would take to fix it).

If they didnt see it, or didnt think it was something they could fix, I would probably let it go.

If I could get them to put it in writing I would take that to Tesla and ask for it to be fixed, showing them a quote from a tesla approved body shop that agreed with my opinion that it needed to be fixed (or could be fixed).