Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service: What can be done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually a good question. One problem I had was it took several days for a minor repair because I wanted a state inspection done (Tyson’s now does them). Dumb me did this at the end of the month so they had a bunch of deliveries to do which took precedence. Something to remember.

It does seem like you make an appointment and you are on time and the car doesn’t get touched for 24 hours often, though. No idea why they can’t tell you if they aren’t ready to bring it in the next day or later the same day or whatever. If they are only going to give Uber credits, I’d like to know exactly when they are really ready for it.

Lets skip the reason that soooooo many Model 3's ( Tesla's )require service.

1. Can anything be done about the length of time required to get an appointment?

2. What can be done about the length of time needed for repair once the car it at service?

The only thing that can be done is for Tesla to invest in their infrastructure, more service centers, more employees.

I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Here’s an idea. Someone could develop an app or shared database to crowdsource Service Center stats and show red, yellow, green status by time frame and service center the important metrics, eg scheduling lead time, time to complete service... with ability to drill down and see each data point with specifics on the repair etc. If enough members reported info there, instead of carping about it on forum, you’d have real data. I suspect it would show which centers are more reliable when. Only useful if enough people report, but there’s precedent, such as the similar app that exists for software version info that I think @HankLloydRight was instrumental in.

if the energy spent to anecdotally lament on this forum is harnessed, all kinds of things can be done.

Lets skip the reason that soooooo many Model 3's ( Tesla's )require service.

1. Can anything be done about the length of time required to get an appointment?

2. What can be done about the length of time needed for repair once the car it at service?

People show up with lists of things to check on their new M3 and so inevitably find something. Literally lists, with over a hundred items. If other customers did that for other brands, they would find just as many things if not more. On your last new car purchase did you look at panel gaps? Answer = no, because that is not rational. There are currently several threads of people taking their car in because they 'lost' 5% of their range even though it is easily found by google that is a balancing issue not a range issue. Imagine if everyone who didn't get rated mpg in their Audi took it in for service? There was a post a couple weeks ago about someone demanding tesla replace the plastic lining inside the trunk because it had a scratch...After a week of ownership (and kid duty) that piece on my car looked like it survived a grenade attack.

Tesla has its issues, but most of these new car 'service visits' are for dumb things that don't matter. Bloombergs' quality survey showed that Teslas are actually well above industry standards for quality on important things and basically, Tesla owners are a bunch of whiners.If something important actually happens to your car, tesla typically fixes it within normal industry timelines and continues to improve.

That isn't going to change. If tesla paid for more service techs then they would just be paying more money to fix dumb things. Tell people to stop being OCD on paint work and whatnot and then service centers will be like the maytag repair man.

People show up with lists of things to check on their new M3 and so inevitably find something. Literally lists, with over a hundred items. If other customers did that for other brands, they would find just as many things if not more. On your last new car purchase did you look at panel gaps? Answer = no, because that is not rational. There are currently several threads of people taking their car in because they 'lost' 5% of their range even though it is easily found by google that is a balancing issue not a range issue. Imagine if everyone who didn't get rated mpg in their Audi took it in for service? There was a post a couple weeks ago about someone demanding tesla replace the plastic lining inside the trunk because it had a scratch...After a week of ownership (and kid duty) that piece on my car looked like it survived a grenade attack.

Tesla has its issues, but most of these new car 'service visits' are for dumb things that don't matter. Bloombergs' quality survey showed that Teslas are actually well above industry standards for quality on important things and basically, Tesla owners are a bunch of whiners.If something important actually happens to your car, tesla typically fixes it within normal industry timelines and continues to improve.

That isn't going to change. If tesla paid for more service techs then they would just be paying more money to fix dumb things. Tell people to stop being OCD on paint work and whatnot and then service centers will be like the maytag repair man.
I'm paying 60k for a car, I am absolutely going to check for panel gaps and alignment issues. I might not care about scratches in the trunk, but if my interior is scratched up, that is a problem for me.

I don't understand why people are so defensive about this. You work hard for your money and are giving it to another company, why don't you want to hold them accountable for what they're delivering to you? This isn't a 20k Civic (which btw was flawless when I received it new), this is a 60k car that shouldn't have any issues.

So how would that data help? How many people have a choice of service center outside of California? And where would that data go that Tesla already doesn’t track?

Sounds nice but I’m not sure of the point.
Wait. In CHICAGO I have 4 or 5 centers within an hours drive.

real data vs anecdotal noise helps us know facts and that helps Tesla know we know facts.

Exactly. This is the most whiny group of car owners in the history of cars.

That's what happens when a brand sells a cheaper car to people that can't afford them. These people have wanted Teslas for years, and now can finally get approved for an SR model on a 72 month loan. They're stretched so thin financially that they end up resenting the car because of the financial problems it's causing them. They wake up and see the car reporting a range loss of 3 miles and lose their mind.
How can the most valuable thing I've ever bought not be perfect? How could this happen? I ruined my finances for this car and it's already dying.... A lot of people here don't have Tesla money. Period.
Toyota doesn't have this problem because people know exactly what to expect. You buy a Dodge Journey and in 3 years it's literally worth 30% of what you paid, but they knew that going in, and that's why they got the monster rebate on the front. Those people don't say they'll never buy another Dodge, they know why they're in that situation.

I have a friend that is a service writer for Mercedes. He says BY FAR the worst complainers are the CLA owners. They come in high and mighty demanding loaner cars for oil changes, and they complain that every single issue is the end of the world for them.
Same problem, people buying cars they can't afford and thinking they've got Mercedes money.

Finally, someone said it!!

I totally agree with this statement. I've been buying Mercedes Benz for the last 5 years prior my Model 3 and this is the first time I've ever seen people whining for little things even thou we sure paid more than 60k for each MBZ.

I've seen brand new Mercedes, Jaguar, Maseratis around work with huge panel gaps but no one care about it since we buy a car because its cool and the fun experience nor to waste our time inspecting every little details that we can live with.

I believe most of the complain comes from buyers that quite rarely spend more than 50k on a car hence they feel that their Tesla should be their "perfect car". Bad news, humans made these cars and we are not near perfect hence you need to expect issues with it. Of course, people pay for something to be good but from time to time there will be issues because that's how life is. Just focus on other things in life and move on.

Tesla service center issues are mostly due to people taking their car (and taking the service center time) on small little things that should not be relevant.

Anyhow, good post gotta say.

Reactions: alsetym

That's what happens when a brand sells a cheaper car to people that can't afford them. These people have wanted Teslas for years, and now can finally get approved for an SR model on a 72 month loan. They're stretched so thin financially that they end up resenting the car because of the financial problems it's causing them. They wake up and see the car reporting a range loss of 3 miles and lose their mind.
How can the most valuable thing I've ever bought not be perfect? How could this happen? I ruined my finances for this car and it's already dying.... A lot of people here don't have Tesla money. Period.
Toyota doesn't have this problem because people know exactly what to expect. You buy a Dodge Journey and in 3 years it's literally worth 30% of what you paid, but they knew that going in, and that's why they got the monster rebate on the front. Those people don't say they'll never buy another Dodge, they know why they're in that situation.

I have a friend that is a service writer for Mercedes. He says BY FAR the worst complainers are the CLA owners. They come in high and mighty demanding loaner cars for oil changes, and they complain that every single issue is the end of the world for them.
Same problem, people buying cars they can't afford and thinking they've got Mercedes money.
lol, really? I should print this post and hang it up for when I want to show my kid how crappy some people can really be.

You should honestly be ashamed of yourself for thinking that way. That's a lot of arrogance.

Totally agree with this.

lol, really? I should print this post and hang it up for when I want to show my kid how crappy some people can really be.

You should honestly be ashamed of yourself for thinking that way. That's a lot of arrogance.

Perhaps this should teach your kid that the world doesn't go around him and he's probably not as special as you may make him believe.

Things get earned and if people can't afford a car, they should wait until they are in a better financial situation instead of stretching themselves and looking for any minor detail to complain about.

Damn, I really hope I never run into most of the people in this thread. This is a very toxic thread and I don't ever want my family thinking this is what the Tesla community is actually like.

I hope you all become better people over time by realizing that just because you have a ton of money, not everyone does. People work hard for their money and want to take pride in what they do with it. They do view purchasing a Tesla as something exciting for them and they're proud of it, so it's absolutely reasonable that they'd be disappointed when the build quality isn't what they expected.

Perhaps this should teach your kid that the world doesn't go around him and he's probably not as special as you may make him believe.

Things get earned and if people can't afford a car, they should wait until they are in a better financial situation instead of stretching themselves and looking for any minor detail to complain about.
Your first sentence is terrible and has nothing to do with this thread. It's odd that you projected that onto me. Please reflect on that statement to see how terrible it is that you made it, and ask yourself why you did.

Things do get earned, which is the whole point of this. People work very hard to earn their money, and when they decide to spend a good chunk of it on a car, they want to make sure that car is worth it. That is why they're so passionate about it being as they expected. You literally just proved your own point.

Damn, I really hope I never run into most of the people in this thread. This is a very toxic thread and I don't ever want my family thinking this is what the Tesla community is actually like.

I hope you all become better people over time by realizing that just because you have a ton of money, not everyone does. People work hard for their money and want to take pride in what they do with it. They do view purchasing a Tesla as something exciting for them and they're proud of it, so it's absolutely reasonable that they'd be disappointed when the build quality isn't what they expected.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the real world is a harsh place. Not everyone is born with tons of money, most people work their life for it and that's how people learn not to take things for granted nor to be entitle just because you think you deserve something.

People can be proud of buying a Tesla but that doesn't explain that they need to complain to any little detail nor to stretch their finances just because they want that exciting in their life... if you can't afford it, why bother?

As someone mentioned above, does anyone check their vehicles when buying a Toyota or something like that? I surely never did when buying my MBZs.