Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Bay Area Full-Coverage PPF quotes and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marusan, I don't think full ceramic is a good idea on PPF as well because PPF is too soft and true ceramic coating forms a glass layer which is rigid. If all you want is slick surface and easy to clean please try out CarGuys Liquid Wax. It is very easy to apply and nothing sticks to it.

That was kind of my thinking, as well. I referred to it as the "crunchy coating."

There's also the fact that the film I chose (Llumar/Suntek) already has a hydrophobic layer. That said, I've been having a rough time with sap. It cleans off if you get it fast enough, but if it stays on too long, it can temporarily cause an issue in the film (it looks like it didn't get cleaned off). Fortunately, it seems to resolve after a day, so I supposed the self-healing layer is involved in that.

the coatings have been tested by suntek films and does not hinder the performance of the film in any way...so coating on top of the film will add additional gloss, easy cleaning, car will stay cleaner longer as dirt and grime will not stick as easily, nor as strongly.

5k for a one step and full body is a decent price depending on the area. I have seen some people upwards of 8k, and even another shop at 10k. They are in higher end/housing areas.

There are a lot of factors that come to play with pricing obviously...
prep work
quality of install
kit vs custom trimmed
film used
coating or not coated
customer service
willing to redo
managed expectations (nothing is perfect)
location (the rent/mortgage price on the building)

Best bet is to find a shop, go talk with the owner and hear how their process goes, check out the work, and decide from there the price you are willing to pay. There is a price point for everyone. Some will pay 10k for an install where someone else will only spend 5k...quality might be about the same from both in the end...on the other hand, a 10-20% increase from shop A to shop B might be justified as well because its higher quality (5000 to 6000).

Elite Auto Films in San Jose (near 101 and 880) did a full Xpel Ultimate Plus on my X. They are always working on Teslas, among other high end cars. They do custom kits, so the the edges get wrapped. I will eventually have them do my chrome delete and ceramic coating.

Last time i was there they were working on a few Model 3s. Including one that was getting a full vinyl wrap.

It's pretty good. First off, they do pre-cut, so you're going to see more edges than you would for a custom cut, but it's way better than the 60% more OC Detailing charges (I'd heard they were around $8K for a full wrap -- ouch!). Shawn (the owner) cares about customers. Case in point, I'd mentioned that I wanted my logos removed and reinstalled on top, but they cut around them (possibly some miscommunication); they're going to redo those two pieces and didn't even hesitate to offer. They also worked hard to correct the paint -- the $5K flat rate only included one-stage correction, but they did two-stage for a portion of the fender that had overspray (and where Tesla had apparently tried to wet-sand it). Unfortunately, there were still a couple of fisheyes that couldn't be fixed (and I'm not giving it back to Tesla for that).

They also don't up-sell. Flat price was $5K. I asked about what they thought about ceramic coating, and he didn't really feel like it was all that the other detailers claim it is. He said there were still concerns that it might interfere the self-healing layer.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Obviously, time will tell how the quality of the install was. I have a few spots peeling up, so we'll see how they address those. They're mainly on the driver's rocker panel, mirror edges, and door handles. The underside of the hood needs some work, too, but that's a tough spot.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I used Invisiguard in the past and had an overall good experience. Jermey does good work, but one reason why his rates are lower is that he uses pre-cut cut kits so he doesn't wrap around all edges. The downside to this is that there are parts of the wrap where instead of using one piece, there are two pieces and you can see the seams. At half the price of some of the other shops, I certainly can't complain because you can't really notice it unless you look real close but having the wrap for over a year now there are parts where it is starting to lift and I have to press it down after I wash to make sure water doesn't get in. For my Model 3 I decided to go with the group buy since they use custom kits at similar prices so I'm hoping I won't be seeing the same thing.

I used Invisiguard in the past and had an overall good experience. Jermey does good work, but one reason why his rates are lower is that he uses pre-cut cut kits so he doesn't wrap around all edges. The downside to this is that there are parts of the wrap where instead of using one piece, there are two pieces and you can see the seams. At half the price of some of the other shops, I certainly can't complain because you can't really notice it unless you look real close but having the wrap for over a year now there are parts where it is starting to lift and I have to press it down after I wash to make sure water doesn't get in. For my Model 3 I decided to go with the group buy since they use custom kits at similar prices so I'm hoping I won't be seeing the same thing.

68 Auto Detail had a cutting machine. So, I wouldn't say they were using "kits", but it definitely looks the same.

I happened to walk by a car yesterday (non-Tesla, for the record) that had a matte film. The person I was with initially thought it was a paint job, until I finally spotted a seam on the mirror. I will say, the edge work was *far* better. I couldn't see any edges at all where body panels joined. Mirrors are tricky, though.

I'm still happy with mine, even though I can see the edges. Just not worth the extra $2-3K more.

Last edited:
Hey there everyone, late to this thread, sorry. I know we aren't in the bay area, but we aren't that far away. (less than a 2 hour drive) We're located on the east side of Sacramento in El Dorado Hills, CA. We are an authorized Xpel retailer and installer. We offer full wrap with Xpel Ultimate Plus for $5,500 or full wrap with Xpel STEALTH for $6,500. Either option comes with Free Full Tint coverage of all the glass with Xpel Prime Plus tint any shade you choose. We do 99% custom/bulk cutting of the clear bra to minimize the seems and panel edge lines. We also roll every panel edge that we can. We ALWAYS remove the badges before applying the PPF. Some clients want to keep them off, others have us reapply them afterward.

We do each vehicle 1 car at a time. We bring in your car and give it our ENTIRE attention from start to finish. We don't treat your car like "just another Tesla". We are a small shop with extreme attention to detail. Usually we are only booked 2 - 3 weeks in advance. Installs take about 4-7 days, on average. Each clear bra gets washed, clay bar, and polished to correct any small errors in the paint before the clear bra is installed.

We also offer ceramic coatings, color change wraps, and chrome delete. We work with other local shops and can facilitate wheel powder coating or paint too.

Email or call us for other prices, packages or to set up an appointment.

[email protected]
916-358-3850
www.PremierAutoTint.com
Premier Auto Tint
Premier Auto Tint (@premierautotint) • Instagram photos and videos

Reactions: mcbarnet007
SS Customs in Redwood City

We have 1,000s of happily served customers who continually bring back their vehicles to us.
We've also seen a huge influx of Teslas in the past months.

We offer: full ceramic pro, custom vinyl wraps/ color changes, chrome deletes, ppf, wheel and caliper powder coating.

:D Feel free to shoot us any questions here: (650) 562.7034 :D

68 Auto Detail had a cutting machine. So, I wouldn't say they were using "kits", but it definitely looks the same.

I happened to walk by a car yesterday (non-Tesla, for the record) that had a matte film. The person I was with initially thought it was a paint job, until I finally spotted a seam on the mirror. I will say, the edge work was *far* better. I couldn't see any edges at all where body panels joined. Mirrors are tricky, though.

I'm still happy with mine, even though I can see the edges. Just not worth the extra $2-3K more.

Hey marusan!

Where did you get getting your PPF or ceramic coating?

I am interested in doing ceramic coating at least (not sure about PPF yet). Was looking into supreme detailers based on their yelp reviews, but would still like to know if there are better options from any first hand reviews on this site.

Ideally OCDetailing would be the best, but they have a long wait time and they are a lot more expensive.

Thanks!

I'm looking to have my MCR Model 3 wrapped and would love if folks who also did this could share their quotes and experiences.

At delivery, I mentioned that I was looking into this, and the person who handled my delivery agreed that it was a good idea, suggested that I wait two months for the paint to cure (eek -- lots of opportunity for damage), and, "don't get gouged." He mentioned the ubiquitous OC Detailing, said they did a good job and got a lot of business due to their proximity to the factory, but dramatically overcharged.

I've contacted two folks in the south bay (near where I work). I'm not really impressed so far, particularly the flat charge model (especially given that a Model 3 has so much glass that doesn't need to be covered).

Supreme Detail Works
Sent me a full menu in PDF form.​
Full body coverage $6850
Includes "full" paint correction, 10 year warranty​

68 Auto Detail
Interacted via Yelp​
Full body coverage $5000
Includes decontamination (wash, clay bar, 1 stage paint correction). Llumar Platinum or Suntek Ultra (upon request)​

I just put out a quote request for Invisiguard in San Carlos, whom I've heard some good thing about.
I know I am a bit very late here as I just came across this post.

We would be happy to welcome you here in Mum Sports. I assure you that our team will give you the highest quality work that's possible we are just located at 41431 Albrae St, Fremont, CA 94538. Also, we are offering 10% OFF for all TMC forum members. Here's our Tel: 510-462-3797 Looking forward to gaining you as a customer.