Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Bay Area Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think occasionally there will be those of us that pay who have to pop off in comments like those because we are so jealous of those who have Free Supercharging. Plus those guys always leave their cars on until they are full, taking twice as long at the charger as they need to just because it's free. Oops! See, I did it...

-Randy

I think occasionally there will be those of us that pay who have to pop off in comments like those because we are so jealous of those who have Free Supercharging. Plus those guys always leave their cars on until they are full, taking twice as long at the charger as they need to just because it's free. Oops! See, I did it...

-Randy

To be clear, I'm not jealous, I also had unlimited free SC but decided to remove it to get the 5K refund offered by Tesla to P3D owners. I can charge at home which is fare more convenient than trying to save $.

I'm really happy to see that the Bay Area is getting tons of love regarding new SC install, but it's far exceeding the infrastructure needed to cover the long trips between San Francisco and other cities.

I'm really happy to see that the Bay Area is getting tons of love regarding new SC install, but it's far exceeding the infrastructure needed to cover the long trips between San Francisco and other cities.

If you're just passing through, you're correct but the registration numbers in the Bay Area say different - the infrastructure is definitely needed & I was wondering when the peninsula from San Mateo to SF was going to get more SuCh's.

The 40 in Daly City is nice & now this one in SSF will help alleviate SuCh'r traffic/waiting

More Superchargers may be needed in the Bay area, but the Bay area already has by far the highest concentration of superchargers by population. Here in Seattle we're pretty EV-rich too with a metro of 4 million people. The number of Superchargers currently within 45 miles of Downtown Seattle? 3 supercharger sites with each having 10 or so stalls.

Last edited:
More Superchargers may be needed in the Bay area, but the Bay area already has by far the highest concentration of superchargers by population. Here in Seattle we're pretty EV-rich too with a metro of 4 million people. The number of Superchargers currently within 45 miles of Downtown Seattle? 3 supercharger sites with each having 10 or so stalls.

LA is also underserved for local needs.

If you're just passing through, you're correct but the registration numbers in the Bay Area say different - the infrastructure is definitely needed & I was wondering when the peninsula from San Mateo to SF was going to get more SuCh's.

The 40 in Daly City is nice & now this one in SSF will help alleviate SuCh'r traffic/waiting

With some people in the Bay Area commuting multiple hours (for example, from Tracy, Manteca, or farther), these Superchargers may be what is needed to make some of these commutes, especially with the Standard Range 3. San Francisco is a wild card as to when they will get Superchargers. The area in SSF where this charger would be is on the industrial park side of the city with many biotech companies, such as Genentech, so this could be like the Costco gas station nearby where the stations get flooded with commuters in the evening.

With some people in the Bay Area commuting multiple hours (for example, from Tracy, Manteca, or farther), these Superchargers may be what is needed to make some of these commutes, especially with the Standard Range 3. San Francisco is a wild card as to when they will get Superchargers. The area in SSF where this charger would be is on the industrial park side of the city with many biotech companies, such as Genentech, so this could be like the Costco gas station nearby where the stations get flooded with commuters in the evening.
If you live in Manteca and work in SF, the standard range Model 3 is probably not the car for you!

If you live in Manteca and work in SF, the standard range Model 3 is probably not the car for you!

Why not? Personally I wouldn't want to do that commute at all. But according to evtripplanner it'd be about 60-RM each way. Headwinds might take that up to 80-RM, but then again slow traffic could take it back down. I'd think the worst case for SR would be 70% of range daily: 90% to 20%. Many days would probably be better, and in a pinch you could stop in Pleasanton or Livermore. So I think SR would be fine, as long as you can charge at home every night.

EV Trip Planner

An LR might let you get away with charging every other night. But you could end up pretty close to zero with two high-usage days in a row. Mostly I think it'd just help with range anxiety.

That said, I wouldn't want to rely on Superchargers for daily use with a long commute, because that'd add yet more time on the road every day. The best place for daily charging is at home.

That said, I wouldn't want to rely on Superchargers for daily use with a long commute, because that'd add yet more time on the road every day. The best place for daily charging is at home.
And second best place for charging is at work. I have a neighbor who is getting a Model 3 in a few weeks. It will be his first EV. I advised him to set up home charging ASAP, which would be relatively inexpensive given he has a 200A panel at the front left corner of his garage, and has room in the panel to add a circuit. He said he has charging for free at work. I told him it can sound like a good plan to charge at work but given the rapid adoption of EVs in the Bay Area, workplace chargers can be in high demand. And Bay Area Superchargers are very busy!

In 5+ years of Tesla ownership I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve used a Bay Area Supercharger. Home charging is one of the benefits of EV ownership that is profoundly unappreciated by people who have never owned an EV. Of course not everyone is able to set up home charging and they have no choice but to either charge at their workplace or Supercharger or use public chargers. But over time it will get easier.

The Bay Area Supercharger situation is likely to always be challenging for Tesla because of the use value of land and the increasing volume of Teslas on the road. Yesterday on just a short drive I swear I saw a Model 3 once every minute.

Last edited:
Really? Pretty much every Model S or X owner that bought up through late last year do, either directly or via the referral program.
Yes really, pretty much all of those owners paid for it in the price of the vehicle.
It’s not their fault tesla gambled and lost

The fact is tesla charged what they thought was fair and those customers paid it, whether or not it turned out to be fair for tesla is not on the customer.
To say they have free supercharging is incorrect, they paid for it, it was added to the price of the car.

I was one of the last to receive free supercharging with my MS purchase just over a year ago, and the San Carlos location is very close to my home. Rarely do I ever charge there (mostly when the kids want Chipotle or Wingstop!), as despite being free and local, it's still significantly easier to charge at home. A normal day's commute and sundry trips costs about $1 to charge at home--not really worth the effort & time...

Reactions: jboy210