Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing google destination and setting Home location issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am generally very happy with my Tesla LR (MIC) apart from one service center issues (intermittent fault with computer).
However today I was annoyed when sharing a destination from Google maps on my android to the Tesla and the car went to the wrong place - by about 400 meters. I assume this is because it shares a post code or an address and not longitude/latitude info. It confused the hell out of me to start with as I had not been there before so it took a while to work out what happened (I was looking for a very small car park on a tiny country lane).
This seems related to another significant weakness on setting your home location which has to be an address in google maps and not longitude/latitude from map. My address is not select-able in Google maps (my road is not correct/up to date) so I can't set exact location of my home. This generally does not matter but does for the Sentry mode (using exclude home option) to work properly. It never thinks I am home as I can't set home accurately.
And before someone says you can do this using your finger on the map - this still ends up resolving to the nearest address known by google, which in my case it not where you marked on the map (as no address is there according to google).
Silly issues which I would have thought should not be difficult to fix.

I think the share function only sends the first part of the post code. I've been caught out with this too.

For your home location, on the phone app or via a web browser (probably not the one in the car) you can right click a position on google maps, add a missing place and fill in the required details. Google then review and once updated, you should be able to pin point your home address on the navigation. I believe the pins and address information are live on the cars navigation, even if the underlying layer is not.

Reactions: justinhow