Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing Map Destination to Tesla App Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Droschke

Mar 8, 2015
Future
Have not used it for a while, but tried this morning multiple times and it keeps erroring out with a message "Error, there was a problem sending location to your vehicle. Try again". Both Waze and Google map fail when sharing.

Are others experiencing this too?

OTA Update: 2018.50.6
Android App: 3.8.2

Update:
This is very strange. If I search for the address in Google Maps and try to share it with the Tesla app, it fails with the error message above. But if I add the very same address to my Google Contacts app and then search that contact in the Google maps, I can then share its location with the Tesla app successfully. So, I got it working but in a painful way.

Reactions: DrTaras
I'm a recent Tesla owner and I confess I have no idea what you guys are discussing. Are you saying that I should be able to search a location in Waze or Google Maps on my iPhone and somehow send that to my Tesla app? I con't see anything on my Tesla app regarding that. Is there some advantage to doing that vs. searching verbally in the car once I'm in the drivers seat? Thanks for sharing!

I'm a recent Tesla owner and I confess I have no idea what you guys are discussing. Are you saying that I should be able to search a location in Waze or Google Maps on my iPhone and somehow send that to my Tesla app? I con't see anything on my Tesla app regarding that. Is there some advantage to doing that vs. searching verbally in the car once I'm in the drivers seat? Thanks for sharing!

Yes. It's something of a non-obvious feature, but can be pretty valuable.

Find a destination in Google Maps, and you'll often see a "Share" button by the site description. Click "Share," and along with messaging apps and such, it will offer the Tesla app.

The Tesla app will send it to its attached car.

• Helpful
Reactions: maximizese
I’ve had trouble in the past with my Tesla not accepting shared addresses, and it has always been address-specific (i.e. I can pick a diferent address and it will work every time, but the address that fails also fails consistently). I think there is a problem when the format of the address is not compatible with what Tesla expects. Unfortunately, it doesn’t give a sensible error, but just says that the sharing failed.

I’ve had trouble in the past with my Tesla not accepting shared addresses, and it has always been address-specific (i.e. I can pick a diferent address and it will work every time, but the address that fails also fails consistently). I think there is a problem when the format of the address is not compatible with what Tesla expects. Unfortunately, it doesn’t give a sensible error, but just says that the sharing failed.

My experience is the same as yours regarding certain addresses not successfully being shared with the car. However, sharing the coordinates of the same address worked for me.

I encountered this error for the first time this morning, from Google Maps for every address I tried. For me the fix was to open the Tesla app (which was closed, not in memory even in the background). Then every address I tried worked just fine, even after I closed the Tesla app (ie swiped it away and out of memory).

Google Maps version 5.17.4
Tesla app v. 3.8.4 build 367
Tesla v9.0 2019.8.5 3aaa23d
iOS 12.2

Hope that helps someone with the same issue.

Edit : My error message was slightly different than the OP's. The error I received was along the lines of "your vehicle does not support sharing location from the mobile app " or words to that effect.

Last edited:
I'm in Norway and have tried countless time to share different locations to the car (via the Tesla app), but have not once experienced it actually succeeding. I have not experimented with sharing from different sources, just tried Google Maps (on a Galaxy S9/Android).

My guess is it's down to just one or two root causes:

- when I share coordinates (latitude/longitude), I bet Google Maps uses a decimal point that's culture-sensitive. In other words, they look for a punctuation mark, but there is just a comma character. This would be trivial to fix.

- not sure there is a second reason, but IF google maps ever share addresses *without* also giving the coordinates (but this does seem like a very stupid thing to do, so I am not convinced it is possible), then it may simply be down to the fact that addresses are formatted in all sorts of ways in different places. They were never meant to be machine-readable, and even within a single country there is often many ways to present an address. (In Norway alone, even the *formalized* addresses used in public registers can take at least three different forms.)

For half a century programmers have continued to make the incredibly basic mistake of using *varying* representations of the *same* information, when everyone knows what they *should* do is have an invariant representation everywhere except when presenting information in the user interface. (This is also why if you save an Excel spreadsheet as CSV (COMMA-separated values) in Europe, it will put semicolons instead of commas in the file; so if you send the file to someone in the US, they can open it, but it is incorrectly presented. And vice versa.)

I'm in Norway and have tried countless time to share different locations to the car (via the Tesla app), but have not once experienced it actually succeeding. I have not experimented with sharing from different sources, just tried Google Maps (on a Galaxy S9/Android).

My guess is it's down to just one or two root causes:

- when I share coordinates (latitude/longitude), I bet Google Maps uses a decimal point that's culture-sensitive. In other words, they look for a punctuation mark, but there is just a comma character. This would be trivial to fix.

- not sure there is a second reason, but IF google maps ever share addresses *without* also giving the coordinates (but this does seem like a very stupid thing to do, so I am not convinced it is possible), then it may simply be down to the fact that addresses are formatted in all sorts of ways in different places. They were never meant to be machine-readable, and even within a single country there is often many ways to present an address. (In Norway alone, even the *formalized* addresses used in public registers can take at least three different forms.)

For half a century programmers have continued to make the incredibly basic mistake of using *varying* representations of the *same* information, when everyone knows what they *should* do is have an invariant representation everywhere except when presenting information in the user interface. (This is also why if you save an Excel spreadsheet as CSV (COMMA-separated values) in Europe, it will put semicolons instead of commas in the file; so if you send the file to someone in the US, they can open it, but it is incorrectly presented. And vice versa.)

Does it work if the Tesla app is running in the background?

1) How do you find the coordinates from a WAZE address?

I use Google map to find the coordinates, not sure how to do it with Waze.

2) Is this "sharing" just to share the address/coordinates but NOT the route, because sharing the Waze ROUTE is what I was hoping for

You share the destination address/coordinates. You do not share a route. The calculated route is done by the car's NAV system and that's what you depend on.

Reactions: DrTaras
I used Google Maps to plot out a loop route through the North Cascades Loop. I tried to push it up to my Model X and the app said it worked but the car ignored it. I tried a simple route to Home Depot. That worked instantly. I expect it might have to do with the complexity of the route. I'm going to try to break the route down into smaller segments and send the one at a time.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I used Google Maps to plot out a loop route through the North Cascades Loop. I tried to push it up to my Model X and the app said it worked but the car ignored it. I tried a simple route to Home Depot. That worked instantly. I expect it might have to do with the complexity of the route. I'm going to try to break the route down into smaller segments and send the one at a time.
You can't send a entire route to your Tesla. Only the destination address and the Tesla calculates the route.

Reactions: Droschke