Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping Model S in Enclosed Trailer - Worries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hired a company to ship my Model S in an enclosed trailer across the country. As far as I’m aware, I just need to put the car into Towing mode. Is there anything else I should do or be aware of? I will ensure it has a full charge before it leaves.

I hired a company to ship my Model S in an enclosed trailer across the country. As far as I’m aware, I just need to put the car into Towing mode. Is there anything else I should do or be aware of? I will ensure it has a full charge before it leaves.
I thought towing mode was only if you wanted to move it unpowered. You would probably want it in park and strapped down.

My Model S gets picked up in 2 days for a cross country transport, can you guys confirm these things?

1) Shipping in an ENCLOSED trailer is OK. It's unclear exactly if Tesla's definition of "flatbed" includes an enclosed trailer.

2) I should disable self leveling (as explained here: Instructions For Transporters - Tesla Model S Owner's Manual [Page 150]) and
NOT activate Tow Mode (since Tow Mode would keep the car in neutral which would be bad).

I'm hoping the shipping company knows this stuff, but I want to be familiar with it as well. Thanks!

Im interested in shipping my car and saw this older thread. Would you mind sharing with me what company you ended up using? Im just inundated with the amount of companies online and cant tell which ones are legit vs scam. Thanks.

Though I'm not the OP, I used USHIP to ship a motorcycle to my house from New Orleans. You can see the ratings of the carriers and an expected price before you solicit quotes. I would do it again. Keep in mind that an enclosed trailer will cost significantly more than open air transport.

I’ve done this a couple of times. The car will go to sleep fairly quickly and doesn’t self level in sleep anyway.

Sadly you also won’t be able to track its location when it’s in sleep. You’ll see it just when/if they have to wake it up to move it to get to another car.

One surprise experience for me was the driver was afraid of the rapid acceleration and asked me to get the car up the initial ramp. Putting it into chill mode will help with this problem.

I would also ask the driver to store the key far away from the car, so it does go to sleep properly.

I haven't looked for this statement in the manual, but there have been a number of owners that had cars "settle down" over parking stopper blocks when powered off and then rip the front bumper off when backing up, so I think there is anedoctal evidence that some cars at least will not self level when "asleep". Also a good reason to not park so close or to back in to parking spots.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I loaded about 450 lbs of cargo into the back of my Model S and noticed the tail sagging until I turned it on and it self leveled right after I turned it on. Again, suggests self leveling isn't active when off.