Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Studying this image, and the frame grab posted upthread showing Franz just about to exit the Roadster, has convinced me that the “double layer” pack theory is viable. This seat design is unusual in the degree to which it angles up the upper legs resulting in the feet naturally assuming a position about at the level of the seat occupants butt. I don’t know what that would feel like, but apparently Tesla is convinced that it is comfortable (it is a very different seat position from the original Roadster). What it does is allow the floor of the car to in effect be “thicker”. And the only reason I can envision as to why Tesla would design a seat that way would be to allow the battery pack height to be much greater than their current S/X/3 packs.
Good points

Roadster_Interior-1280x720.jpg

Not much space between your butt and the floor.

Reactions: 3Victoria and JRP3
Ok, did this on my phone, but using the front tire at reference, inner edge of wheel well to wheel well is 2 meters. Using rear tire width, distance from inner tire to inner tire is 1.3m, so with double stack, that is 5.2 m^2 area. 200 kWh maximally dense 2170s need 4.5 m^2, which is 87% of this estimated volume. Looks legit.

Another thought.
They're pricey, but imagine Electric GT using tuned New Roadsters? More power, double the battery. Very useful for racing. And extra interesting if the race is on the long side, forcing drivers to choose their speed. But less lame than Formula E where 170kW is too much to brake late and reach the finish. One race per weekend could be long, forcing energy and tire conservation, another short so the cars would be only heat limited.

This seat design is unusual in the degree to which it angles up the upper legs resulting in the feet naturally assuming a position about at the level of the seat occupants butt. I don’t know what that would feel like, but apparently Tesla is convinced that it is comfortable (it is a very different seat position from the original Roadster).
For many of us with chronic back problems, this seating position is quite irritating. This is one reason that I need more breaks driving my S compared to the X. The X is a much more upright seating position and therefore easier on my back.

Ok, did this on my phone, but using the front tire at reference, inner edge of wheel well to wheel well is 2 meters. Using rear tire width, distance from inner tire to inner tire is 1.3m, so with double stack, that is 5.2 m^2 area. 200 kWh maximally dense 2170s need 4.5 m^2, which is 87% of this estimated volume. Looks legit.

Here is the Model 3 80kWh pack. You see room for another 20kWh?

tesla-model-3-battery-pack-modules.jpg

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Elon discussing the potential of flight for the new Roadster

Should clarify that this is the base model performance. There will be a special option package that takes it to the next level.
Not saying the next gen Roadster special upgrade package *will* definitely enable it to fly short hops, but maybe … Certainly possible. Just a question of safety. Rocket tech applied to a car opens up revolutionary possibilities.

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

I'm assuming the Roadster wheelbase is the same or lesser than the Model 3. If so, currently, 80kWh, single layer, is all that will realistically fit considering safety margins and mounting considerations. As you've said, your measurements are estimates from a picture, not necessarily reality.

I'm assuming the Roadster wheelbase is the same or lesser than the Model 3. If so, currently, 80kWh, single layer, is all that will realistically fit considering safety margins and mounting considerations. As you've said, your measurements are estimates from a picture, not necessarily reality.

Well, it was a picture of the prototype from the video on Tesla's site. That seems more aligned with reality than assuming it's the same or less than the three.

Traditionally roadsters have a smaller wheelbase than sedans. Model 3 wheelbase is 113 inches, the original Tesla Roadster was 93 inches, what do you think the new Roadster wheelbase is?

Ya made me pull out the laptop, looks like 115 center to center from video.
2.1m wheel well to wheel well. that's longer than my original measurement by 5%.
1.23m inner rear wheel distance, a little smaller. Total area 5 m^2, 10% margin for cylinders.

I see the resemblance, widths line up too.

It seems like the whole platform concept doesn't make much sense without ICEs and transmission and such..

From your images:
Roadster:
WB 120
Well to well 2.2m

3:
WB 113

I'm more inclined to trust your image since the video has perspective and lens effect.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
So you think the new Roadster has a longer wheel base than the Model X, which is 116.7?

I think the image calculates out as a longer wheelbase 119-120 ish
Redoing the video I get 117, happy to check any other images.
It looks like they shoved the axles out as far as possible, length is 175 (possibly off due to nose point) v.s. 185 for the 3 , 196 for S, and 198 for X.
Here's an indication it's a real prototype:
roadster5_b.png

As noted by Saghost, tires on the Roadster are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s, 265/35-20 in front
Using this data I played around in paint and came up with the following. Obviously there is some room for error but I used the same methodology on both vehicles. I used a 20 inch rim for the Roadster and 19 inch rim for the Model 3. Actual Model 3 wheelbase is 113.2 so I'm off by 2.7 inches. I think it's reasonable to assume the Roadster and 3 are fairly close in wheel base, if not the same.

Roadster Model3 Comparison.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: sillydriver