Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shopping for a used X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved internationally and had to sell my beloved model 3. We are downsizing to a single car and thinking an X might be better than another 3 for our family. I have a test drive scheduled for next week as I have never actually driven one (just the S and the 3). I am looking for a 100D/LR with 6 or 7 seats and 20" wheels.

I have been reading about the shudder problems and I am wondering how prevalent it is.Will it be easy to reproduce if the car has the problem? Should I pass on any car that has it (we are going to be about an hour's drive from the nearest SC)?

Is there any other way to check the MCU version besides Tesla tap (and excluding cars from before March 2018)? I don't think I will be considering any MCU1 cars.

Is the 3rd row the same in all versions (with a 3rd row and MCU2)? I plan to keep them folded most of the time for cargo or moving my large, elderly dogs around.

Are there any other common issues that should be a hard pass from me when I am looking to buy?

I have heard that X software updates tend to lag on the X. Is this true/still the case?

Was it previously possible to get the carbon fiber trim on non-P models? I am not a fan of the wood, or white seats and I prefer the 20" wheels.

Anyone that has experience with the cars, is there anything that the 3 has that I might miss on the X? Driving the S I missed the motorized charging port (not a huge deal, but I kept forgetting to close it on my loaner). The control stalks behind the wheel seemed to be in strange places for me (i'm sure I'll get used to it). I love the simple wheel interface on the 3 steering wheel. I also hated that the seat position (for me) basically had the back of the seat to the rear of the b pillar.

I have been reading about the shudder problems and I am wondering how prevalent it is.Will it be easy to reproduce if the car has the problem? Should I pass on any car that has it
I had the shudder problem in my 2017 MX that was easily fixed. It was evident when doing any notable acceleration, like an on-ramp onto a highway. I have read of shudder problems in the Ravens that do not yet have a fix.
Was it previously possible to get the carbon fiber trim on non-P models?
Yes, it was once a separate option. I don’t remember when it disappeared - I’d guess some time in 2018.
Anyone that has experience with the cars, is there anything that the 3 has that I might miss on the X?
I have both a 3 and an X. Things I don’t like as well in the X:
- I think the front visibility is better in the 3. While the X has a more impressive windshield, the X’s dash feels onerous and clunky (not the layout, just the dash that blocks visibility of the immediate road in front of me)
- AP controls. I get used to them either place, but I do prefer the 3 implementation.
- the larger size of the X makes it not as maneuverable through tight places. Parking sometimes feels like docking a major tanker.
- pre-Raven versions don’t have the full 1-pedal driving capability down to 0 mph which was added in recent software updates.
- The X doesn’t always have the regen availability info showing. It is available on the binacle display, but if I have something else selected, I can’t see the status. I Like the sleek green line always present on the 3.

Reactions: dunati
I had the shudder problem in my 2017 MX that was easily fixed. It was evident when doing any notable acceleration, like an on-ramp onto a highway. I have read of shudder problems in the Ravens that do not yet have a fix.

Yes, it was once a separate option. I don’t remember when it disappeared - I’d guess some time in 2018.

I have both a 3 and an X. Things I don’t like as well in the X:
- I think the front visibility is better in the 3. While the X has a more impressive windshield, the X’s dash feels onerous and clunky (not the layout, just the dash that blocks visibility of the immediate road in front of me)
- AP controls. I get used to them either place, but I do prefer the 3 implementation.
- the larger size of the X makes it not as maneuverable through tight places. Parking sometimes feels like docking a major tanker.
- pre-Raven versions don’t have the full 1-pedal driving capability down to 0 mph which was added in recent software updates.
- The X doesn’t always have the regen availability info showing. It is available on the binacle display, but if I have something else selected, I can’t see the status. I Like the sleek green line always present on the 3.

With exception of being easier to park, these are all the reasons I dislike our new Model 3 LR and drive the Model X most of the time. I guess it what one is used to.

And still not liking the Model 3 display in the center only. I could handle it better if both cars had an HUD like my old BMW X3. You never take your eyes off the road with a HUD.

I was worried about having no standard instrument cluster behind the wheel, but I ended up loving the setup in the 3. Maybe it is just because I am tall, but in almost every car I have had, my preferred driving position placed the wheel over the most important parts. I liked having an unobstructed view of everything.

That said, I made the mistake last year of renting a Camaro SS convertible for fun on vacation. It was so boring to drive, but the low-res monochrome HUD was great. A couple more pixels and some color and it would be amazing. Definitely wish Tesla would offer one