Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm honestly not sure which direction this will move the stock. To buy at open or not...

Anyone have a guess what a military-grade titanium/aluminum shield would cost to make and install?
$1000 as a retrofit, maybe? And maybe $200 when installed on the production line?

The aluminium bar and aluminium extrusion will be dirt cheap. The titanium plate seems to replace the plastic cover underneath the front end, to protect the frunk-area. So it's not a massive area, and you need to deduct the cost of the plastic cover.

One important question here is how much this will eat in to the gross margins for the next few quarters. In my book it's a good move from Tesla that indicates that, just as it has always been, safety, reliability and quality are in focus and "money is not an issue" when it comes to safety. I like this approach better than any alternative.

NHTSA closed!

e2epetuq.jpg

Last edited:
I like how Elon reserved the news for the day when NHTSA closed their investigation. The shield has been in production since March 6, so they could have announced it earlier, but this way they are taking control of the conversation. It blunts the possible effect of the NHTSA weasel words: "The closing of the investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that a safety-related defect does not exist." (this really sounds like standard language.)

Case in point: CNBC mentioned the NHTSA investigation this morning, but not a word about the shield (maybe they didn't know yet?) Had just the NHTSA bit been in the news today, the shorts could have spun it, but the way it is... RUN FOR COVER!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.